• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Energy Needs

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lotus_quartz

What are the energy needs of the country 10-years from now ? 20-years from now ? Assuming that NSG countries readily part with the nuke fuel, do we have the money to set up huge nuke power plants which could consume such fule ? Assuming further that such money could be arranged, what kind of trickle down effect it would produce for the rest of the society ?
Presently, services account for around 35 % of GDP and is slated to grow further. With abundant availability of cheap and reliable power (thanks to Nuke power plants), are we going to see boom in manufacturing and even in agriculture sectors ?

Good call

What are the energy needs of the country 10-years from now ? 20-years from now ? Assuming that NSG countries readily part with the nuke fuel, do we have the money to set up huge nuke power plants which could consume such fule ? Assuming further that such money could be arranged, what kind of trickle down effect it would produce for the rest of the society ?
Presently, services account for around 35 % of GDP and is slated to grow further. With abundant availability of cheap and reliable power (thanks to Nuke power plants), are we going to see boom in manufacturing and even in agriculture sectors ?

Good topic LQ saab.

Pray why in Jokes thread ? Or did you mean your statement of "abundant availability of cheap and reliable power" as a joke ? ha ha ha :)

I dont think Nuclear power is going to overtake conventional power generation in a medium to short term. As i understand 1-2-3 will only cater to 6% of our increased power requirements ?

Funding the plants shouldnt be a problem (with banks, Domestic Financial institutions stash with funds) though there can be serious issues in finding land since at the national level we dont seem to have a consensus on how to approach conversion of cultivable land for industrial purposes.

Increased power generation would surely improve farm output though i cant see how it is going to boost manufacturing very significantly.

I think it is reasonably fair to state that we have lost the manufacturing game to China. For too long, we kept passing on our inefficiencies to pricing and we have lost the plot completely.

Services is the way to go.

As regards Energy Security, it is safe to assume that Fossil fuel will not last beyond 70 years. Though with advancing technology success rate of extraction will improve, consumption i think will outstrip supply. Safe to assume that 70 years hence, your cars would need solar cells :)

Output from Renewable energy has to be increased, despite the Energy security tie-ups India is pursuing with countries like Saudi Arabia.

Conventional energy is polluting and China is a prime example.

The first and foremost reforms in power sector we need is to cutdown distribution losses, prevent power theft, improve collections and reduce TCO.

Long way to go.

Our power-hungry babus have hardly time for the populace who are hungry for power. :)

Good topic LQ saab.

Pray why in Jokes thread ? Or did you mean your statement of "abundant availability of cheap and reliable power" as a joke ? ha ha ha :)

I dont think Nuclear power is going to overtake conventional power generation in a medium to short term. As i understand 1-2-3 will only cater to 6% of our increased power requirements ?

Funding the plants shouldnt be a problem (with banks, Domestic Financial institutions stash with funds) though there can be serious issues in finding land since at the national level we dont seem to have a consensus on how to approach conversion of cultivable land for industrial purposes.

Increased power generation would surely improve farm output though i cant see how it is going to boost manufacturing very significantly.

I think it is reasonably fair to state that we have lost the manufacturing game to China. For too long, we kept passing on our inefficiencies to pricing and we have lost the plot completely.

Services is the way to go.

As regards Energy Security, it is safe to assume that Fossil fuel will not last beyond 70 years. Though with advancing technology success rate of extraction will improve, consumption i think will outstrip supply. Safe to assume that 70 years hence, your cars would need solar cells :)

Output from Renewable energy has to be increased, despite the Energy security tie-ups India is pursuing with countries like Saudi Arabia.

Conventional energy is polluting and China is a prime example.

The first and foremost reforms in power sector we need is to cutdown distribution losses, prevent power theft, improve collections and reduce TCO.

Long way to go.

Our power-hungry babus have hardly time for the populace who are hungry for power. :)

I posted this in Jokes section since it is part of larger category of "Coffee House" [aka kapi wandi for the hardcore tambrams], and secondly because the "Current Affairs" section does not have any sub-section "Economic Issues". Perhaps, the administrators will be kind enought to broaden this category by adding more sub-sections for posting new threads. "Reservations" and "Politics" sub-sections of Current Affairs are grossly misused to give wrong picture of Brahmins. Brahmins, IMHO are those who relish and excel in pursuit of knowledge and not those who suffer from chronic cry-baby syndrome [crying against reservations exceeding reasonable limits, politics of convinience etc.].

In developed economies, 60-70 % of Electrical Energy comes from Nuclear and Hydel power plants and they have greatly reduced their dependance on fossil-fuel based power. If we proceed in this direction, at least few major gains could be expected:

1. Spurt in investment in Engineering, Buildings, High tech equipments etc. will lead to increased demand for Engineers, Scientists, Contractors, manufactured goods etc. This could provide employment opportunities to millions of Engineers we produce every year. Not all of them are fit for writing programs for western countries. Their labour could be fruitful to the country in more effective manner.

2. Increased ability to understand the complexities of Thorium feul cycle and eventual cracking of Thorium fuel problem. As such, India holds 25 % of known world deposits of Thorium available as Monozite sands in Kerala. We have not been able to work out commercial exploitation of this precious Nuclear substance to our advantage.

3. Efficient management of power companies may be possible since green-field N-projects outside the control of state governments will be more business savvy and will not run up huge backlog payments with their customers.

4. Services have not really produced sufficient trickle down effects. It has put greater purchasing power in the hands of youngsters who have gone mostly for conspicuous consumption and usually spend on housing, automobiles and personal consumption items only. N-plants will have greater immediate benefits - more jobs for manual labour, better roads, better ports, more transmission lines, more buildings, need for new townships etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back