• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

It is not Arynan v/s Dravidam but Aryan v/s Tamilian

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkrishna100

There are is so called war between Aryan v/s Dravidian but here in this Video link Tamil Nationalist leader Maniarasan talks about how the word Dravidan is a misnomer and the word Dravida means Brahmins belonging to the Tamil land and the fight is between Aryan v/s Tamilians and not Aryan v/s Dravidan .He says historically Tamilans have fought against Aryans ( i.e Vedic religion ) .
In this Video Tamilarasan attacks more the Dravidian leaders for confusing with using the name "Dravidian" .
Tamilnadu Tamilarukke DVD Release Maniarasan speaks.mp4 - YouTube

There are is so called war between Aryan v/s Dravidian but here in this Video link Tamil Nationalist leader Maniarasan talks about how the word Dravidan is a misnomer and the word Dravida means Brahmins belonging to the Tamil land and the fight is between Aryan v/s Tamilians and not Aryan v/s Dravidan .He says historically Tamilans have fought against Aryans ( i.e Vedic religion ) .
In this Video Tamilarasan attacks more the Dravidian leaders for confusing with using the name "Dravidian" .

Dear Sir,

Shri Maniarasan seems to be right when he says that Robert Caldwell did a good thing by branding the south indian languages together as "Dravidian" but his well-intentioned step probably misfired. Though the animosity towards Hindi/sanskrit is comparatively, very low among Telugu, Kannada and Malayalam speakers, I think this is because these three languages have a very high sanskrit content as compared to Tamil.

Hence, the argument that sanskrit on the one end and tamil on the opposite side, determined the fate of south Indian languages, seems convincing. We should also not forget that there are tribal dialects which show close affinity to the dravidian - and not sanskrit or pali - even in as north as Bihar, Jharkhand and the swat valley, and then it looks perhaps that the sanskrit speaking vedists "drove away" some others and those who so ran away (dramiDa) were known as dramiDas to the vedists. dramiDa changed to drAviDa in course of time.

But all this puts our poor tabra chauvinists in a very pitiable position, I feel. They, as a community, possibly made a "historical blinder" (á la CPM) by keeping aloof from the mainstream of the Tamil society with a feeling of imagined superiority over all the rest of the hindus of TN in the last century, and now, it looks very probable that they will be hounded out of the TN if this Tami Desiyam comes to power.

What is the best course of action to be followed by tabras at this stage?

Dear Sir,

Shri Maniarasan seems to be right when he says that Robert Caldwell did a good thing by branding the south indian languages together as "Dravidian" but his well-intentioned step probably misfired. Though the animosity towards Hindi/sanskrit is comparatively, very low among Telugu, Kannada and Malayalam speakers, I think this is because these three languages have a very high sanskrit content as compared to Tamil.

Hence, the argument that sanskrit on the one end and tamil on the opposite side, determined the fate of south Indian languages, seems convincing. We should also not forget that there are tribal dialects which show close affinity to the dravidian - and not sanskrit or pali - even in as north as Bihar, Jharkhand and the swat valley, and then it looks perhaps that the sanskrit speaking vedists "drove away" some others and those who so ran away (dramiDa) were known as dramiDas to the vedists. dramiDa changed to drAviDa in course of time.

But all this puts our poor tabra chauvinists in a very pitiable position, I feel. They, as a community, possibly made a "historical blinder" (á la CPM) by keeping aloof from the mainstream of the Tamil society with a feeling of imagined superiority over all the rest of the hindus of TN in the last century, and now, it looks very probable that they will be hounded out of the TN if this Tami Desiyam comes to power.

What is the best course of action to be followed by tabras at this stage?
To the point in bold, my suggestion would be -- Rediscover their anthanar roots.

For Iyengars and Gurukkals, this is not a problem. Simply due to their existing culture as Agamic priests finding links and connections will not be difficult. However, it will be better if research is done by academic people. Without interference from hindutva aryanist and DK dravidianist type of people. For Iyers who claim to be smartas, it can get a bit complex. Apparently kalpasutra priests have links to Atharva. But then it all depends on what they themselves would acknowledge.

Popular culture has vilified certain cultures (such as projecting people of non-vedic culture in a negative light in puranic stories). My sincere suggestion for all teachers of modern day hinduism (such as Art of Living, Chinmaya Mission, etc) is to get hindus to analyze. No one today can lay claim of descent from devas and asuras. We are all outcomes of layers and layers of culture aglomerations as well as substitutions and deletions. At best, we can learn from various events described in our scriptures.

Before all this, my sincere suggestion would be to

1) Put the varna vyavastha on the back burner and stop providing intellectual justification for it (seriously it is not going to help anyone in the long run. Those who propound and justify varna as well as caste system are digging their own grave since it cannot create a wholistic unity amongst all hindus of all cultures across the subcontinent. Without varna vyavastha, a lot can be achieved; chief amongst which (imo) is unity with jainism, buddhism, various tribal and adivasi faith systems which share common origins as the Agamas from non-vedic tantrika systems).

2) Refrain from making fantastic claims associated with any religion. For example, Upanishads do not have all answers to life and death. Neither do Agamas. If they did, no one would be searching today. At best all these scriptures help us have a better perspective of life.

Regards

So Dravida means Brahmin? But Tamils are not Dravidas? Or are they? Sorry this is not clear to me at all. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back