• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Sri Dakshinamurthy sthothram

Status
Not open for further replies.

N.R.Ranganathan

The following incident took place at Sri Ramanashram,Tiruvannamalai some
decades ago.

It was a Mahasivaratri day. The devotees dined along with the Bhagawan.
Then they all assembled in the main hall and the Maharishi was reclining on
the bed in his usual pose and poise. It was 8 in the night.

A devotee got up, paid obeisance to the Bhagawan and requested him :
" Bhagawan , today is an auspicious day, MahaSivaratri. We all will be
grateful if Bhagawan could explain to us the meaning of Dakshinamurthy
sthothram."

Bhagawan replied " yes, I shall. Please sit down. "

All sat down. Bhagawan did not speak anything. He was silent. All those
assembled there were looking at Bhagawan. Bhagawan was looking at
them, Grace oozing out of his eyes.

There was total silence. No one moved; nothing moved except time.

The clock struck nine... Still Bhagawan was silent. Stillness everywhere.

Time moved forward. The clock struck ten, eleven, twelve., one, two,
three.

It was all silence, total and complete. All the assembled devotees and the
Bhagawan were looking at each other.

No one did even whisper. They were all transported to a Divine world. It was
Bliss all over.

And the clock struck four. Maharishi got up. It took them a minute to
realize this small movement and they too got up.

Maharishi said : " Now, you all know the meaning of Dakshinamurthy
sthothram " and he walked away.

This incident was narrated by sri T.K.Sundaresa Iyer, an ardent devotee
of Bhagawan Ramana Maharishi.

Indeed, silence is eloquent.

Last edited:
Enn Palli konderaiya! Sri Ranganathare Enn Palli konderaiya...
Thathu pithu ularalgali porukka mudiyathathalo
Chintai thanai maranthu pesiathalo...
Enn palli konderaiya! Sri Rangnathare Enn Palli konderaiya...

Arthamarra varthaikalai sakiyaththalo
kurramulla varthaikalai porukka mudiathathalo
Enn palli konderaiya! Sri Rangnathare Enn Palli konderaiya...

Maybe Ramana Maharishi realised how tired he was explaining again and again and again and finally hit the nail on the head,Pallikattu Thiruvannamalikku ...Kallum Moolum Kalu kku Medhai...Swamiye Sharnam Ramanappa!!!

sb

:)

sb

good one

if by maunam , the teaching can be imparted - then why the teaching exists?, why the Guru-Parampara exists, why shastra exists? My goodness..

The "Truth" becomes so mystical that even, if it is apparent people miss that, What an Irony?

Regards

silence

M M

When Mahaswamigal used to go off in "Mounam " and all devotees would be sitting ducks without quacking,believe me,the atmosphere used to be charged with yogic power of Mahaswamigal.

But ,in my personal opinion, H H Jayendra Saraswathi ,is more down to earth Guruji,and one can converse with him as well as with H H Vijayendra Saraswathi,without getting tongue tied,as with Mahaswamigal.At least this has been my experiance.Same way with Bhagavan Sathya Sai Baba,totally tongue tied,and tears rolling down my cheeks,for no apparent reason.

But with Ammachi,for me,she is the womb of spiritual love.In her presence,"Mei Marandu Azhutheain " ( Cry of a son ).

sb

:)

Last edited:
What Bhagawan teaches is Logical
What Bhaktal wants is Mystical
The Irony is Tragical
Let us be Analytical
Else we would be caught in life and death Cyclical
Please don't think I'm cynical , I'm just critical

Nacchi!

The link is about calming the turbulent mind of Bhaktas nothing about Gnana.

Regards

Thanks, MM. I have felt this kind of Mouna transmission. Whenever I used to go to my Guru with some questions, there will be a large number of people waiting to consult him regarding their wordly problems. He will ask me to sit near him and will continue talking to others. I will be sitting there for some hours and would leave only when the Guru retired. But by that time I would have got the answers to my questions. Rarely did I ever put my questions in words.

May be, but if "Ultimate Truth" can be taught by Maunam , then what is the need of all the Shastras, Bhasyams etc...

Infact - Shravana, Manana and Nidhidhyasam is the order of teaching.

Shravanam means to hear - In maunam what one hear?
Mananam means logical understanding, again it requires a seeker to ask question and get the answers - all involves converstion.

Though I agree , sometimes if while doing introspection - we get the answers from us. When we are calm, we could think and analyse much more than when we are agitated, in that sense may be we get the needed calm to think clearly near a presence of a "Mahan"

Regards

we get the answers from us. When we are calm, we could think and analyse much more than when we are agitated, in that sense may be we get the needed calm to think clearly near a presence of a "Mahan"
Regards

Yes. That is it. It is the power that the Mahan possesses. I can only imagine how it would have felt to sit at the feet of Bagavan Ramana Maharishi. But then again not all of them will get it. Our mind should be receptive and in the same frequency so to say.

Nachhi!

There is a danger here, without samskara balam one may not be able to receive anything.

Depending on Updhi Vishesham receiving teaching in Maunam on Ultimate Truth is very very very remotely possible. Like one BP even here Guru asks the question.

But for ordinary Seekers - GURU - SHASTRAM is the only refuge. So this reality should not be obscured by Maunam-Mahan .. etc...

Regards

MM:-"if by maunam , the teaching can be imparted - then why the teaching exists?, why the Guru-Parampara exists, why shastra exists? My goodness.."

It is the Essence of sri.Dhakshinaamurthy Stothram:"Vrddhaa Sishyaaha--Gurur Yuvaha--Gurosthu Mounam Vyaakyanam,Sishyaasthu "Chin"Na Samsyaaha"

the sishyaas all above 70+ years(4 Chounakaathy munis)=Vrddhaa sishyaaha--the guru is 16 year old sri Dhakshinaamurthy(=Gurur Yuvaha)--Mounam vyaakyaanam =Silent teaching is :-by Mudraa Viggjnaanam ""Chin" mudra.Samsyaaha=the students understood the the meaning of the Mudra.It is what Maharishi sri.Ramana has implicitely told his Sishyaas.

"Chitram Vatathror Moolay Vraddhaa Sishyaaha Gurur Yuvah Gurosthu mounam vyaakyaanam Sishyaasthu Chinna Samsayaahaa."

"vata" vraksham(Banyan tree) is sacred for Hindus(Gaya Vata vraksham)

Last edited by a moderator:
Somayaji Ji

As far Maunam - I 've explained how it is to be understood - as told by the ParamaAcharya - Swami Omkarananda. - If you oppose that please give reasons.
Chinna - here means - Completely Destroyed -like in "Chinna pinnam" - Shishyas doubts are completely destroyed is the meaning for " Shisyasthu Chinna Shamsayaha .

Even if you explain your way, please consider and reply - the teaching is not given to ordinary disciples, the disciples are masters themselves in Shruti they only need the necessary calmness to get the insight.
the mudras meaning should be known to them to some extent, without that it is impossible to understand mudras.

QED - for special disciple , maunam as a mode of communication is remotely possible but it is not suited for all the ordinary seekers.

Regards

There is a seperate Science in Hindu Religion called "Mudra Vigjnaanam"=maim communication or "Body Language",wher Total Silence (Khaasta Mounam)is observed.In all temple Murthy Sthaapana(Idol Consecration) they are used.There are about 108 Mudras.Kerala Nambhudhari Brahmins are experts in this Science.They use almost all 108 Mudras in their routine Pooja.In Tamil Nadu.in Siva and Vishnu Agamam some Mudras are used--like "Avaahani"-Sthaapani, Avakundddditham, Taala, Prana, Apana,Vyana,etc--Some Mudras like Kechhari are very difficult.Achrya sri.SANKARA talks about "Viparyasa Nyasa" Mudra in Soundarya Lahari. It is NOT Tamil "Chinna Pinna".It is "Chin" in sanskrit.--Chin Mudra.It is already 10.00p.m. here.-I am 71+-i have to goto bed.Tomorrow morning i will explain "Chin" Mudra.

samoyaji ji!

my connected question are not answered. chin mudra - I'm aware of. but here the padam is not chin , it is chinna.

even so a disciple without mudra knowldege - cannot recieve the teaching. so ordinary seeker must expose to the oral teaching first.

Regards

dear MM,--my intention is not to correct.I wish to share ,what I know on a subject.

It is Chin+Nasamsaayaaha=(it becomes) Chinnasamsayaaha.In sanskrit this is called "Sandhi"(Bahubreehi-Dwandha samaasam etc)--"Na" will go with the first word."Chin" will become "Chinna".Another example is "Kima Kurvatha Sanjaya"(in sri.Bhagavad Geetha)--it is to be read as Kim+Akurvatha=Kima Kurvatha.--if it is separated as Kima+Kurvatha,tense will change-Kurvatha is present tense-Akurvatha is past tense.Dhrdharaashtra starts the conversation(samvaadham) in past tense only.But while reading one should read as "Kima Kurvatha" only.Even in Rudraadhyaayee-the Paatam is :-Siva+Chara+Vyaaya-+Thava+Vathayaano-- Chandas is Sivaacha+Ravyaayatha+Vadhayaano--Five words are recited as 3 words.--So "Chin" is correct Paatam and Not Chinna. --One should not mistake Tamil words for Sanskrit words.Pad(h)am in Sanskrit means Foot. "Ekapadhi, Dwipadhi, Tripadhi,Chatushpadhi,Na Padhaayasay"(sri.Gayatri Vyaakyaanam by sri.Yagjnavalkya)."Paatam"= "word"--In Sanskrit verses for the sake of Chandas(metre/meter) "A" is read along with the previous word.In sanskrit "A" prefix may denote past tense or negative meaning.-"Nsamsayaaha"=the students understood the the meaning of the Mudra without any trace of doubt.

Yes. In the context of the sri.Dhakshinaamurthy Slokam, the disciples(Chounakaathy munis) are NOT ordinary-they are extra-ordinary "

MM:- the answer for the connected question is :- In Spiritual context, Mounam is superior than Jalpam or Vidhandam."Mounam Sarvaartha Saadhakam"--So a person who wishes to be a Saadhaka,should frequently go in Mounam.One Western Admirer of Maharishi sri.Ramana wrote the greatest contribution of sri.Ramana to Spirutuality is "more things can be Taught by mounam than Jalpam(blah,blah).Brahmam is in Akanda Mounam as per sri.Vyaasa's school and as per Kashmiri School,Brahmam is "Eeshad chalanam"(mildly talkative!!).Maharishi sri.Ramana was "Silent"(Nischalatvam) most of the times.But there were Saints even before sri.Ramana who stressed the importance of Mounam--such as sri.Mouna Guru Swami of Kutraalam(Tirunelveli district).sri.Sivaananda Saraswathi also has stressed the importance of Mounam,being a medical Doctor in his Poorvaashramam.

http://acharya.iitm.ac.in/mirrors/vv.../dakshina.html

The reference cited above, does not explain "Chin(na)"(Sanskrit) explicitly..Here is another reference(Hindunet- author of translation sri.P.R.ramachander)

"Mouna Vyakhya prakatitha, para Brahma thathwam yuvanam,Varshishtha anthevasad rishiganai,Ravrutham brahma nishtai,Acharyendram kara kalihtha chin Mudram ananda roopam,Swathmaramam mudhitha vadanam,Dakshinamurthim eede."

I praise and salute that Dakshinamrthy,
Who faces the south,
Who explains the true nature of the supreme Brahman,
Through his state of silence,
Who is young in looks,
Who is surrounded by disciples who are old Sages,
Whose minds are fixed on Brahman,
Who is the greatest of teachers,
Who shows the Chinmudhra[1] by his hand,
Who is personification of happiness,
Who is in the state of extreme joy within himself,
And who has a smiling face.

Somayaji Ji!

Thanks for the effort , the sloka above is different from the sloka quoted at first.

these are salutaory verses to the main Dakshinamoorthy ashtakam. right?

I've heard the teaching from Paramacharyals- Swamiji Paramarthananda and Omkarananda. they both taught in the way i explained.

Tamil and Sanskrit are intensely related - we can see many words in sanskrit and tamil meant the same.

They also stressed the importance of proper education through oral transmission atleast upto - shravana , mananam - nidhidhyasam can be done in silence.

I personally have oral teachings of Bhagwan Ramana Maharishi - it is in the form of spontaneous hymns - the famous one is on the making of APPALAM.

Here the bhagwan teaches orally the subject matter , in his own style.

Regards

May be, but if "Ultimate Truth" can be taught by Maunam , then what is the need of all the Shastras, Bhasyams etc...

Infact - Shravana, Manana and Nidhidhyasam is the order of teaching.

Shravanam means to hear - In maunam what one hear?
Mananam means logical understanding, again it requires a seeker to ask question and get the answers - all involves converstion.

Though I agree , sometimes if while doing introspection - we get the answers from us. When we are calm, we could think and analyse much more than when we are agitated, in that sense may be we get the needed calm to think clearly near a presence of a "Mahan"

Regards
hi MM sir,
mounam vyakya ....sravana manana . nidhidhyasana are the stages for mumukshu...in brhma sutra ...athatho brhma jijnsa.. the first sutra
explains four main prerequiste for mumukhu... they are nityanitya vasthu vivekatvam...ihamutra bhoga irhah...samadamadhi sadhana sampth..
and mumukushutvanm ca...

regards
tbs

mumukushu meaning seeker - must also seek at least the first 2 parts thru oral teaching. IMHO

its mumuksha meaning having asha (desire) for moksha. Synonyms: mumukshu, mumukshatvam, etc.

mumu is from mama or mamakara (or mine-ness), the other side of ahankara (aham-kara or I-ness).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back