• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

IT season

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few questions in my mind...
Is it not a privacy issue for us to share information with the Govt??
Why should we be taxed multiple times? While getting money as well as service and other taxes while spending?
Are self employed people virtually out of IT dept's grip?
Why are they not taxing agriculture at all, though some landlords may earn a lot?
Are the consumers and salaried class the most affected by Tax rules while the businessmen just pass on the burden to others?

dear sir,
though the salaried class gets 'income' taxed. but justice is done by service tax and excise and custom duties which is on all indians. so these indirect taxes are a great levellers. we should only have income returns and taxes should be indirect only!!
regards
eswaran

DEAR sir,
in addition the inflation is another great leveller as it affects all and sundry. that is why the politicians hyperventilate when it crosses double digit!!. as long as the price of basic commadities is within the range of common people there is no problem.
regards
eswaran

Not quite

dear sir,
though the salaried class gets 'income' taxed. but justice is done by service tax and excise and custom duties which is on all indians. so these indirect taxes are a great levellers. we should only have income returns and taxes should be indirect only!!
regards
eswaran

Mr Eswaran,

Not sure how indirect tax is a leveller. And tax is paid by all whoever has income in the form of

a) Salaries
b) From House property
c) Business
d) Capital Gains
e) Other sources

Of this salaried is worst hit since he uses his tax suffered income to buy tax bearing goods and services which the producers of goods and services 'pass on' to us. A tax exempt income earner like say an agriculturist only bears the indirect tax.

So finally all taxes - direct and indirect - "vidunjufy" on our (salaried) head. So on a like to like basis, the marginal rate of tax that a salaried guy suffers both on his income and his consumption basket will be high compared to a non-salary taxed guy.

Producers of goods and services, due to the nature of the customs & excise only pass on the incidence to us. They dont suffer because of this except that where the incidence is increased they are forced to become price un-competitive.

It took us several years to remove the double taxation of dividends.

The only 'relief' so to say for the salaried is that he is kept out of Tax administration. Unlike a company he does not have the hassles of tax deduction at source and remittance.

Mr Eswaran,

Not sure how indirect tax is a leveller. And tax is paid by all whoever has income in the form of

a) Salaries
b) From House property
c) Business
d) Capital Gains
e) Other sources

Of this salaried is worst hit since he uses his tax suffered income to buy tax bearing goods and services which the producers of goods and services 'pass on' to us. A tax exempt income earner like say an agriculturist only bears the indirect tax.

So finally all taxes - direct and indirect - "vidunjufy" on our (salaried) head. So on a like to like basis, the marginal rate of tax that a salaried guy suffers both on his income and his consumption basket will be high compared to a non-salary taxed guy.

Producers of goods and services, due to the nature of the customs & excise only pass on the incidence to us. They dont suffer because of this except that where the incidence is increased they are forced to become price un-competitive.

It took us several years to remove the double taxation of dividends.

The only 'relief' so to say for the salaried is that he is kept out of Tax administration. Unlike a company he does not have the hassles of tax deduction at source and remittance.
Hi Mr.Hari
I am Manikandan, small clarification..monthly salary for everybody is remitted with tax deduction to us then why we again files tax returns......what is the necessity?

dear sir,
i agree it our head which is a sitting duck for it. however in addition to what i told earlier about income returns it will be a boon if we adopt expenditure taxation rather than income tax. but for this all purchases are to be "legit" which is asking for too much in our place as we prefer not to take bill to avoid vat/st.(this is another bootham-vat).
regards
eswaran

Dear NE:
Do you know, you hit on a brilliant idea! In the US, this has been floated many a times. Again, good ideas always lose to dirty politics, vote banks and special interests!!
Just think, if we tax all the expenditures, then even people who use black money will have to pay taxes!
I wish some MP will introduce a bill in the Parliament! (Is this how a new bill is introduced in India?)
Can you still avoid paying VAT? I thought (based on my experience in Chennai), all purchases have to have VAT added!
This is another 'Indian' phenomenon - always asking the sales clerk not to bill, to avoid taxes! The funny thing is these very same people also demand handouts from the government -- they think Government is something which has money coming from the bottomless pit!

dear sir,
i agree it our head which is a sitting duck for it. however in addition to what i told earlier about income returns it will be a boon if we adopt expenditure taxation rather than income tax. but for this all purchases are to be "legit" which is asking for too much in our place as we prefer not to take bill to avoid vat/st.(this is another bootham-vat).
regards
eswaran

Last edited:
Good chartered accountant in Chennai needed

Hello all,

I am interested in a CA who is very proficient in US/India tax issues, including double-taxation avoidance treaties, and NRI/PIO taxation issues. Can someone please recommend a good, honest, competent CA in Chennai? I have heard of some unscrupulous CAs who mismanage or misuse private information for personal gains. So I am looking for some very honest recommendations. Many thanks.

ngopalas

Taxation

I guess many are unwilling to pay tax. The core issue is the lack uniform direct taxation ( for middle and rich) .One more thing is you are well without any Govt services.Even many private companies are behaving like Govt organizations now a days. Third is most of the money you pay will end up in corrupt politician and officers pocket. Fourth is nobody has the aim to develop the entire nation as a whole.Nobody gets the feeling I have to pay for my nation....

I am totally confused with the current series of returns form . If I am a salaried employee ,Form 16 has entire details about the income and deduction.Why should I fill another form that is obscure?

Is it not the Govt job to reach out people with easier methods? If one guy with a graduate degree not able to file his/her own returns what kind of rules and procedures we have?

Parliamentary democracy

I will try to give an idea how laws are enacted in India.
1)First of all the ruling party / one of its supporting party has to come up with
an idea which will serve for its electoral gain.
2) they have to pass resolutions in their party meetings.
3) Stage demonstrations and protests for it
4) Write letters to other political leaders
5) If the idea will affect the party itself go on an infinite loop on 2 to 4 steps .(Example 33% women reservation).
6) Talk with alliance partners. Depending on the political realities they will take the quite expected decision.
7) Concerned Minister should raise to read the bill...Thats it...Depending on the mood of the opposition , supporting opposition,opposing supporters the bill may be picked from the minister and may be torn . Or if they are in good mood the parliament will be adjourned due to pandamonium.
8) As 7 is getting executed for long the last day bill will be passed without discussion (within parliament) by the Govt with a vote without any opposition (meaning they have staged a walk out).
9) In case the idea , however danger to the nation and against common sense all members get together and claim they are only responsible for it.
The other parties have ignored it for long. The bill will be passed without even a single MP opposing it in the parliament.

Dear NE:
Do you know, you hit on a brilliant idea! In the US, this has been floated many a times. Again, good ideas always lose to dirty politics, vote banks and special interests!!
Just think, if we tax all the expenditures, then even people who use black money will have to pay taxes!
I wish some MP will introduce a bill in the Parliament! (Is this how a new bill is introduced in India?)
Can you still avoid paying VAT? I thought (based on my experience in Chennai), all purchases have to have VAT added!
This is another 'Indian' phenomenon - always asking the sales clerk not to bill, to avoid taxes! The funny thing is these very same people also demand handouts from the government -- they think Government is something which has money coming from the bottomless pit!

Bureaucrats - experts at obfuscation!

Don't you know that India is in a unique place with some moronic thing called "IAS, IRS, IPS, IFS"? No other country in the world, including UK has this idiotic civil service titles!
Anyway, these bureaucrats, once they come to power (yes, POWER!), they just sit and cook up all these complicated tax forms, procedures and what have you, that even they will not understand! Then they start thinking about seniority and promotion!!

I guess many are unwilling to pay tax. The core issue is the lack uniform direct taxation ( for middle and rich) .One more thing is you are well without any Govt services.Even many private companies are behaving like Govt organizations now a days. Third is most of the money you pay will end up in corrupt politician and officers pocket. Fourth is nobody has the aim to develop the entire nation as a whole.Nobody gets the feeling I have to pay for my nation....

I am totally confused with the current series of returns form . If I am a salaried employee ,Form 16 has entire details about the income and deduction.Why should I fill another form that is obscure?

Is it not the Govt job to reach out people with easier methods? If one guy with a graduate degree not able to file his/her own returns what kind of rules and procedures we have?

Don't you know that India is in a unique place with some moronic thing called "IAS, IRS, IPS, IFS"? No other country in the world, including UK has this idiotic civil service titles!

But SF, given the fact about the kind of "language" that is used by politicians in running the Govt, we surely need some "civil" guys to execute the will of the politicians isnt it ?

Fire ji has missed one last point in the process of law enaction. That is the ordinance route. Moment the Govt realises that the law cannot be enacted, it can promulgate an ordinance thru the President which has to be converted into law in the next session.

To the best of my knowledge, it can be extended again and again ?

In the whole process of law enaction, there is though the sense of satisfaction that despite the suzerainty that US of A enjoys in the world arena, "Bill" has to be "introduced" in our Parliament.

Governor's power!!!

Yes ...As Hari Ji mentioned in TN we had Prevention of Forcible conversion bill in during JJ period (introduced as emergency ordinance i guess)....After the parliament election loss JJ realized she was on the way to hell they allowed it to expire the ordinance...

Similarly worth mentioning is the Governors power to postpone the approval of the enacted bill indefinitely...I guess even the President is having the same power...Because what a Governor to a state is the President to the nation...Cable bill of TN was not approved by Udan Pirappu Surjit Singh Barnala as it was against SUN TV.

17 years back we had the same Governor,same CM ...Chandrasekar supported by Rajiv at the Center. I just compare the political situation now...There is nothing much change on MK side and Surjit side..Even Surjit said some years back law and order was perfect during 1990...But the Central politics have become like our state politics now.

Fire ji has missed one last point in the process of law enaction. That is the ordinance route. Moment the Govt realises that the law cannot be enacted, it can promulgate an ordinance thru the President which has to be converted into law in the next session. To the best of my knowledge, it can be extended again and again ? ..........

Hari/Fire:
What does this mean? If the govt. can enact anything they want to bring, why go thru the democratic process? It seems this is a big flaw in the Indian style of democracy.
Fire:
Why is the Tamil Nadu Governor, who is a Sikh, chums with MK? What is the deal here?

Hari/Fire:
What does this mean? If the govt. can enact anything they want to bring, why go thru the democratic process? It seems this is a big flaw in the Indian style of democracy.
Fire:
Why is the Tamil Nadu Governor, who is a Sikh, chums with MK? What is the deal here?

SF,

It is a case of good intent put to bad use.

The ordinance route was originally designed to aid quick legislation for temporary purpose when Parliament is not in session.

Say for eg: Sugar is in short supply and you have to ban sugar export. To quickly and legally prevent sugar export, an ordinance could be issued to the effect. It IS expected that the ordinance will be ratified in Parliament when it meets next.

Guv and MK may be hobnobbing coz both are 'Sikh' as of today. (One a genuine and one due to failing health)

Seeeku (Sikh) in tamil means ill-health.

Vara vara en kadi enaalaye thaanga mudiyala...

dear sir,
have you seen the tax collectors in "hagar the horrible"
i understand the IRS in US is a tough cookie??
secondly ,more complicated the form more the merrier for some.
from time immemorial taxes have been collected in one form or other(remember kishti-kattabomman fame)
let us all pay taxes and hide the No2 account book.(in the family owned companies in india the related munim is more powerful than the cfo)
regards
eswaran

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back