• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Green Mango Curry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Green-Mango-Curry-530x394.jpg

Ingredients

• 75gm raw mango
  • 1/2 onion, chopped
  • 1 garlic, crushed
  • 2 tsp oil
  • Small piece of jaggery, crushed
  • 1 tsp coriander powder
  • 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
  • Pinch of turmeric
  • 1/2 tsp saunf
  • Salt to taste
  • 1/2 tsp cumin seeds

Method

• Peel the raw mango, slice it and boil it in water for 10 minutes till it softens
  • Throw the water and keep the mango aside
  • Heat oil in a vessel, add garlic, onion, cumin seeds and stir
  • Add coriander powder, red chilli powder, turmeric, saunf to 1/2 cup water. Add this water to the onion mixture in the vessel and stir
  • Now add the crushed jaggery and mix well
  • Then add the cooked mango and water as required to make a smooth gravy. Cook for 10 minutes on high heat
  • Serve hot with rice/ roti

Green-Mango-Curry-.jpg

Why would you waste good green Mango?
I love eating raw green mango, any other process is waste. LOL

Why would you waste good green Mango?
I love eating raw green mango, any other process is waste. LOL

My granparents (amma's side) used to make "mangai pachadi" which had a tinge of "pulippu" and "inippu" infused with the mango smell. It is a delicious concoction and definitely a much better option for some than eating the raw mango. Of course then there is always the delicious mix of sliced raw mango with salt and chilli powder, but still...

My granparents (amma's side) used to make "mangai pachadi" which had a tinge of "pulippu" and "inippu" infused with the mango smell. It is a delicious concoction and definitely a much better option for some than eating the raw mango. Of course then there is always the delicious mix of sliced raw mango with salt and chilli powder, but still...

My one purpose on trip to chennai is to eat that raw mango. That is the only street food I will buy and eat it before reaching home. When you have too much time on your hand, i understand you need to make all these concoction for variety. I generally have few days in chennai, that too in some relatives home.

Here in US we get some fruit shaped like a mango, it neither tastes like mango or has the texture of that special green mango of chennai. We pay astronomical price but, they are only good for pickles, or some thing cooked. We bought some mangos in Costa Rica shops and explained in English to a spanish speaking shopkeeper and managed to get him to cut the mangoes, Wow they were good.

Last edited:
Have you tried Kenyan mangoes? They are just an apology for mangoes. The Pakistani ones are very good, just like our Indian ones, and oftentimes better.
However, the green mangoes which you mention are rarely available. I have to travel to Chennai for that.:)

Have you tried Kenyan mangoes? They are just an apology for mangoes. The Pakistani ones are very good, just like our Indian ones, and oftentimes better.
However, the green mangoes which you mention are rarely available. I have to travel to Chennai for that.:)

I just learnt that green vegetables are delivered to Abu Dhabi from Dubai based on telephonic order - even Manathakkali Keerai is available ! Perhaps you would get your green mangoes from them? That said, I have often seen green mangoes in the local veg shops here, but they are the smaller variety that could be used for pickles.

Apart from Indian mangoes, others are a waste, imo. I found Pakistani mangoes to be terrible, on the one occasion I tried, and left it at that. Perhaps, that particular batch was low in quality.

Last edited:
Hi AUH,
Thanks for the info. Yes, you are right, sometimes the Pakistani mangoes are superb and sometimes awful. Green mangoes? Well, I did buy a kilo or two whenI caught sight of them,hoping to make the yummy pickle my m-i-l used to make, but they were all yellowy and squashy from the inside! Not the crisp variety you get back home. :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back