• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Oats Upma

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oats-Upma-LargeCopy.jpg

Ingredients

• 20 gm oats
  • 1/4 onion, chopped
  • 1/4 tomato, chopped
  • 15 gm sprouted moong
  • 1 small green chilli
  • A pinch of ginger garlic, chopped
  • Salt to taste
  • Coriander for garnish
  • 1 tsp oil

Method

• Take oil in pan, add onion, ginger garlic, green chilli and saute for 5 mins.
  • Add tomato and moong sprouts to the pan.
  • Add oats, salt and required amount of water and cook till upma is ready
  • Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.

Source: iHealthU

Does the oats have to be cooked with water or dry roasted etc? I do a couscous upma where cous cous is soaked in hot water.

it says it is to be cooked

Add oats, salt and required amount of water and cook till upma is ready.

Oats-Upma-LargeCopy.jpg

Ingredients

• 20 gm oats
  • 1/4 onion, chopped
  • 1/4 tomato, chopped
  • 15 gm sprouted moong
  • 1 small green chilli
  • A pinch of ginger garlic, chopped
  • Salt to taste
  • Coriander for garnish
  • 1 tsp oil

Method

• Take oil in pan, add onion, ginger garlic, green chilli and saute for 5 mins.
  • Add tomato and moong sprouts to the pan.
  • Add oats, salt and required amount of water and cook till upma is ready
  • Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.

Source: iHealthU

Shri PJ, this Oats Upma pic is so tempting!!

What I doubt is, since oats becomes sticky/squashy very easily when cooked in water, can we really have upma in "udri" form? Or will it be squashy to call it as "Kichadi"?

Just want to know if this recipe has been tried in your home.

My mother makes "Oats Kali". I don't know how she prepares, But, the basic thing is it gets prepared as jelly, cooked in water, added with Curd and green chilly and tampered with mustered & jeera. At last, added with few drops of lemon juice.. I think, if curd is sufficiently sour, there is no need to add few drops of lemon juice.

it says it is to be cooked

Add oats, salt and required amount of water and cook till upma is ready.
Dear P J Sir,

Oats-lEyum upmAvA? :becky:

A good upmA depends on how much water is used for the preparation!

The main point is missing in the recipe! You just copy paste and let us

try it out for ourselves! Nice idea indeed!! :D

There are many different types of oats available in the market, it depends upon the quality of oats; just like different types of rice needs different measurement of water, oats also needs different measurement for water for different types to get it cooked.
some ready made Oats foods like oats pepper etc is a different variety needs only 3 minute in micro oven and the required measurement of water is given on the pocket itself; The quality of water is also important for it to get cooked properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back