• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

How are time measured /calculated before advent of clock?

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

V.Balasubramani

Pranams,

How was Panchangam/astrological almanac, prepared before invention of clock?

Wikipedia saysthat clock was invented during the period of 13th century.

In Panchangam, normally we do find the timings of Tithi (Date), Vara (daysof the week), Nakshatra (Group of stars), Yog/Yoga (an auspiciousmoment) and Karan (Half of the part of Tithi)etc and the timingswere like this. For example (Date:19.12.2013) :- Tithi: Thuvitiyai:31.32(P.M.7.0), Punarpoosam: 60, Thiyaj: 27.5, Ragu:11/2 - 3, Emagandam: 6-71/2 – Sun rise:6.24, etc

What I found from the Wiki is the use of Sundials and water clocks before invention of clock.

How was Kaalam measured before invention of Clock?

How was timings like hours, minutes, and seconds were determined or calculated at that time when there was no clock? Whether such calculations were so precise?

Like to know more on this.

With regards

Last edited by a moderator:
Pranams,

How was Panchangam/astrological almanac, prepared before invention of clock?

Wikipedia saysthat clock was invented during the period of 13th century.

In Panchangam, normally we do find the timings of Tithi (Date), Vara (daysof the week), Nakshatra (Group of stars), Yog/Yoga (an auspiciousmoment) and Karan (Half of the part of Tithi)etc and the timingswere like this. For example (Date:19.12.2013) :- Tithi: Thuvitiyai:31.32(P.M.7.0), Punarpoosam: 60, Thiyaj: 27.5, Ragu:11/2 - 3, Emagandam: 6-71/2 – Sun rise:6.24, etc

What I found from the Wiki is the use of Sundials and water clocks before invention of clock.

How was Kaalam measured before invention of Clock?

How was timings like hours, minutes, and seconds were determined or calculated at that time when there was no clock? Whether such calculations were so precise?

Like to know more on this.

With regards

Have you been quite familiar with Panchangas? Or, are you a novice?

Have you been quite familiar with Panchangas? Or, are you a novice?

Sri Sangom Ji,

1) What is your level of knowledge on the subject viz Panchang/Astrology?
2) Do you have any proof to establish?
3) Why do you kept silent when there was an 'Open letter' from Ms. P.R. Radhakrishnan on this subject?
4) Do you have any knowledge about Mahakavi Kalidasar's Book 'UTTARAKALAMRITAM 'pertaining to great and celestial science of Astrology?

Sri Sangom Ji,

1) What is your level of knowledge on the subject viz Panchang/Astrology?
2) Do you have any proof to establish?
3) Why do you kept silent when there was an 'Open letter' from Ms. P.R. Radhakrishnan on this subject?
4) Do you have any knowledge about Mahakavi Kalidasar's Book 'UTTARAKALAMRITAM 'pertaining to great and celestial science of Astrology?

I don't claim any great knowledge on the subject of Panchaangam/Astrology, but I have some fairly good knowledge about both. I have no certificate to support my knowledge. BTW, these days I am reading an e-book on "Muhurta Sindhu" by one Shri Iranganti Rangacharya.

My question was to know, before explaining, your level of knowledge so that I could decide whether I should proceed from the very basics or whether I can assume that you will know certain things.

Honestly, I did not see the "Open letter" and there is no programme in this Forum to compulsorily make you see all unseen threads/posts.

Anyway, now I am happy and relieved that you don't deserve any further reply. Bye, Bye for this thread!

Mahakavi Kalidasar who authored the Book UTTARAKALAMRITAM 'pertaining to great and celestial science of Astrology- pertains to the period of 5th century AD, as per Wikipedia.

The first mechanical clocks, employing the verge escapement mechanism with a foliot or balance wheel timekeeper, were invented in Europe at around the start of the 14th century.

Hope one will agree with me that for a near accurate prediction of a Horoscope of an individual, the exact time of birth is very important.

In stanza four, it was mentioned in the UTTARAKALAMRITAM as under:

உத்திர காலாமிர்தம் (ஜோதிட இந்து சாஸ்திர நூல் )

குழந்தை பிறந்த நேரத்தையும் கிரக நிலையையும் கண்டறித.ல்

"அத ஜன்ம காலாதி ஸா தன விதிமாஹ - நாட்யாத்யோ ஜனுஷி ஷ்புடஸ்ச் சமய ஸங்கோஸ்ச
யந்த்ராதிபி:

ஸாத்யோ ஸ ஹர்திசமத்ர ஸாசயனரவே :

ஷ்யாதிஷ்டகாலாதபி கேடான் த்ருக்கணிதைக்யஜான் ஸ்புடதரான் ராஷ்யாதிகான் ஸாதயேத்

பாவான் ஸந்தியுதான் குரோஸ்து க்ருபயா ஸாஹ்லாதசித்த ஸீதி:"

சூரிய உதயத்திலிருந்து ஜெனன காலம்வரை சென்ற நாழிகையை இயந்திர சாதனங்கல் மூலமாக முதலில் கண்டரியவேண்டும்.

Now I am interested to know what was this இயந்திர சாதன
ம் that was used then to record the exact time.

With regards.

Gola Yantra= Astronomical instrument in globe shape
Chaya Yantra based on Surya and Moon's shadow
Toya yantra - A water clock
Phalaka Yantra- An astronomical instrument fond by Bhaskara
google more on bhaskara if you need more information.

In vedic period stars, during night and shadows of Sun in day was followed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back