• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Vegetable Khichdi Recipe-Khichdi in Pressure cooker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vegetable Khichdi Recipe-Khichdi in Pressure cooker

Khichdi is a very popular recipe prepared with rice, dal and some spices. It is not only filling and delicious but also very comforting. I usually prepare it with tur dal or moong dal or masoor dal or a combination of any of the mentioned two dals. When you do not have time to prepare any elaborate meals, but want something healthy, then Khichdi is a great option. For me, it is one of my comfort food and I love to have it piping hot with raita or papads. I have used only potatoes and peas but you can add more vegetables like carrot, beans and cauliflower. Today we will learn how to make vegetable dal khichdi following our easy recipe.

Vegetable Khichdi with carrot raita

How to prepare Vegetable Khichdi

Prep time -under 10 mins
Cook time - under 20 mins
Serves - 1

Ingredients needed
Raw Rice - 1/2 cup
Dal - 1/4 cup (I used mix of tur dal + split yellow mung dal )
Water - 2 1/2 cups
Onion -1 (medium size)
Green chilli - 1 slit
Ginger-garlic paste -1/2 tsp
Potato -1 medium size
Green peas (fresh or frozen) -1/4 cup
Salt needed

Dry powder

Turmeric powder -1/4 tsp
Chilli powder -1 tsp
Coriander powder -3/4 tsp
Garam masala powder - 1/4 tsp

For the seasoning

Oil - 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Cumin seeds/jeera -3/4 tsp
Whole black pepper -1/4 tsp
Hing - a generous pinch
Curry leaves - few

Top up seasoning

Ghee -2-3 tsp
Cumin seeds/jeera - 1/2 tsp
Red chillies -1
Garlic - 3-4 cloves finely chopped
Preparation

Wash and soak rice and dal for 30 minutes in hot water.

Wash, peel the skin and cut potato into cubes. Chop onions and keep it aside.

Method

Heat oil in a pan (I used pressure pan), add mustard seeds, jeera seeds, when they sizzle, add whole black pepper, curry leaves and hing.

Then add chopped onions and saute until onions turn transparent.

Now add ginger garlic paste (if you do not have ginger garlic paste, you can add finely chopped ginger and garlic) and saute for a few more minutes.

Now add the chopped potatoes and peas.(you can also add 3-4 beans, 1/2 a carrot and 4-5 cauliflower florets to make it even more nutritious)

Add turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder and saute for 2-3 seconds.

Then add the soaked dal + rice (after draining the water- you can use this water to add to the rice after sauteing) and saute for a few more seconds.

Add 2 1/2 cups of water, salt needed and bring it to boil.(taste the water to check for salt, if it is slightly salty, it will be perfect once cooked)

Close the cooker and pressure cook for 3 whistles.

Once the pressure subsides, open the cooker and see how lovely it it. Mix it gently.

Now we will do the top up seasoning - Heat 3 tsp of ghee, add cumin seeds, when it sizzles, add red chilli, finely chopped garlic, saute for a few seconds and pour it over the khichdi.

Serve Khichdi piping hot with any raita (pachadi) or papads or pickles. This is a very simple recipe which even beginners can try with confidence.

Note

The quantity of water differs according to the type of rice used. I added 2 1/2 cup of water as I love my khichdi mushy. Total rice + dal mix is 3/4 cup-so I added double the water (ie) 1 1/2 cup +1 cup extra. If you do not want your khichdi mushy, then add less water.

As it cools, khichdi becomes slightly thicker - in that case add a little hot water and heat it.

Vegetable Khichdi Recipe-Khichdi in Pressure cooker | Padhuskitchen

Seeing the name Padhuskitchen, I thought this is your blog, P J Sir! :)

I use pressure cooker for every preparation including 'bendi curry'!! :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back