• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Becoming a Sadhu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Namaskar all,

How does one go about becoming a sadhu? What are the prequisites for doing so? Is it possible to be a sadhu in America?

I have been a Hindu for over a year and I realize it may be too early to think about something like this, but I am attracted to the sadhu lifestyle, at least from what I've seen on the Internet, one site in particular. I would post a link but I am not sure of the rules on posting links.

If I did become a sadhu, it would be later on in life. I'm 23 now and would probably be around 40+ when/if the time comes.

I am interested in becoming a sadhu to help me renounce material things and speed up the process to God-realisation. I realize renouncing material things can be done as a non-sadhu, but I feel being a sadhu and having company of other sadhus would help me out a lot more than where I'm at now.

Any advice from anyone is very much appreciated. I'm trying to get all the information I can to make an informed decision if I decide to do this someday.

I'm not interested in this to get away from responsibility or to sit around and smoke hash all day. It's an honest interest. Thanks.

Regards,

Ganapathi Narayana

Are there any Saadhu among us to advise this gentleman?

In my understanding Saadhu means one who is not egoistic or one who is not aggressive or one who would not resist etc. No Saadhu would therefore declare he is a Saadhu. It is upto one to satisfy himself that the other person is a Saadhu and in order to do so one has to have some personal interaction with the other. Or you have to have confidence in a person who would recommend some other as Saadhu.

my 2 cents.

Namaste Shri Chintana,

Thanks for contacting me. Since I don't have 10 posts, the forum won't let me send any private messages. My e-mail address is [email protected]. I am interested in the Sannyasa Darshan book you mentioned. Thanks.

Ganapathi Narayana

Dear Sri il_guy Ji,
Hinduism teaches that one's objective in the human life is to prevent any future rebirths.

To achieve this, one can follow different paths (Our Scriptures prescribe 4 to suit different temperements of folks - Jnana Yoga (enlightenment through Knowledge), Bhakthi Yoga (enlightenment through devotion), Raja Yoga (enlightenment through meditation) and Karma Yoga (enlightment through fulfilling one's 'dharma' in the material world as an offering to Ishwara).

There are four dharmas in a person's life (Kama, Artha, Dharma and Moksha). And there are four stations of life in a person's life (Brahmacharya, Grihastha, Vanaprastha and Sanyasin). The relationship between the four dharmas and the four stages in one's life are quite complex. For example, a Brhamacharya's dharma is to study his craft. A grihastha's dharma is to support his family and the society through his earnings (Artha) and beget children (Kama). So, there is a time and place to proceed along one's life.

Not everyone is gifted to attain Moksha in this life. Through repeated births, we are required to increase the maturity of our spiritual state. One could say that Prahalada's age was more than his father's in spiritual terms (hoping here that you know the story).

So, the fact that you are interested in Hinduism tells me that your soul wants what is beyond the 'heaven', without negating the material side of it.

Hope this makes sense.

Pranams,
KRS

Namaskar all,

How does one go about becoming a sadhu? What are the prequisites for doing so? Is it possible to be a sadhu in America?

I have been a Hindu for over a year and I realize it may be too early to think about something like this, but I am attracted to the sadhu lifestyle, at least from what I've seen on the Internet, one site in particular. I would post a link but I am not sure of the rules on posting links.

If I did become a sadhu, it would be later on in life. I'm 23 now and would probably be around 40+ when/if the time comes.

I am interested in becoming a sadhu to help me renounce material things and speed up the process to God-realisation. I realize renouncing material things can be done as a non-sadhu, but I feel being a sadhu and having company of other sadhus would help me out a lot more than where I'm at now.

Any advice from anyone is very much appreciated. I'm trying to get all the information I can to make an informed decision if I decide to do this someday.

I'm not interested in this to get away from responsibility or to sit around and smoke hash all day. It's an honest interest. Thanks.

Regards,

Ganapathi Narayana

Dear Mr. il_guy,

It is gratifying to note your yearning to become a Sadhu.

Physical sanyasa is not necessary. Mental sanyasa is. I shall quote a
small passage from the book 'Guru and Disciple' by Swami Abhishiktananda.

QUOTE : " Dhyana alone matters', replied Sri Gnanananda. ' Everything else,
whatever it may be - tapas, solitude, vigils, fasts,non-possession - is
secondary, and has no direct connection with "Realization". The only thing
that counts is to free yourself from everything that prevents you from
devoting yourself exclusively and completely to this silent interior
meditation. Even sanyasa itself is not essential. This ochre robe that we
wear is much less for ourselves than for other people. The kavi colour
acts as a direct witness and reminder to everyone that he who has taken
it is one set apart, and that therefore they should not divert his attention
with worldly talk, but rather assist him in every way in his life of
solitude and close converse with God... " UNQUOTE.

Bhagawan Ramana also expressed a similar opinion. He told a devotee :
" why do you bind yourself by calling yourself a sanyasi ? ." A sanyasi
who thinks that he is a sanyasi and that he has renounced everything is
not a real sanyasi; but a grahastha ( a man with a family ) who carries
out his duties without the sense of doership and without expecting anything
whatsoever is a true sanyasi.

Sir, you can remain where you are and lead an ascetic life, study the
scriptures and meditate on the SELF. Be still and know I am God !. I am
giving a link which you can go through :

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/8107/sats4.html

If you need anything further, please do let me know.

kind regards,

Last edited:
Pranam Ganapathi,

Hinduism does not have seminaries for people wanting to become Sadhus. There are a number of Sadhus and ashrams in U.S. You have to be fairly advanced in your spiritual path before any genuine Ashram in U.S will admit you. The conditions are quite stringent like the primary qualification of spending at least 6 to 7 hours per day in Puja/meditation.

What you should be aware of is that there are a number of Ashrams run by Swamijis from India. Many of them promise instant salvation, instant Kundalini etc. The psychiatrists in U.S have a good practice dealing with the former inmates of these ashrams. Caveat emptor is the rule here.

but I feel being a sadhu and having company of other sadhus would help me out a lot more than where I'm at now.
This may not be possible either in India or in U.S at this stage in your spiritual life.

My suggestion would be

1. Study different aspects of Hinduism.

2. Identify the path which suits your temperament.

3. Since you want to become a renunciate, you need a Guru. Even earlier if you are able to get a Guru it will help you in your spiritual progress. But again I should warn that most of the Gurus in India and U.S are fake. The followers of fake Gurus suffer from Psychological Trauma.

It took me more than 10 years to find a Guru. Then I was fortunate.

Of all the paths, Bhakthi Marga is the easiest. You do not have to be a renunciate. BTW none of our Rishis (Seers) were renunciates or Sannyasis.

Generally the steps in the spiritual path is

1. Worship of many Gods.

2. Worship of a Single God. (Ishta Devata).

3. Saguna or Nirguna Brahman.

I will send you the name of a couple of groups where you can ask questions regarding Hinduism.

GOD Bless You.

Last edited:
A small story about attachment.

Once upon a time there was a sadhu whose only possession was two Koupeenams (loincloth). He used to wash and dry the extra koupeenam he had.

He was perfectly content until one day he discovered a mouse had nibbled a large hole in the loincloth. Thinking for a while on how to resolve this problem he decided that the only solution was to get a cat. The cat needed feeding so he felt he had to get a cow to provide it with milk.

But milking the cow was taking a lot of time which he knew he should be spending in meditation. Once again he thought long and hard and decided that he would have to get himself a wife to milk the cow. Then the wife needed a house and with her came children to help run the farm.

So because of an extra koupeenam, a Sannyasi became a Grahastha.

Mr.Nacchi,
If u don't mind ! Please send me also the name of a couple of groups where you can ask questions regarding Hinduism

Nanri Vanakkam!

Namaste Chintana,

Yes, I received your e-mails. Thank you. I've got a lot to think about with this information. I may not be ready in this lifetime to become a sadhu, but that is okay.

Have a good Purnima,

Ganapathi Narayana

Dear Ganapathi Narayana,

Wish you all the best. Desire to pursue the spiritual path itself is laudable.
As I said earlier, Sanyasa is not necessary to realize your SELF. All that is
required of you is detachment from the worldly things. Do your duty and
leave the rest to God. Love everyone and see yourself in others and others
in you. Good luck again.

Vijisesh,

"Realise where u have placed your wallet and whether it is still available there ! in the crowd of sanyasis !!"

This is no way to inform a person who is new to the Hindu religion.

As this posting is an insult to sannyasis I am taking it down.

Chintana

Last edited:
Respected Narayan,
I am also very much interested in ur thoughts...Can u plz give me ur id? So that i can contact u........

my mail id is [email protected]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back