• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Traffic problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
What can be the solution for the traffic problem the major cities face? In short term should we encourage people not to use cars ? Will it be a good idea to charge a certain amount for cars and two wheelers and use it to provide good public transport systems ?How technology (with other methods) is used in other countries to give a permanent solution?

Another related question why do we have so many beggars in India, still we have so called aam admi Govt and so many NRIs...Dont they able to provide basic facilities to them that they provide to refugees of other Nations?

Dear Sri fire ji,

The answer is very simple: India must build more roads to ease the congestion! It amazes me that no one is willing to take the Governments in India to task for not planning properly and not building adequate infrastructure to accommodate the expected growth!

The Indian citizenry should start asking for more out of their democratic representitives!

The answe squarely lies with the Government, not with the consumers.

Pranams,
KRS

Our democracy is settling down to low level of public expectations and equally low levels of leadership. We still continue to elect leaders based on their caste, religion etc and not on the basis of their proven abilities or integrity etc.

To compound the matters further, the responsibility of roads is three tiered (actually, 4 tiered if you take Border Roads also). Centre takes care of national highways (some what well made/maintained), state governments take care of state highways (pathetic condition in most states) and muncipalities/corporations to look after city and town roads.

THe local bodies like muncipalities are poorly funded and the local and state level organisations soak up the funds at a very high absorption rate (trickle down effect does not work here !) leaving practically nothing for making roads.

Most of the cities of today are outcome of haphazard growth without much of town planning standards. Widening of roads requires aquisition of land which always falls prey to pressure groups and vested interests etc.

Dear lotus_quartz:
Excellent analysis. But the $64,000 question is: How do we fix it? I always chuckle when I read in newspapers 'letters to the editor' columns ((in Chennai); people complained about the pathetic conditions of roads, garbage piling up, etc. Almost all these lettes ended up saying "I request the authorities to ..". But nobody knows: Just WHO ARE these authorities?

I see there is absolutely no accountability at all at all levels of government. Unless these govt. officials are held accountable, nothing will get done.

You know, the county (we dont have districts) where I live (US), has a list of telephone numbers and names of persons responsible. If you see a pothole somewhere in the road or a fused lamp in a street, you pick up the phone and tell this person where it is. It is fixed within a week.
I can write to my Senator (similar to your MP) and without fail I will get a response.

Last edited:
Absolutely wrong | Ineffective system

I see there is absolutely no accountability at all at all levels of government. Unless these govt. officials are held accountable, nothing will get done.

It is fixed within a week.

SF,

You cant be more wrong.

What there is no "accountability" ?

Phew !

In our system unless everyone is "accounted for", things wouldnt move.

I couldn't believe that for the largest economy in the world, how US of A can have such apathy towards public conveniences.

What within a week ? No systems ? No Procedures ?

Please learn from India

Step 1 : Call for a tender. Publish in all newspapers especially “Viduthalai”
Step 2 : Receive tender and along with it…ahem…ahem
Step 3 : Open the tenders and then determine L1, L2, L3
Step 4 : Communicate to everyone EXCEPT who is L1, L2 and L3
Step 5 : Negotiate. Strictly personal affair
Step 6 : Redraw New L1, New L2 & New L3.
Step 7 : Fix the “Recurring Payments” for ahem ahem
Step 8 : Release order
Step 9 : Manufacture and Supply
Step 10 : Receive the bulbs at Govt warehouse.
Step 11 : Find the ones which are *acceptable*. A sort of “reverse discrimination”
Step 12 : Issue the bulbs…wait a minute…first to the contractors, personal use and other side deals. Arrive at the minimum quantity for public. (Aside : Have you ever wondered why we always claim that the Govt has to implement “Common Minimum Program”….Simple…Minimum is reserved for the Common man)
Step 13 : Issue the bulbs to Corporation
Step 14 : Corporation issues to Ward
Step 15 : Ward issues to Municipality
Step 16 : Receive whatever the “Trickle Down Effect” permits
Step 17 : Issue the bulb to the Lineman
Step 18 : Lineman rations the bulbs to be fitted based on the number of bulbs to be replaced…ahem in his house and what the “friendly annachi” shop needs
Step 19 : Fix the ladder at the bottom of the electric pole with 2 bulbs. Drop one as you climb
Step 20 : Fix the one left which glows with full brightness
<Dam !>
Transformer has a short circuit. Victim – the bulb just replaced
Now what ?
Repeat Step 1
For your benefit the steps involved in getting the payment released have not been documented.
And you blame, we don’t have a system.
As Prabhu would say in Chandramukhi : “Enna Kodummmmmmma Saravanan idhu”

Indian system!

Dear Hari:
I stand corrected! The Indians DO have a system! That reminds me of this anecdote someone sent! Some of you might already have read this!

THE INDIAN WAY OF DOING THINGS!

Three contractors . . one from India, another from Germany and the third from England are bidding to repair the White House fence. They go with a White House official to examine the fence.

The English contractor takes out a tape measure and does some measuring, then works on some figures with a pencil. "Well," he says.
"I figure the job will cost $900 . . . $400 for materials, $400 for labour and $100 profit for me."

The German contractor also does some measuring and figuring, then says, "I can do this job for $700 . . $300 for materials, $300 for my crew and $100 profit for me."

The Indian contractor doesn't measure or do any figuring, but leans over to the White House official and whispers: "$2,700."

The official incredulously says, "You didn't even measure like the other guys! How did you come up with such a high figure?"

"Easy," the Indian explains, "$1,000 for you, $1,000 for me and we hire the guy from Germany to do the work!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back