• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Are these customs Aryan or Dravidian?

Status
Not open for further replies.
gandhi+fasting.jpg

Foreign scholars have done immeasurable damage to Indian History by introducing Aryan Dravidian race theory. Those who study 2000 year old Tamil Sangam poetry and Sanskrit literature will find out that there was lot of similarities than dissimilarities in south and north of India. Because of the Aryan- Dravidian theory the entire Indian history is distorted. The truth is that the ‘’foreign scholars’’ have not proposed such racial theory in any other part of the world. Even in other parts of the world, where the foreigners bluffed, everything was rewritten. But in India the old history is still followed!

If we have any proof for Aryan-Dravidian races in our ancient Vedic literature or Tamil literature we can at least debate it. When our literature clearly says that all are the children of the same parents, whether it is Asura or Deva or Naga or Garuda, foreigners categorised some as Arya and some as Dravidian --only in India!! Nowhere in the world this type of distortion was allowed or sustained for long. Hundreds of examples in Indian literature will demolish the Aryan Dravidian race theory. Scholars who bluffed will also be exposed, once you study it deeper.

If one believes in Indian scriptures which clearly say that we went out and spread our culture and civilized the world, then the linguistic theory of William Jones etc will fall apart. We have enough proof for this in the names of Central Asian and South East Asian geographical names.
I will give you a few more examples to show that from the southernmost tip of India to the northernmost Himalayas, same customs were followed:

Earlier I wrote in one of my articles that Kalinga King Karavelan and Tamil kings followed the same custom to punish their enemies. Both of them ploughed the land of the enemies with donkeys. This is in Tamil Purananuru and Karavelan’s famous Hathikumba inscription.
In my series of articles on Kalidasa and Tamil literature, I have shown that Tamil poets verbatim translated whatever Kalidasa said about the Ganges and Himalayas. They all believed in the sanctity of the Ganges and Himalayas.

I have shown that the same Rajasuya, Somayaga and Aswamedha were done by Tamil kings like their northern counter parts. It is all from 2000 year old Sangam Tamil Literature.

Fast unto Death
Mahatma Gandhi used fasting as a weapon against the British Rule. He made it a popular form of protest by going in to fast unto death several times. But it was an ancient custom he revived for ousting the British. We see this Fasting to death in Purananuru, ancient anthology of Sangam literature and Ramayana. Hundreds of Jain saints died through fasting. Hindu and Jain saints used this method when they thought their life mission was fulfilled.

Purananuru has got scores of poems about this custom. When the greatest of the Chola kings, Karikalan fought with Chera King Nedunseralathan, Chera king was wounded on his back. No Tamil king tolerated a wound on his back. Those who were injured on the back were called cowards. So Chera king decided to die through fasting. Several poets sang in praise of both the kings ( see Puram verses 65 and 66).

In another episode we read about a family feud where the sons of Chola king Kopperuncholan revolted against their dad. Immediately a poet advised him to go into fasting. When he decided to die through fasting, several famous poets joined him and died with him. One of them, Pisiranthaiyar, has never met him but considered him as his best friend (see Puram 214 to 223).

Apart from Jain’s Sallekhana we come across several examples in Sanskrit scriptures. Kishkinda Kanda of Valmiki Ramayana has one such episode. Angatha, son of Vali, went in search of Sita, but in vain. He decided to sit tight on Dharba grass and die. Only minor difference was he faced east but not north. But the Dharba grass was used by both Tamils and their northern counterparts. The websites which mislead the general public by denoting several customs as Indo Aryan or Indo European are silent on this topic!!

Kumarila Bhattar was a great scholar. He died by fasting sitting in ‘’Five Fires’’. He heaped paddy husk over his body and lighted it on all four sides and sat under the scorching sun. This is known as five fires. One must have a great control over one’s body and mind to do this!

halwas.jpg

Indians in different parts of India eat different types of sweets called halwa. Wheat halwa, pumkin halwa, pounded rice/pava halwa and milk/dhuth halwa. Thank god, no foreigner has come forward with a Ph.D thesis that one is Aryan halwa, another Dravidian halwa, other one was Munda halwa!! Foreign scholars know how to play their cards. They will use only sensitive issues.

There are different types of dance and music forms in India. Bharata natyam, Kuchipudi, Kathakali, Kajal, Manipuri, Yakshaganam and Mohini Attam are different types of dance forms practised in different parts of the country. Even South India has five different types of dances. Thank god no foreign scholar has found anything Aryan or Dravidian or Munda in these dances till today! If they wanted to divide us, they will use even music and dance to support their Aryan Dravidian race theory!

Bluffing is about cattle raids

Cattle raids was a custom followed from north to south of India. We read about it in Maha Bharata , Bhagavatha and Tamil Sangam literature. Some encyclopaedias call it ‘’Indo European’’!!!
Virta Parva of Maha Bharata described the cattle raid by Trigarta army and the following intervention by Pandavas. This same custom to wage a war was followed by Pandavas and Pandyas! Puram, an anthology of 400 ancient Tamil verses, describe this cattle raiding in verses 257 to 269 . Pathitrupathu is another anthology that gives more details about the same.

We have the oldest reference in Rig Veda about Panis doing this. Just because Homer and an Irish book refer to it they dub it as Indo- European! They did not bother to explain how come it was there in ancient Tamil literature in several poems.

Indo European Bluffing

Even philologists and linguists mislead the public by saying Tamil word Neer (water) is found in Rig Veda. I have proved them wrong by showing the Greek word Nereids for water nymphs exist in Greek in my article on ‘Tamil –Greek similarities’. Narayana for water born God is already in the Vedas. If the same word is in Greek and Sanskrit they should have called it Indo European according to their own rules! Not borrowed from Tamil.

In short, cattle raid is a Hindu custom that spread to other parts of the world. If it is an isolated episode then we can call it a rare coincidence. Like my Nereids reference above, there are innumerable similarities— so not a coincidence.

gandhi+fasting.jpg

Foreign scholars have done immeasurable damage to Indian History by introducing Aryan Dravidian race theory. Those who study 2000 year old Tamil Sangam poetry and Sanskrit literature will find out that there was lot of similarities than dissimilarities in south and north of India. Because of the Aryan- Dravidian theory the entire Indian history is distorted. The truth is that the ‘’foreign scholars’’ have not proposed such racial theory in any other part of the world. Even in other parts of the world, where the foreigners bluffed, everything was rewritten. But in India the old history is still followed!

If we have any proof for Aryan-Dravidian races in our ancient Vedic literature or Tamil literature we can at least debate it. When our literature clearly says that all are the children of the same parents, whether it is Asura or Deva or Naga or Garuda, foreigners categorised some as Arya and some as Dravidian --only in India!! Nowhere in the world this type of distortion was allowed or sustained for long. Hundreds of examples in Indian literature will demolish the Aryan Dravidian race theory. Scholars who bluffed will also be exposed, once you study it deeper.

If one believes in Indian scriptures which clearly say that we went out and spread our culture and civilized the world, then the linguistic theory of William Jones etc will fall apart. We have enough proof for this in the names of Central Asian and South East Asian geographical names.
I will give you a few more examples to show that from the southernmost tip of India to the northernmost Himalayas, same customs were followed:

Earlier I wrote in one of my articles that Kalinga King Karavelan and Tamil kings followed the same custom to punish their enemies. Both of them ploughed the land of the enemies with donkeys. This is in Tamil Purananuru and Karavelan’s famous Hathikumba inscription.
In my series of articles on Kalidasa and Tamil literature, I have shown that Tamil poets verbatim translated whatever Kalidasa said about the Ganges and Himalayas. They all believed in the sanctity of the Ganges and Himalayas.

I have shown that the same Rajasuya, Somayaga and Aswamedha were done by Tamil kings like their northern counter parts. It is all from 2000 year old Sangam Tamil Literature.

Fast unto Death
Mahatma Gandhi used fasting as a weapon against the British Rule. He made it a popular form of protest by going in to fast unto death several times. But it was an ancient custom he revived for ousting the British. We see this Fasting to death in Purananuru, ancient anthology of Sangam literature and Ramayana. Hundreds of Jain saints died through fasting. Hindu and Jain saints used this method when they thought their life mission was fulfilled.

Purananuru has got scores of poems about this custom. When the greatest of the Chola kings, Karikalan fought with Chera King Nedunseralathan, Chera king was wounded on his back. No Tamil king tolerated a wound on his back. Those who were injured on the back were called cowards. So Chera king decided to die through fasting. Several poets sang in praise of both the kings ( see Puram verses 65 and 66).

In another episode we read about a family feud where the sons of Chola king Kopperuncholan revolted against their dad. Immediately a poet advised him to go into fasting. When he decided to die through fasting, several famous poets joined him and died with him. One of them, Pisiranthaiyar, has never met him but considered him as his best friend (see Puram 214 to 223).

Apart from Jain’s Sallekhana we come across several examples in Sanskrit scriptures. Kishkinda Kanda of Valmiki Ramayana has one such episode. Angatha, son of Vali, went in search of Sita, but in vain. He decided to sit tight on Dharba grass and die. Only minor difference was he faced east but not north. But the Dharba grass was used by both Tamils and their northern counterparts. The websites which mislead the general public by denoting several customs as Indo Aryan or Indo European are silent on this topic!!

Kumarila Bhattar was a great scholar. He died by fasting sitting in ‘’Five Fires’’. He heaped paddy husk over his body and lighted it on all four sides and sat under the scorching sun. This is known as five fires. One must have a great control over one’s body and mind to do this!

halwas.jpg

Indians in different parts of India eat different types of sweets called halwa. Wheat halwa, pumkin halwa, pounded rice/pava halwa and milk/dhuth halwa. Thank god, no foreigner has come forward with a Ph.D thesis that one is Aryan halwa, another Dravidian halwa, other one was Munda halwa!! Foreign scholars know how to play their cards. They will use only sensitive issues.

There are different types of dance and music forms in India. Bharata natyam, Kuchipudi, Kathakali, Kajal, Manipuri, Yakshaganam and Mohini Attam are different types of dance forms practised in different parts of the country. Even South India has five different types of dances. Thank god no foreign scholar has found anything Aryan or Dravidian or Munda in these dances till today! If they wanted to divide us, they will use even music and dance to support their Aryan Dravidian race theory!

Bluffing is about cattle raids

Cattle raids was a custom followed from north to south of India. We read about it in Maha Bharata , Bhagavatha and Tamil Sangam literature. Some encyclopaedias call it ‘’Indo European’’!!!
Virta Parva of Maha Bharata described the cattle raid by Trigarta army and the following intervention by Pandavas. This same custom to wage a war was followed by Pandavas and Pandyas! Puram, an anthology of 400 ancient Tamil verses, describe this cattle raiding in verses 257 to 269 . Pathitrupathu is another anthology that gives more details about the same.

We have the oldest reference in Rig Veda about Panis doing this. Just because Homer and an Irish book refer to it they dub it as Indo- European! They did not bother to explain how come it was there in ancient Tamil literature in several poems.

Indo European Bluffing

Even philologists and linguists mislead the public by saying Tamil word Neer (water) is found in Rig Veda. I have proved them wrong by showing the Greek word Nereids for water nymphs exist in Greek in my article on ‘Tamil –Greek similarities’. Narayana for water born God is already in the Vedas. If the same word is in Greek and Sanskrit they should have called it Indo European according to their own rules! Not borrowed from Tamil.

In short, cattle raid is a Hindu custom that spread to other parts of the world. If it is an isolated episode then we can call it a rare coincidence. Like my Nereids reference above, there are innumerable similarities— so not a coincidence.

Try selling this to the Kazhagam people successfully! And, between Tamil and Sanskrit, which came from which?

Dear Alapana

There is a society for Rewriting History. I have organised one meeting in Madurai thirty yyears ago. After leaving India ,I lost touch with them. I think you can find it by googling Rewriting Indian History society or organisation. Each one can collect authentic local history and document it. There is big gap Indian History. I have explained it in my post THE BIGGEST BRAINWASH IN THE WORLD. Before Ajathasathru, contemporary of Buddha, no one is considered Historical!! But we have all the list in Puranas. Someone has to find evidence for at least one of them in inscriptions or foreign sources and pick it from there. It is a life time mission.

Dear Alapana

There is a society for Rewriting History. I have organised one meeting in Madurai thirty yyears ago. After leaving India ,I lost touch with them. I think you can find it by googling Rewriting Indian History society or organisation. Each one can collect authentic local history and document it. There is big gap Indian History. I have explained it in my post THE BIGGEST BRAINWASH IN THE WORLD. Before Ajathasathru, contemporary of Buddha, no one is considered Historical!! But we have all the list in Puranas. Someone has to find evidence for at least one of them in inscriptions or foreign sources and pick it from there. It is a life time mission.

What about my doubt on Tamil & Sanskrit? Why are you silent on it?

"Earlier I wrote in one of my articles that Kalinga King Karavelan and Tamil kings followed the same custom to punish their enemies. Both of them ploughed the land of the enemies with donkeys. This is in Tamil Purananuru and Karavelan’s famous Hathikumba inscription.
In my series of articles on Kalidasa and Tamil literature, I have shown that Tamil poets verbatim translated whatever Kalidasa said about the Ganges and Himalayas. They all believed in the sanctity of the Ganges and Himalayas."

Here the land was ploughed with donkeys is none other than Arka plant (Erukkam Chedi) and other plant they planted was Vilva tree. This was told by my father when I asked this question to him when he was alive. The Arka plant will absorb the vibrations from Universe and reduce heat. and vilva will create calm atmosphere., this I learn later days.

That is why we put Arka mala to Lord Ganesha, ganesha is the South Pole. Without South Pole there is no vibrations. The Arka plant can be tried for research with atomic rays.

Dear Sangom

Though Tamil and Sanskrit are two ancient languages of India, there is a big Time gap between the two.
Tamil is the youngest among ancient languages. Sanskrit is at least 1500 years older than Tamil.

Tamil did not evolve from Sanskrit. But both languages may have had same parent. This requires lot of research to prove-- probably a life time mission.

I believe Indus language had no relationship to Tamil.
I have touched some points about the Tamil Sanskrit relationship in my articles on the Date of Tolkappiam in Tamil and English.

In short Tamil and Sanskrit are two independent languages.Sanskrit is the closest language to Tamil.
At present Tamil cannot exist without Sanskrit.No one can speak even for five minutes in any Indian language without a Sanskrit word.

....Tamil did not evolve from Sanskrit. But both languages may have had same parent.

[....]

In short Tamil and Sanskrit are two independent languages.Sanskrit is the closest language to Tamil.
Dear london swaminathan, if the two languages are independent then the claim that the two languages are closest to each other does not make any sense.

All the scholarly research show that Sanksrit and Tamil are two independent languages that borrowed from each other. According to George Hart, a Tamil scholar and one who holds a Ph.D. in Sanskrit, says Tamil borrowed a lot of words from Sanskrit, but Sanskrit owes the very syntax to Tamil. He further argues that much of kalidasa's metaphors and imagery were borrowed from Tamil poetry.

At present Tamil cannot exist without Sanskrit.No one can speak even for five minutes in any Indian language without a Sanskrit word.
The fact is the exact reverse, Sanskrit cannot exist but for the Tamil speaking Brahmins keeping it alive. Sanskrit is a dead language, it has always been dead, and if what I have read is valid, it was never alive. Only the Brahmins kept it alive. It seems works of literature in any language of common people, like Tamil, Telugu, etc., will be given recognition only if they are translated into Sanskrit and the translation is asserted as the original. Brahmins were able to enforce such draconian rules because of their hold over the ruling class.

We may argue about the finer points of these contentious issues with no end in sight, but, what I would like to present for the readers of this forum is, do your own research, look far and wide and synthesize the research. Don't just believe what people write here.

Cheers!

Dear Nara

I want to add only one comment.

''Dr Marr has shown that Kalidasa borrowed imagery from Tamil''---is wrong.
I have written seven articles on Kalidasa and Sangam Literature giving the date of Kalidasa as first century BC. Today I am adding one more article on the same theme.

Kalidasa is put between 2nd century BC and Fifth century AD by various scholars. No other poet in the world has such a long gap in the dates. Dr Marr assumed kalidasa lived in the times of Kumara Gupta and interpreted accordingly.I have read all the works of Kalidasa and entire Tamil literature at least four times.

Foreigners always take the date which suits them. Even Dr G U POPE who came to spread Christianity to Tamils, made a comment about Kapilar (the brahmin who wrote the highest number of poems) and Kurinjipattu saying this is a copy of Kalidasa. I have already quoted him verbatim in my previous posts.

But I donr depend upon GU POpe. I depend upon 200 plus similes the Tamils borrowed from Kalidasa about Himalayas, Ganges, Nagaratna, Gem stones etc.

If you are interested in this topic, please read all the seven articles on this topic posted already at tamilbrahmins.com

I will add the previous topics in my post today.

Ah the typical humbug (again) about 'foreign' scholars (whatever that means).

Previously, world over, people thot skin color was race or language was race. For a simple example, just google for differences between the irish (who claim to be of the celtic race) and the anglo-saxon race (which the english supposedly belong to).

But today, we know language, skin color, culture, do not indicate a race. There is no such thing as a race, there are only clines..Why then do certain individuals still hold on to the beleif that language indicates a race, caste is race, varna (color) is race, culture indicates a race? Is it not due to traditional (which in the case of indians is 'religion-based') beleifs and literature?

If we have any proof for Aryan-Dravidian races in our ancient Vedic literature or Tamil literature we can at least debate it.
Forget the term 'race'. Just tell me why were Devas and Asuras fighting in the Vedas? Foreigners did not write vedas and humbug puranas (they probably wrote the 'racist' varna (smriti) literature, ie., schematic organization of people based on skin color).

When our literature clearly says that all are the children of the same parents, whether it is Asura or Deva or Naga or Garuda, foreigners categorised some as Arya and some as Dravidian --only in India!!
Puranas, such as Vishnu Purana, which did a unification job are recent literature (puranas were written after vedas).

Nowhere in the world this type of distortion was allowed or sustained for long. Hundreds of examples in Indian literature will demolish the Aryan Dravidian race theory. Scholars who bluffed will also be exposed, once you study it deeper.
:) appears to me bluffmasters of smriti literature, especially those of hindutva lobby, will stand exposed.

Some tribes in africa also fast, they are not jains. It is ridiculous to link fasting, cattle-raids, and such 'customs' with the terms 'aryan' and 'dravidian'. Except you, I do not find any other 'scholar' who conflates such 'customs' with the term 'aryan' or 'dravidian' (even if it be to disprove the same).

Seems to me, you want to prove there are no individual customs that can be termed seperately aryan or seperately dravidian. Unfortunately, your research (as often it is) is shoddy. Instead of picking on common tribal stuff such as fasting, cattle-raids, ploughing land with donkeys, eating halwa :D and such like, I suggest you read your own 'shastras' properly (a simple ritual difference being upanayanam).

As for 'tamil' kings conducting homams (havans), please remind yourself that historically Pallavas and Pandyas claimed brahmin descent. Plus, according to puranic (humbug) literature the Pandya, Chola, Karnata, Kerala were sons of Andhra Vishwamitras. Maybe these 2 posts will help:
(1) http://www.tamilbrahmins.com/general-discussions/7717-racism-u-s-15.html#post111195
(2) http://www.tamilbrahmins.com/genera...reservation-debate-resuming-13.html#post96201

Last edited:
I think, in a general sense, what LS tries to tell us is that the history as we read in text books and is popular in India is a twisted version. And it is true that the Aryan-Dravidan theory brought more hate than understanding.

We can probably only speculate (and probably wildly at that) about what would have happened - why people fought? were they all tribal wars? or whether any "unification job" did happen at all?

To do one's research (but not everyone will have the time or inclination) is the best way to come to terms with what happened in the past, and even then we may not be sure.

I think, in a general sense, what LS tries to tell us is that the history as we read in text books and is popular in India is a twisted version. And it is true that the Aryan-Dravidan theory brought more hate than understanding.

We can probably only speculate (and probably wildly at that) about what would have happened - why people fought? were they all tribal wars? or whether any "unification job" did happen at all?

To do one's research (but not everyone will have the time or inclination) is the best way to come to terms with what happened in the past, and even then we may not be sure.
I do not find any difference between London Swaminathan, Dharampal and the hindutva lobby. Like Dharampal, our own Mr.London Swaminathan lives in the land of the English, yet brushes all "foreign scholars" with the same brush, not to mention the typical hindutva hobby of twisting things.

What the hindutva lobby accuses other of, it is guilty of the same. The hindutva lobby too wants to rewrite history. Just a year back we had discussed one of their (ridiculous) protests on the many ramayanas (an essay by ramanujan). Another protest (which LK Advani himself supposedly opposed) is whether Rama ate meat (hindutva lobby likes to project Rama as a vegetarian). In a land ridden with poverty, hunger, corruption, it is utterly crazy some people make such 'religious' issues political.

No historian worth his salt wud indulge in mere speculation. Unless his/her theories are supported by epigraphies, proof from linguistics, archeology, or from the very texts that mention the given point (such as vedas, puranas, dharmashastras, etc). It is best politicians stay out of history, whether is be aryan-dravidian, or anything else. The job of a politician is administration (proper adminstration), which unfortunately is a pipedream in india.

Dear auh and palindrome

Thanks for reading and posting comments.

There is a big gap in Indian history; bigger the gap in Tamil areas.
We have to find out the names of kings who ruled us before Mauryan and Nadas.
Even Wikipedia is ready to give the names without dates;but our history books are silent.
We know that our civilization started with the Indus Valley, if you dont believe that Vedas did not exist before.Who were the kings that ruled India from Indus times?

Leave the politics of history to one side, Marxist or Hindutva history, find out what happened before the Mauryas and Nandas. If we do it patiently, we will find more. The dating of horse and iron which was done 200 years ago, is changing now. Since Indians find more time for something else, lot of new evidence is ignored. Do you at least agree that there were kings in India before the Buddha (and his contemporary Ajathasathru)?

Dear auh and palindrome

Even Wikipedia is ready to give the names without dates;but our history books are silent.
Wiki is an open site. Anyone can write anything there. Unless a reference is provided, unless you read the sources cited, please do not believe wiki.

We know that our civilization started with the Indus Valley, if you dont believe that Vedas did not exist before.Who were the kings that ruled India from Indus times?
Why do you think there were kings? Why do you think someone had to "rule"? Please do read about tribes (as many as possible, of various linguistic groups). It will take you on a fascinating journey how customs originated, how 'culture' originated and so on. Will definitely give you a glimpse of the ancient past.

Leave the politics of history to one side, Marxist or Hindutva history, find out what happened before the Mauryas and Nandas. If we do it patiently, we will find more. The dating of horse and iron which was done 200 years ago, is changing now. Since Indians find more time for something else, lot of new evidence is ignored. Do you at least agree that there were kings in India before the Buddha (and his contemporary Ajathasathru)?
Dating always changes based on new evidence.

Maybe you are confused between kingdoms (of heredity rule) and other forms of governance. It is worthwhile reading about tribal confederacies in the regions of middle-east, europe and indian subcontinent. Both, europe and indian subcontinent have much in common with the middle-east.

Perhaps you are aware in the Atharva, the king was elected. South india (panchadravida, including gujrat) has several things in common with atharva texts.

Dear auh and palindrome

Palindromeji's reply is to the point.
What is this fascination with creating history of India.
India as a concept did not exist before the british invented it. India as an independent country was born on August 15, 1947.
Before the British came there were principalities and nation states, in the land we call modern India. These states were in a state of war among each other. Magadh kingdom ruled most of modern day India, they fought wars with other states (Kalinga for example). So there were kings in every part of the world, including what we call modern India.
Mr. LS if there was a king in your house, and Asoka wanted it, he would have taken it. So please stop dreaming of grandiose India of the Ancient.

LSji,

We must have Indian version of our history compiled by dharma friendly historians; a whole world of unpublished manuscripts, unexplored archaeology when properly studied will reveal a lot about the "The Wonder That was Bharat". That day is not far off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back