• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Abhishekham of Temple Murthis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Namaste all,

What does it mean/symbolise, etc. when we perform abhishekham to murthis of Lord Shiva (in the form of Linga), Lord Ganesha and Lord Venkateshvara? At my temple, these are the three moola vigrahas that get abhishekhams. The other deities we have that may or may not get abhishekham would be our utsava vigrahas.

I was at a recent Sankatahara Chaturthi and Lord Ganesha got the abhishekham, and I couldn't help but wonder what it all meant. It was really an awesome experience, especially as he is my ishta devata.

Thank you!

Regards,

Justin

Simple if you give a penny to a good person , he'll return a pound.

~Simple if you give a penny to a good person , he'll return a pound.~

Well, that's one way of approaching.

The other way is approaching is no-expectations. To offer with the pre-expectation that it will bring a reward is pretty much...hmm ignorance one might say. Not sure if we can be the ones to decide whether it will ever be rewarded or not.

Abhishekams are done because its belived the God is alive. The God is considered alive bcoz of the yantra (s) beneath the idol. This has to do with the agamic shastras. I cud give a few inputs, but hope someone will explain this in detail here.

Regards.

Saint Thirumoolar said:

"Marathai maraithadhu mamadha yaanai;
Marathil maraindhadhu mamadha yaanai.

Parathai maraithadhu paar mudhal bootham;
Parathil maraindhadhu paar mudhal bootham"

Meaning is, an elephant made of wood, is after all a piece of wood, if looked that way.
But, for a small child, who can understand what an elephant is and remembers its
outward looks, that piece of wood itself is an elephant.

Similarly, if you see the external world as manifestations of the same source - brahmam, you will see that brahmam only in every other species, objects and places.
But, a person who has not realised this, would see the external world as composition of various objects, species and places, disjoint and different from each other.
The totality is missing here.

Kannadasan also wrote:

"Deivam endral adhu deivam;
Verum silai endral verum silai thaan.
Undu endral adhu undu;
Illai endral adhu illai"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back