• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Lateral thinking, please!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a man who lives on the top floor of a very tall building.
[FONT=verdana,sans-serif]Everyday he gets the elevator down to the ground floor to leave the[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,sans-serif]building to go to work.Upon returning from work though, he can only [/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,sans-serif]travel half way up in the liftand has to walk the rest of the way unless[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,sans-serif]it's raining! Why?[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,sans-serif]([/FONT][FONT=verdana,sans-serif] Although there are many possible[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,sans-serif]solutions which fit the initial conditions, only the canonical answer is[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,sans-serif]very satisfying. ) [/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,sans-serif]*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,sans-serif]2. A man and his son are in a car accident. The father dies on the[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,sans-serif]scene, but the child is rushed to the hospital. When he arrives the [/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,sans-serif]surgeon says, I can't operate on this boy, he is my son! " How can this[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,sans-serif]be?[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,sans-serif]*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,sans-serif]3. A man is wearing black. Black shoes, socks, trousers, lumper, gloves[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,sans-serif]and balaclava. He is walking down a black street with all the street [/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,sans-serif]lamps off. A black car is coming towards him with its light off but[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,sans-serif]somehow manages to stop in time. How did the driver see the man?[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,sans-serif]*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,sans-serif]4. Why is it better to have round manhole covers than square ones? This[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,sans-serif]is logical rather than lateral, but it is a good puzzle that can be [/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,sans-serif]solved by lateral thinking techniques. It is supposedly used by a very[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,sans-serif]well-known software company as an interview question for prospective[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,sans-serif]employees. [/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,sans-serif]*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,sans-serif]5. A man went to a party and drank some of the punch. He then left[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,sans-serif]early. Everyone else at the party who drank the punch subsequently died [/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,sans-serif]of poisoning. Why did the man not die?[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,sans-serif]6. A man walks into a bar and asks the barman for a glass of water. The[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,sans-serif]barman pulls out a gun and points it at the man. The man says 'Thank[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,sans-serif]you' and walks out.[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana,sans-serif]Nandriyudan[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,sans-serif]Bagya[/FONT]

I think I've read the first one before, so I have a head start.

1. This is a short guy who can't reach the buttons to go up to his floor in the apartment complex's lift. On rainy days, he carries an umbrella, so he manages to press the button.

2. Guessing:The doctor is his mother.

3. Guessing: It is day time.

4. I'm guessing - Its equally easy to get out of the manhole from any direction, once inside.

5. Guessing: The man who didn't die poisoned the punch.

6. The gun stopped the customer's hiccups! (I've read this one before!)

I've seen square manholes in Singapore.
The 2nd , 3rd and the last one are good.

Ok my turn

Guess how the word "Thank you " comes from? In Tamil we say "nanri" acknowledging the good done by others. So in English the word should be "Good" , some use this word for acknowledgement. In that sense how the word "Thank you " connects?

How English got its name English?

Above have nothing to do with Lateral thinking.

[FONT=verdana,sans-serif]4. Why is it better to have round manhole covers than square ones? This[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,sans-serif]is logical rather than lateral, but it is a good puzzle that can be [/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,sans-serif]solved by lateral thinking techniques. It is supposedly used by a very[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,sans-serif]well-known software company as an interview question for prospective[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,sans-serif]employees. [/FONT]

In a square manhole, the manhole cover can go inside the pit via the diagnol. In case of round manhole & hence round manhole cover, this risk is eliminated.

Good thinking, guys!!!

Let me give you the answers.

[FONT=verdana,sans-serif]1. The man is very, very short and can only reach halfway up the[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,sans-serif]elevator buttons. However,if it is raining then he will have his[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,sans-serif]umbrella with him and can press the higher buttons with it. [/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,sans-serif]2. The surgeon was his mother.[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,sans-serif]3. It was day time.[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,sans-serif]4. A square manhole cover can be turned and dropped down the diagonal of[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,sans-serif]the manhole. A round manhole cannot be dropped down the manhole. So for [/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,sans-serif]safety and practicality, all manhole covers should be round.[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,sans-serif]*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,sans-serif]5. The poison in the punch came from the ice cubes. When the man Drank[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,sans-serif]the punch, the ice was fully frozen. Gradually it melted, poisoning the[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,sans-serif]punch.[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,sans-serif]^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,sans-serif]6.. The man had hiccups. The barman recognized this from his speech and[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,sans-serif]drew the gun in order to give him a shock[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana,sans-serif]Nandriyudan[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,sans-serif]Bagya[/FONT]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back