• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Kathirikai Kara Kuzhambu (Spicy Brinjal Gravy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kathirikai Kara Kuzhambu (Spicy Brinjal Gravy)

Labels: Kuzhambu, South indian Posted by Sadhana Padmanabhan

This is very famous Chettinadu dish. This gravy is served with steamed white rice for a main meal. It also serves as a good accompaniment with piping hot dosa or Idli. The secret to relish this dish is it tastes better the next day. I made some changes in masala process and you can make this recipe very fast and tasty. Though the name is Kara Kuzhambu, I don’t add too much karam (chili powder) or Puli (tamarind). I add tomatoes, so it takes very little tamarind. I also used less coconut in this recipe. In this recipe I added Jaggery , because it will give slight sweetness and also preservative. You can store this gravy for a week.

Ingredients:

Purple color Brinjal – 10 nos

Tamarind – Small Lemon size
Turmeric Powder – ½ tsp
Oil – 2 tbsp
Salt – to taste

Seasoning:

Mustard seeds – ½ tsp

Curry leaves – 1 stem
Chenna dhal – 1 tsp
Whole red chillies – 2 nos
Grated Jaggery – 1tbsp
Hing – ¼ tsp

To be Grind:

Tomato – 2no (mince)

Grated coconut – 3 tbsp
Sambhar Powder (Kuzhambu Podi) – 2 tbsp
Coriander powder – 1/2 tsp
Fennel powder – ¼ tsp (Optional)

Method:

• Soak the tamarind in hot water and make tamarind extract and keep aside.
  • Cut tomatoes and Brinjal like medium pieces.
  • Heat oil in kadai, fry coconut till brown then add Sambhar powder, coriander powder, fennel powder , tomatoes and Hing. Fry for two minute.
  • Grind that masala very fine paste. Keep aside.

• Heat the oil in kadai, add seasonings and fry till mustard seed crackles, add Brinjal, turmeric powder and fry for a minute. Add tamarind extract, salt and cook for 5 minutes.

Add grounded masala in it and mix everything well and allow the gravy to cook for further 8 minutes or till the gravy turns to the consistency of Sambhar. Add Jaggery powder and cook for 2 minutes

Note: In this recipe instead of Sambhar powder you can use 1 tbsp red chili powder,1 tsp coriander powder, 1/2 tsp Hing.

Katharikai.JPG

Source:Kathirikai Kara Kuzhambu (Spicy Brinjal Gravy) | Madappalli - Temple's Kitchen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back