• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Are we sufficiently health conscious ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hariharan1972

For reasons stated in PS below i have initiated this thread

a) Are we sufficiently conscious of our health ?

b) Do teetotallers have an assumed belief of supremacy about their health ?

c) An interesting comment one my ex-bosses made. Do the flurry of financial products available in the market make us indifferent to our health once we take "care of everything after our time".

d) How much of an impact lifestyle has on health ?

PS :
A terrible day for me. My close colleague, 43, teetotaller of Naras brand, 2 young daughters passed away this morning due to a massive heartattack. Apparently he had ignored some symptoms.

Praying Almightly for his soul to rest in peace.

Anthing done in moderation is ok, including occasional teatotalling !

For reasons stated in PS below i have initiated this thread

a) Are we sufficiently conscious of our health ?

b) Do teetotallers have an assumed belief of supremacy about their health ?

c) An interesting comment one my ex-bosses made. Do the flurry of financial products available in the market make us indifferent to our health once we take "care of everything after our time".

d) How much of an impact lifestyle has on health ?

PS :
A terrible day for me. My close colleague, 43, teetotaller of Naras brand, 2 young daughters passed away this morning due to a massive heartattack. Apparently he had ignored some symptoms.

Praying Almightly for his soul to rest in peace.

Indians just ignore their wellbeing!

Dear Hari:
I am so glad you brought up this subject. After 40 years, I was staying in Chennai for 7 months at a stretch and I was able to observe people. One thing I have noticed is that people just DO NOT pay any attention to their health. They just assume everything is fine until something goes wrong and then they go to the doctor. Also very many of them do not exercise.

However, people don't seem to realize many of our ailments do not manifest themselves or there is absolutely no symptom. High blood pressure comes to mind; it doesn't have any symptoms at all.
The point I am trying to make is that people would rather spend enormous money to gulp pills than go to the doctor for an annual checkup.
For men: once-a-year:
1. Complete blood work - hdl/ldl/triglyceroids
2. Blood sugar level
3. A digital exam by an urologist for prostate
4. Blood pressure
People should go to the dentist at least once a year to completely clean their teeth to remove the plaques; they also cause many problems

For women:
1. Annual mammogram
2. Pap smear
3. Thyroid tests
4. Complete blood work/Blood sugar levels

Both men and women Must do some exercise every week. Watch what they eat; too many carbohydrate colories (esp. for vegetarians) will put you at risk for diabetes.

Finally, alcohol: Exhaustive research has shown that having a glass or two of alcoholic drink is actually good for your health; against heart diseases. Now I am not advocating for anybody to run down to the liquor store and buy liquor. If you have never drunk, don't take it up! Nevertheless, alcohol in moderation is good for you. I drink only red wine (good wine is not available in Tamil Nadu anyway!); I do not touch hard liquor (scotch, whiskey, rum, vodka). If anybody wants proof of the goodness of consuming alcoholic drinks - again, in moderation - , I will be happy to send them references.

Bottom line: Many of the mild ailments can be cured simply BY REGULAR EXERCISE!

Last edited:
sirs- last sunday, a distant bramin friend of mine, aged about 42, father of a 7 yr old boy, also a teetotaller, suddeny got a heart attack at about 04 30 am in the morning and passed away within 10 minutes of that attack. he has never had any chest pain before. May his soul rest in peace.

i thnk people should do lot of walking particularly in open space. climbing stairs, and coming down, without using lifts is also a good exercise. Yoga, meditation will also help reduce stress.

There are symptoms!

Suresh:
I can guarantee you there were symptoms but, unfortunately, this young man of 42, either just didn't recognize them or ignored them. Besides, nobody in India goes for a regular checkup. The normal symptoms: one might feel breathlessness when walking or climbing up stairs; or feel some uneasiness/tightness in the chest. Extreme stress either job-related or personal can bring on these problems.
I am not a doctor but any physician who reads this..please correct me if I have stated anything incorrect.

sirs- last sunday, a distant bramin friend of mine, aged about 42, father of a 7 yr old boy, also a teetotaller, suddeny got a heart attack at about 04 30 am in the morning and passed away within 10 minutes of that attack. he has never had any chest pain before. May his soul rest in peace.

i thnk people should do lot of walking particularly in open space. climbing stairs, and coming down, without using lifts is also a good exercise. Yoga, meditation will also help reduce stress.

More attention needed!!!

People are not giving more care for health in India.Here wealth takes precedence over the Health.Enough education is also needed for employees.If Govt and Company comes forward to give free good checkup of their employees it will do good for more people. Many are postponing it because they have to spend when they are not feeling any problem and they consider it as unnecessary expense. I guess some companies are giving this option to their employees. Not only this , many facilities if given by company as reimbursement option people will make use of it. If they give it as money they wont spend .....(For example we wont hire a cab to come back from office. We wont go for parties in expensive hotels etc).

But on our own , we have to plan and allocate money every month.All should concentrate on physical training too. I remember Gandhi's book saying he used to walk 8 to 10 km each day and that made his body strong.We have to follow atleast 2 km each day . Swimming,Gym,Yoga will be gud I guess.
Regular checkup, continuous monitoring of elder people are also mandatory. I think the pollution and traffic ,tension ,limited resources of the city life have made us just machines working for making money.

Good Food habits

Sir
I believe that good food habits also contribute to good health. Atleast keeping away from junk food after a certain age will help us keep fit. As Sri SF said regular exercise is a must for adults. Let us encourage our children to do lot of sports than being a couch potato....
Nandriyudan
Bagya.

Dear Sri Hari, Sri LQ Ji and Sri Silverfox Ji,

I agree with both of you. I have also lost dear ones who were pure vegetarians and teetotelers to untimely deaths.

There are models to be followed elsewhere in the world (Mediterranean and Japanese), for long life based on diet. But more than anything I think that what is required is to eat in moderation as Sri LQ says above.

Exercise (physical labor) is very important, but it is only one factor.

Dear Sri Hari, and Sri Naras Ji, I am sorry to hear about your friends. While we grieve for the departed, the real load of bad Karma is on the loved ones. We pray for their well being.

Pranams,
KRS

sirs- many persons do not tell their family members about their medical problems due to fear that their kith and kin may panic. even this is wrong. you should take members of your family into confidence and reveal the exact state of your health. support from family members will be of great help to a person affected by an ailment.

India's maternal childbirth deaths 'shocking': UN
Wednesday December 5 2007 00:00 IST AFP
pageid=1
NEW DELHI: India will not meet a key United Nations' development goal to cut its "shocking" maternal death rate 75 per cent by 2015 at its current pace, a UN health advisor said on Monday.

About 100,000 women die in childbirth in India each year, or one every five minutes.

"In India, more than 300 maternal deaths occur for every 100,000 live births," Paul Hunt, UN special rapporteur on health rights, told reporters on Monday after visiting two of India's worst states for maternal deaths.

"For a middle-income country of its status and stature, the rate of maternal deaths in India is shocking."

Several of India's poorer neighbours do better, including civil war-torn Sri Lanka, where 56 women die for every 100,000 live births.

"At the present rate, neither India nor any of its states will reach their maternal mortality targets for 2015 arising from the millennium development goals," he said.

Among the main causes for maternal deaths - defined as death during pregnancy or up to 42 days after the end of pregnancy - was lack of access to emergency care due to a severe shortage of health care workers, he said.

More than one in five mothers also does not receives prenatal care, according to official Indian figures.

"There is a massive crippling crisis in India's health workforce," Hunt said. "In many parts of the country, life-saving care is unavailable to women giving birth."

Hunt, who urged private medical professionals to work one day a month in public clinics, will submit a final report on his findings to the UN Human Rights Council in 2008.

I believe that Indians are generally not very conscious about their health. We don't live on diets which help build the body and do not encourage exercise. Being chubby is actually socially acceptable for many men and some women. People who eat well and those who do strenuous physical labour are almost usually mutually exclusive groups.

Indians and specifically Tam Brahms tend to use a lot of unsaturated oils in our diets. Admittedly though, because of our vegetarianism, our diets are better than others'. We don't eat things fresh as often as people in other countries. We eat fatty food and dairy products on a regular basis too. There should be an exercise regimen that we impose on ourselves and our younger generations so that everybody may enjoy good health.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back