• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Vishnu Sahasranamam clarification

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,
I have a question on Vishnu sahasranamam. At the phala shruthi, before the verse "Sri rama rama ramethi" it says "Eshwara uvaca" . Whom does it refer to? Is it Shiva??

I know Bhagavanuvaca refers to Sri Krishna, but i think Eshwara uvaca comes only once in the whole text.

Like the quintessential woman, Parvathi asks for a shortcut to reciting the whole of the VS and then Isvara, i.e., Siva reportedly says that just saying "rama rama" twice would tantamount to reciting the whole of VS. That should make you understand how highly inflated and hence, useless, VS is. Possibly Siva was hitting 3 birds with one stone — vishnu, vyasa and Mahabharata !;)

Hi All,
I have a question on Vishnu sahasranamam. At the phala shruthi, before the verse "Sri rama rama ramethi" it says "Eshwara uvaca" . Whom does it refer to? Is it Shiva??

I know Bhagavanuvaca refers to Sri Krishna, but i think Eshwara uvaca comes only once in the whole text.

Like Iyya said it is pointing to Shiva. I did not hear Shiva say it, but the poets involved thought that it would add importance if you hear out of Shiva's mouth.

Goddess Meenakshi the "incarnation" of Parvathy has a parrot on her shoulders which spells Rama, Rama always into her ear. In so many ways the ancient people have been trying to tell that every thing is one and the same. But we have inherited blurred visions according to our egos.

Goddess Meenakshi the "incarnation" of Parvathy has a parrot on her shoulders which spells Rama, Rama always into her ear. In so many ways the ancient people have been trying to tell that every thing is one and the same. But we have inherited blurred visions according to our egos.

Dear Shri Iyya,

The same "Meenakshi" is considered as the unique daughter of some chieftain and that she was born with three breasts of which the centre-piece would disappear the moment she eyes the man destined for her.

With what you consider as "blurred vision" caused by "ego", I find this story highly fanciful. This princess with 3 boobs was very haughty and had to be tamed by a proper man. Now you say her parrot always shouts ("spell" will be wrong since the parrot may not be 'spelling' raa & ma or R-A-M-A) rama in her ears; what else can this be except an attempt to remind that அடங்காப்பிடாரி princes about another prince of yore who caused an epic to be written?

Again, when the ancient Indian ladies were extolled for their paathivratyam, why would a goddess or a divine princess want to know about any man other than her husband?

Or, is it a simple "scratch my back, & I shall scratch yours" kind of rapport between Rama & Siva?

In any case, after having wasted enough time to compose the whole of VS, it is really foolish for any one to comment that instead of reciting the whole VS it is enough to just say "Rama Rama". May be it would have been slightly better if the advice were to just say "Viswam aayudhaH", being the first and last words of the VS proper.

Sangom Sir: The allusion to parrot and Meenakshi was to tell the greatness of "Ramanaama mahimai". Every man has inner aspiration to reach or to know of him and every one cannot master Vedas, Puraannas, worded Bhajans. Rama Naama is to just simplify the approach. But in today's fast moving and texting world, even RaMa will serve the purpose. Some people in Delhi must be seeing "Arvind Kejriwal" as "Kalki". But still man will keep seeking because that is his nature. I see you are trying to create a rift between Shiva and Parvaty! But they are inseparable!

Dear Sangom sir,

The legend goes like this. When Shiva asks parvati to accompany him for the bhoolokha sanchara. Parvathi asked this question oh lord I want to recite the VS and since I can't accompany you now. So if there is a laghu VS recitation which is there please let me know. So Lord Shiva Recited that Sri Rama Rama Ramethi verses. And traditionally in Mahabharata Verses you won't find these verses. So this was an additional inclusion later on. Then one more important thing Rama and Shiva are different. I say 'No'. One should read the rama rahasyopanishad where the dhyana slokha of Sri rama identify him as a person with three eyes. So there is a abheda between Rama and Shiva. And Rama naama was prevailing before rama avatara. And i sincerely don't agree comment like this it is really foolish for any one to comment that instead of reciting the whole VS it is enough to just say "Rama Rama" It is from the mouth of Lord Shiva, so it will never be foolish comment. And what you think of Lord Shiva whispering Tharaka Rama mantra to the ears of the people who shed their mortal coil and because of this tharaka mantra they attain moksha in Kashi. So My humble request to a you never underestimate "Rama" Naama. As I have already mentioned, this nama when we recite ra we can feel air moving out from our mouth and when we say ma our lips get closed. So ancient rishis identified that once we say rama our papas are getting wiped off. The greatness of rama nama can be found in Bhagavan nama kaumudi.

Thanks
C.R.Bala

om namah shivayah

Sri Sacchidananda Shiva Abhinava Sri Nrsimha Bharti Thirtha Charanaaravindhabhyaam namah
Sri Chandrasekhara saraswathi mahaswami Charanaaravindhabhyaam namah
Sri Chandrasekhara bharati thirtha Charanaaravindhabhyaam namah

Dear Shri Iyya,

The same "Meenakshi" is considered as the unique daughter of some chieftain and that she was born with three breasts of which the centre-piece would disappear the moment she eyes the man destined for her.

With what you consider as "blurred vision" caused by "ego", I find this story highly fanciful. This princess with 3 boobs was very haughty and had to be tamed by a proper man. Now you say her parrot always shouts ("spell" will be wrong since the parrot may not be 'spelling' raa & ma or R-A-M-A) rama in her ears; what else can this be except an attempt to remind that அடங்காப்பிடாரி princes about another prince of yore who caused an epic to be written?

Again, when the ancient Indian ladies were extolled for their paathivratyam, why would a goddess or a divine princess want to know about any man other than her husband?

Or, is it a simple "scratch my back, & I shall scratch yours" kind of rapport between Rama & Siva?

In any case, after having wasted enough time to compose the whole of VS, it is really foolish for any one to comment that instead of reciting the whole VS it is enough to just say "Rama Rama". May be it would have been slightly better if the advice were to just say "Viswam aayudhaH", being the first and last words of the VS proper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back