• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Chak De India

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lotus_quartz

Chak De India is a 'must see'.

A welcome change for a nation obsessed with cricket.

Not many actually remember or realize that it is not the cricket but Hockey which is the national game.

A surreptitious phone call to a panju friend revealed that 'Chak De' is borrowed from panjabi 'Chak de Phattee', where 'chak de' means sort of buck-up of lift it.

But I could not seek clarification on 'Phatte'. Is it the same as 'Paththey' as in "Ullu ke paththey" ?

Dear Sri LQ Ji,

My wife and I saw this movie last week at the local Indian movie theater - my city where I live in USA has two such theaters, where they screen Hindi, Tamil, Telugu and Malayalam movies. (Yes, please tell Sri Hari that I have seen 'Sivaji'. It was so bad, it was good! We enjoyed it!)

I don't understand Hindi and at first I thought that 'Chak De' meant 'Discard It' as in "chuck' in English. I only understood the meaning after my wife (who is an Indian army 'brat') explained the meaning.

By the way, like the Tamilians 'teach' some choice Tamil expressions like 'Unga....' to the non tamilians, one of my wife's dear north Indian friend has taught me about "ullu ke....". SHAME ON YOU!

When we meet sometime in person, we will raise a glass of 'nature's milk' to each of us and laugh!

Pranams,
KRS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back