• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

the tradition of upanyasams ....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apte's dictionary says:

placing near to, juxtaposition, a pledge, a statement

usu. used to describe a spiritual discourse.

As per Monier williams on line dictionary

http://www.sanskrit-lexicon.uni-koeln.de/monier/

one of the meaning is "to explain".

It is the meaning and intrepretation of religious texts. That is what our Upanyasa pundits do. Sengalipuram Ananda Rama Dikshidar and Kripananda Warier were two of the famous Upanyasam people.

This is a long standing tradition in Tamil Nadu. It used to be held in temples. It has moved to public halls now.

It is there in other states also. In Hindi it is called Pravachan. You could call them spritual lectures. The most famous exponent today in Hindi is Ashramji.

Dear Nacchi swamy:
Thank you. And, great to see you back.
Yes, now that you mentioned Sri Ananta Rama Dikshitar, I remember attending his discourses in Madurai when I was a boy!
Thanks to Soham, too.

As per Monier williams on line dictionary

http://www.sanskrit-lexicon.uni-koeln.de/monier/

one of the meaning is "to explain".

It is the meaning and intrepretation of religious texts. That is what our Upanyasa pundits do. Sengalipuram Ananda Rama Dikshidar and Kripananda Warier were two of the famous Upanyasam people.

This is a long standing tradition in Tamil Nadu. It used to be held in temples. It has moved to public halls now.

It is there in other states also. In Hindi it is called Pravachan. You could call them spritual lectures. The most famous exponent today in Hindi is Ashramji.

Hello Sri Nacchinarkiniyan Ji,

Welcome back! Please stay. I for one is overjoyed. Namaskarams.

Regards
KRS

hi all,
Namaskarams..i like to say the tradition of upanyasams....its is very useful for layman to understand bhakthi/difficult vedantic philosophy.....generally
connected from 18 puranas.basically srimad bhagavatha purana is
the main source of upanyasams.i think Sri Narada is main upanyasa karta
and formost teacher in upanyasams........based on evidence Sri sukadeva
muni given upanyasams to Raja Parikshit about Sri Bhagavatha purana
for 7 days in the early days of Kali yuga. In old days.....the upanyasams
used to conduct in Royal courts......not for common man.......but it
is vibrant medium for masses later years.......still is very useful tool
to understand puranic stories.....

Regards
tbs

Status
Not open for further replies.