• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Tiffen Sambar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tiffen Sambar

Tiffin Sambar is similar to our regular sambar, but the amount of toor dal and tamarind is reduced and a freshly ground powder is added to give that unique flavor. This Sambar should be slightly watery which would make it best suitable for tiffin items. Some prefer to add jaggery to this sambar but I do not do that. I like to add carrot, beans and potatoes to this Sambar. You can always add other vegetables too. Do not overcook the vegetables they should be slightly crunchy which gives that restaurant style touch.

DSC_8998.jpg

Preparation Time : 10 minutes

Cooking Time : 15 minutes

Serves : 4

Ingredients

Toor Dal/Tuvaram Paruppu - 1/4 cup
Small Onion/Pearl Onion - 10 - 15 no
Tomato - 1 no
Carrot - 2 no
Beans - 6 - 10 no
Potato - 1 no
Tamarind - small goose berry sized piece
Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
Garlic flakes - 2 no
Green Chilly - 1 no
Mustard - 1 tsp
Asafoetida - a pinch
Curry Leaves - 2 sprigs
Coriander Leaves - for garnish
Salt for taste
Oil - 2 tsp

For roasting and grinding

Red Chilly - 2 - 3 no
Channa Dal/Kadala Paruppu - 1/2 tbsp
Coriander Seeds - 1/2 tbsp
Cumin Seeds/Jeeragam - 1/2 tsp
Fenugreek Seeds/Venthayam - 5 - 6 no
Oil - 1 tsp

Preparation

• Peel the pearl onions and wash them once and cut them into halves.
  • Wash and cut the vegetables, tomato, green chilly into medium size pieces.
  • Pressure cook the toor dal with the turmeric and the garlic flakes for 1 whistle.
  • Add 1 tsp oil and roast the channa dal, cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds, red chilies, adding one after other for about 2 minutes in medium flame. Allow the contents to cool down and grind it to a coarse powder.
  • Soak the tamarind in 1/2 cup water and extract juice and keep aside.

Method

• Heat 2 tsp oil in a kadai/wok, add the mustard followed by the asafoetida.
  • When mustard starts to splutter add the onions, curry leaves, green chilly and salt. Saute until onion turns translucent.
  • Next add the chopped tomatoes and saute until they turn mushy.
  • Add the chopped vegetables, mix and allow them to cook for few minutes.
  • Next add the tamarind extract along with 1 cup water and cook in closed state for about 5 minutes.
  • When the raw smell of the tamarind is gone add the cooked dal, ground powder and stir well.
  • Cook for additional 5 minutes. Garnish with coriander leaves.
  • Serve hot with Dosa, Idly, Pongal etc.,

Notes

• I add garlic flakes to the dal before cooking. You can skip that if you do not like garlic in your cooking.
  • Do not burn any of the contents while roasting as it would spoil the taste of the Sambar.
  • Add little extra water as per your required consistency if needed.

Tiffin Sambar | Side dish for Idly, Dosa, Pongal ~ From My Home Kitchen

We call this as 'arachchuvitta sAmbAr', P J Sir. Some ladies in my family prepare this everyday!

But it is a special item in my sweet home! I use only sAmbAr powder for the 'sAmbAr base' I prepare. :)

mam, u remind me of parthasarathy sabha and music academy sappadu

P.j. நீங்க தந்துள்ள சாம்பாரில் சீரகம் போட்டிருக்கிங்க நான் போடமாட்டேன், ஒருமுறை போட்டு செய்து பார்த்துவிட்டு எழுதுகிறேன் :) பகிர்வுக்கு நன்றி !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back