• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

multi generation houses for retired citizens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many senior citizens are finding in difficult to stay in the same flat with son and daughter in law due to variuos reasons known to all

people tackle it in various ways

business families build multi story houses with two floor or more to accomodate parents in ground floor and the sons in higher floors
there is autonomy for parents and children . this is the most common model in delhi

single daughter family have to face the issue of supporting their own parents in addition to inlaws

My niece faced with the issue , built a huge bangalow with three bedrooms in each floor with outhouse .

she is an architect with own company for consruction / she housed the four senior citizen on ground floor and lives on first floor with two adult children

since has cook and servants ,uses the outhouse for accomodating them. she could afford to do it because of her profession

I was reading an article in a newspaper about multigeneration houses in germany

their urban development minister has built over 500 such houses accomodating three generations

the ground floor is a nursery for children

the firstfloor is a social centre for the elderly .they have a sitting room reserved for over 60s

and a separate area where young couple can drop in for coffee and advise from elderly

pensionars spend their time reading to children as volunteers in addition to offering rent a granny service for harasssed parents.

in return , teenagers help elderly to use latest mobiles ,computers .

govt spends 40000pounds per year on each centre. the balance is thru charities and donations .

there is an agency in chennai which picks up elderly inthe morning, engages them for the day and returns them in the evening . a boon for working couples .

for emergency care another sends emergency paid workers for taking them to hospital and be with them for a very short period until family members arrive and make appropriate arrangements . these are for aiding parents and relatives of NRIs in india

20 percent of indias population will be senior citzen by 2050 . so there is a crisis in the offing . beware senior citizen.

Last edited:
Krishji,

A good idea...One of my friend is a blessed one..He is single child..His wife is also single child..The couple have a single child...He has put his elderly inlaws a few houses away (His flat has shortage of space)..The food is cooked common...The elders spend the evening together...They help each other...The daughter is able to take care of her parents too..A good way to treat the elderly!

vganeji
this kind of fall back mechanism can be built up in all homes specially if they are a working couple .

they can have backup houses for parents and parents in law .

food can be shared if possible . all enjoy a degree of freedom .

children ofworking couple can leave their kids with parents of either side depending on comfort level with them.

but it requires planning

mycolleague with a working wife immediately shifted near his inlaws as a fall back .

this is very common in delhi

inlaws taking care of kids during day and working couple taking care in return in laws both physical and financial in some cases .

this mutual dependance works to the satisfaction of both

Last edited:
hi

i saw recently here in USA....the building company construction site......they are building 3 kinds of construction...1 single homes.....

2 town homes means row houses.....3 55+ active senior citizen condomoniums....here ONLY SENIOR CITIZENS ARE ALLOWED...

they provide neccessary senior citizen requirements in these condomoniums....we have to learn from them...how to respect/

needs of a senior citizen....here money not ONLY oriented ...but some kind of community responsibilty too...i like these kind

of attitudes towards senior citizen...

Can you please explain the concept of condomoniums.
what are the facilities there ?

for comforts
for medical aid
for physical drill / exercises /jogging etc
for home nursing requirements
for company
for security
for entertainment
for conduisive food
for service to others
and for get together meets

We can take some cue from these ventures and also start constructing some three star homes for the seniors on a cooperative scale

Can you please explain the concept of condomoniums.
what are the facilities there ?

for comforts
for medical aid
for physical drill / exercises /jogging etc
for home nursing requirements
for company
for security
for entertainment
for conduisive food
for service to others
and for get together meets

We can take some cue from these ventures and also start constructing some three star homes for the seniors on a cooperative scale

Take a look at this site

The Villages - Lifestyle
Senior Assisted Living & Care Midlothian-Richmond VA, Independent Living, Memory Care
Dearborn Heights Senior Living | American House Dearborn Heights Senior Living in Dearborn Heights, MI 48127

hi

i saw recently here in USA....the building company construction site......they are building 3 kinds of construction...1 single homes.....

2 town homes means row houses.....3 55+ active senior citizen condomoniums....here ONLY SENIOR CITIZENS ARE ALLOWED...

they provide neccessary senior citizen requirements in these condomoniums....we have to learn from them...how to respect/

needs of a senior citizen....here money not ONLY oriented ...but some kind of community responsibilty too...i like these kind

of attitudes towards senior citizen...
this pattern of construction sites catering to senior citizens along with flats and row houses for others are being offered by some builders in india . in bangalore Tata housing has got one . there may be others

this pattern of construction sites catering to senior citizens along with flats and row houses for others are being offered by some builders in india . in bangalore Tata housing has got one . there may be others

My relative just bought a house in a similar project in Chennai. They have the senior living quarters adjacent to flats open for all ages. They are separated by a fence. The only thing they have in common is the club house, walking trails. The seniors can use all facilities, but others are nor allowed in the senior section except by invitation.

hi

i heard that there is a senior citizen home in florida,USA called SHANTHINIKETAN...my known friend is moving there with his wife

next week...i heard that its full of desis...in the kitchen....they have hindu food/jain food etc....a lot of gujarati doctors are

moving there....

hi

i heard that there is a senior citizen home in florida,USA called SHANTHINIKETAN...my known friend is moving there with his wife

next week...i heard that its full of desis...in the kitchen....they have hindu food/jain food etc....a lot of gujarati doctors are

moving there....
We went and saw that project when they only had phase-1. It is townhouse complex with a common kitchen. Mr. Iggy had tough time selling it, but now the phase-1 is completely sold out. He has started phase-2 comprising of single family homes. It is for desies only. It is not a nursing home. It is 45 minutes north of Orlando. The orlando airport is about 1+ hour away. Not much of activity in the community itself. I do not know if I will be happy there.

We are all growing old and we are concerned about it because even if we have wealth, will we have the health to enjoy it ? The chances of our children looking after us at the time of our death is very remote now a days. They will surely be there to inherit our property after our death. You cannot help it. Hence it is imperative that we live a decent retired life with peace, philosophy, prayers, social activities, exercises, good vegetarian brahmin food, religious get togethers, attending upanyasams and listening carnatic music,and frequent medical checkups and nursing assistance (whenever required) plus a twenty four hour security availability. Let the shelter be in Florida or UK or Canada or Bangalore or Pune or Coimbatore or Trivandrum. Whether there is a mall nearby is of no significance. Whether the airport is nearby, the metro station is nearby, cinema theatres, schools, colleges are nearby have no consequence as we grow over 65 or 70. The weather should be fine, the people around should be compatible to us, the food should be palatable and there should be some activity according to our fitness. There should be peace around and that should be ok for breathing for the last time in this earth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back