• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

dakshina samparadhya bajans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Radhey krishnaa
Dear krishna swamy ji ,
Namaskaaram. Thank you for your post , Bajans are very much important to brahmins . It had so many uses apart from releigious reasons . The dakshina sampradhaya bajans are formulated nearly 300 years before , the bajan contains of three major parts .
1. ASTAPATHI BAJAN
2.Divya Naama Sankeerthanam
3.Dolotsavam

main uses of bajans apart from relegious things;
1.It developes calmness in our mind
2. While singing loudly our unwanted energy get exhausted and it helps us to keep healthy .
3.Basically the Sanskrit words are full of vibrations which will act positively on ours .
4.Doing Divya Naama Sankeerthanam will strength our legs and hands .
5.at first the bajans developes patience and treduce our tension and angry . The tension and angry is the major cause of b.p and Heart attacks .

ABOVE ALL BY GRACE OF RADHA KRISHNA WE WILL BUILT A CONFIDENCE IN MIND BY WAY OF ATTENDING THE BAJANS , U R ALWAYS WELCOMED HERE .

BY RELEGIOUS MEANS :
In this Kaliyuga , naamasankeerthanam is the only way to attain the holiness in quick

RADEY KRISHNAA

LOGA SAMASTHA SUGINO BHAVANTHU

Fantastic...

Thanks For The Detailed Views About Bajanai..in Fact Bajanai Makes Us Great When Peace Is There In Us..that Peace We Get When We Loudly Sing Daiva Nama Sangeerthanam And When We Chant Radhe Krishna..ramarama..om Namo Narayana..nice To Read Your Views..

Jai Sri Ram

As the saying goes !!

Shake ur Body, Shake ur soul !!

U flex more muscles and when u chant in chorus with synergy ! with one belief , as mentioned by radheykrishnaa , definitely , it is a great feeling!

Try it once to believe it !!

namaskaram
radheykrishnaa
dear ones ,
geetha geetha ji and vijisesh ji
thank you for your comments.

vishnor ghanacha nirudhhancha nadanancha visheshadhaha
brahman braahmana jaathinam karthavyam nithyakarma vath

as the Dhyana sloka says, it is our daily duty to perfom namasankeerthanam and dhivyanamam. Due to this mechanised social life and fast moving 21st century we cant do it daily. it is very much important to perform it on the month of Margali i.e;dhanur masam because in gita bhagwan said "in all months i am dhanur month . lets do our duty and then look after our rights.
one who failed to do his duty is not eligible to ask about his rights.

dear jis,
please feel free to discuss with me about this topic. The important places regarding the bajan sampradhaya are
1.govindhapuram - the adhistanam of sri bodhendra swamigal
2.thiruvisanalur - the adhistanam of sridharar.
3. marudhanallur - the adhistanam of satguru swamigal
4.nerur - Sadhasiva brahmendral adhistanam
5.Thirupoondhurithi - naraya theerha rs mutt
6.thirvaiaaru - the thiagarajaa's adhistanam
all these places are in tamilnadu .
apart from these there are various other places across the nation .
i am greatful to you dear ones , if you give me details of location of the places except thiruvaiaru and the details regarding the aaradhanas

thank you all
Radhey krishnaa
vittal vittal

Dear Radheykrishna,

Marghazi madham ,

yes i can remember !
Something related to Unja vrithi !
Who come early in the morning , dancing and chanting -- Jai gopala jai govinda!

raadhey krishnaa
dear vijisesh ji , thank you for your post
there are some rules prevailing for taking unjavarthi.

1.the acharya(who tkes unjavarthi) must wore a siga vasthram
like a turban, but one end should spread over the backside of the body.
2.the unjavirithi bowl should tie with a knot by a thread to the right shoulder.
3. if the bowl is hanged , it must not be more than the hip- of the acharya
4. the acharya should finish unjavarthi before maadhyaniga kaalam (i.e, before noon)
5. during bajan times, only the unjavarthi rice is used to prepare lunch nivedya to bagawan.
6. the unjavathi bowl must not be empty at any time
7. acharya must wore panchakkacham.(grahasthas alone are permitted to take unjavarthi.)
these rules are framed by sri. Marudhanallur sadguru swamigal.

radhey krishnaa
vittal vittal
loga samastha sugino bhavanthu

sampradaya bhajans

It is better you explain to the members of the forum what is meant by
sampradaya bhajan, since many may be unaware of its contents.

This Bhajan movement is now gaining popularity thanks to Sri Anna
Krishnapremi, Sri Muralidhara guruji, Sri Jayakrishna Dikhsithar and others.
There are many others, but the within-mentioned three are quite
prominent. Sri Namanandagiri Swamigal, disciple of HH Sri Haridasagiri
swamigal, has been doing sankirtana upanyasam.

Last edited:
Radheykrishnaa
dear , Ranganathan ji
namaskaram.
thank you for your reply.
Samparadhya bajans are those bajans performed in our contry over generations.
it can be classified as
1.uttara sampradhaya bajans - this samparadhaya was get developed in north india itself.
2.Dakshina samparadhaya bajans - formulated in tamilnadu.
the similarities were:
1.focussed on vittal ,krishna and ramachandra.
2.spreads over centuries.
3.Geetha Govinda Maha kavyam or Astapathi
4.Abhangs.
dissimilarities:
1.Guru Dhyanam
2.Divya naama sankeerthanam
3.Dolotsavam
History of Dakshina Samparadhaya bajans:
Sri.Bagavan Naama Bothendra swamigal (a saint lived in 15 th century. kanchi kamakoti peeta Acharya) is the forefather for this samparadhaya.
he was followed by Sri.Sridhara Ayyavaal of thiruvisanaloor by mixing the hari naama sankeerthanam and hara naama sankeerthanam.
Definite rules and regulations for bajans was framed during 16th century by sri.Satguru Swamigal of Marudhanalur.
the bajan may be of two types :
1.Daily bajans
2.utsava bajans
1.form of procedure of a daily bajan:
early morning - swami probothanam , suprabatham
morning - thodaga mangalam,guru dhyanam, geetha govindha kavyam((Astapathi)composed by sri jayadeva swamigal of 12 th century who lived in orrisa),Krishna leela tharangini
(composed by sri narayana theerthar), sri badrachala ramadasar krithis,
sri purandharadasar krithis,sri sadasiva Brahmendra kritis,sri gopala krishna bharathi krithis,sri thyagaraja kritis, abanghs
pooja (by krithis)

mangalam

evening : Dhivya Naama Sankeerthanam
night (within 1st quarter of the night):dolotsavam
mangalam
For those who intrested please visit the following webiste
www.naamasankeerthanam.com
hats off to such a great devotional serivice the webisite is doing. you will get a clear picture of this subject matter there. ...............................................
by grace of vittal we will meet again
vittal vittal
Radhey krishnaa
loga samastha sugino bhavanthu.

Last edited:
Sir, pl., include POLAGAM village, whereSri.VIJAYA GOPALA YATHINDRA Swamigal,s adhrstanam is situated.:gossip:

namaskaram
radheykrishnaa
dear ones ,
geetha geetha ji and vijisesh ji
thank you for your comments.

vishnor ghanacha nirudhhancha nadanancha visheshadhaha
brahman braahmana jaathinam karthavyam nithyakarma vath

as the Dhyana sloka says, it is our daily duty to perfom namasankeerthanam and dhivyanamam. Due to this mechanised social life and fast moving 21st century we cant do it daily. it is very much important to perform it on the month of Margali i.e;dhanur masam because in gita bhagwan said "in all months i am dhanur month . lets do our duty and then look after our rights.
one who failed to do his duty is not eligible to ask about his rights.

dear jis,
please feel free to discuss with me about this topic. The important places regarding the bajan sampradhaya are
1.govindhapuram - the adhistanam of sri bodhendra swamigal
2.thiruvisanalur - the adhistanam of sridharar.
3. marudhanallur - the adhistanam of satguru swamigal
4.nerur - Sadhasiva brahmendral adhistanam
5.Thirupoondhurithi - naraya theerha rs mutt
6.thirvaiaaru - the thiagarajaa's adhistanam
all these places are in tamilnadu .
apart from these there are various other places across the nation .
i am greatful to you dear ones , if you give me details of location of the places except thiruvaiaru and the details regarding the aaradhanas

thank you all
Radhey krishnaa
vittal vittal

Last edited by a moderator:
Radhey krishnaa
namaskaram.
dear ammanji ji;
thank you for this valuble information.
i am thankful to you if you provide more about sri.Vijaya gopala yathindra swamigal;

dear ones ;

By wish of lord vittal, the bajan season for this year is going to commence from dec.16.
Details regaring the happening of bajans all over the world is welcomed.
At rasipuram , my hometown, the radha kalyana utsavam is going to be held on 23-24 of dec this year. I welcome all of you to attend the bajan and be blessed by Sri.Dwarakanath.

Detailed invitation will be mailed soon ...

c all of u later
vittal vittal
Radhey krishnaa
Loga Samastha Sugino Bhavanthu.
.................................................................................................................

while you bhajan who will give unjavarthi to keep you physically fit. in unjavarthi rice is put in the bowl for acharya to go and cook later to keep his life within his body. This is one aspect of brahminism for all to understand.This is a form of alms. which traditionaly considered good for the meek brahmins.

Others who attend the Bhajan get pychological benefits no doubt about it.
But Radheyshyam is a "meme" I recently attended a concept seminar on hinduism conducted by a swamy from Orissa.
He says that upto the age of 25 all should live like Radha and krishna in life.
25 to 50 one should live like Rama and sita with Eka patni vridha.
After 50 years of age every human being should live like Lord Shiva with self abnegation and leaving the worldly pleasures.
Hence this bhajans are good for people of young age as they are nearer to the stage of Radha and krishna.
Singing bhajan can congregate people for talking pleasure and mental satisfaction.
I think this applies to all Tamil Brahmins nowadays with some variations in the time line.
Radheykrishanaa to respond on the concept of this Guruji from Orissa.Also please explain the differrence between libido stimulation and Bhajans. also can you explain the Corybantine dance as comparison if you know.

Fehu
"Down to earth prosperity"

Dear Mr.Fehu,

Don't take me wrong ! I really don't know why offlate the politeness in the messages are not to be seen or rather felt !

I can understand that we express discontent as humans for something which we do not agree to ! But there's surely a way to exhibit !

And we fire our missiles left right and centre , not even suspecting if the opponent has the capacity to withstand him ! Our blunt retaliation and repeated assertiveness will harm someone someday !!

Someone said " Your limit stops where my Nose begins !!"

Let us give respect to other people's emotions , sentiments , beliefs and practices and conduct our discussions without hurting anyone!

Correct me if i am wrong or Join me to make the discussions traverse along the path to bring out fruitful outcome !

Thanks for your patient reading !

while you bhajan who will give unjavarthi to keep you physically fit. in unjavarthi rice is put in the bowl for acharya to go and cook later to keep his life within his body. This is one aspect of brahminism for all to understand.This is a form of alms. which traditionaly considered good for the meek brahmins.

Others who attend the Bhajan get pychological benefits no doubt about it.
But Radheyshyam is a "meme" I recently attended a concept seminar on hinduism conducted by a swamy from Orissa.
He says that upto the age of 25 all should live like Radha and krishna in life.
25 to 50 one should live like Rama and sita with Eka patni vridha.
After 50 years of age every human being should live like Lord Shiva with self abnegation and leaving the worldly pleasures.
Hence this bhajans are good for people of young age as they are nearer to the stage of Radha and krishna.
Singing bhajan can congregate people for talking pleasure and mental satisfaction.
I think this applies to all Tamil Brahmins nowadays with some variations in the time line.
Radheykrishanaa to respond on the concept of this Guruji from Orissa.Also please explain the differrence between libido stimulation and Bhajans. also can you explain the Corybantine dance as comparison if you know.

Fehu
"Down to earth prosperity"

Last edited:
I take you very wrong. Because the concept I have told about age and activities has not been thought out clearly.It is irking that many tamil brahmins are still revelling in bhajans and even carnatic music of the same variety repeatedly.there is no innovation as the western music.
Thinking dispassionately you will understand that what is stifling our culture is the recent "libido beats" by the most of the Tamil music directors. As a closer follower of music contributions by the brahmins I am of the firm view that these bhajans and carnatic music require some innovations and introduction of new formats. New compositions are rare or non-existent.
Let us take life philosophically. If you see the preachings of our gurujis on Dharma,Artha and kama as the proper aspects of life in percentages we can understand that kama with artha is taking over dharma.
You want to advice others without any thinking on your part in the context of the plight of tamil brahmins. Radha and krishna are the presentation of a format of love between man and woman.By a bhajan you try to instil divinity in it looking at them as Godheads.
Go through the links given by Radheyshyam you will understand the propagandist element of some cult for away and alien to Tamil brahmins over the years.

ok Mr.Fehu,

Appreciate your interest on the requirement of innovations and new formats !

Pl advise what this person should do to achieve the innovations in this field ( if at all,he is interested in ), from the study/ research that you have pursued.
I thought , that Sri radhey krishna wouldn't be able to grossly get your view points from your initial msg . But you have simplified in your next msg .

I shall go thru the links and get back further , but

I just wanted to establish that the softer ways to express our view points shall not create tentativeness on the reader and rather make him comfortable to post his views!
and this may even attract more participants into the discussion !

After all I believe that " We humans have something left to be learnt , till the last day of our existence in this world, from any person who has the potential and capability although he may not be convincingly at high levels in terms of every aspect of human gradings !"

Last edited:
Be proud of our culture of Bhajans and Carnatic music

Bhajans are means of concentrating our devotion. The Sampradhaya Bhajan is the traditional way of rendering the Bhajans. I remember the days when the Narada Gana Sabha hall used to reverberate with Swami Haridas Giri's bhajans. The bhajans are not restricted to one Deity. The listener is also able to participate in the singing and the Bhakti bava really overflows.

My father used to sing a couple of Bhajan songs after his daily Puja. I still remember his singing.

As the name itself indicated this is the traditional way of singing. There are modern Bhajans where there is innovation. But this can not be called Sampradhaya Bhajan.

About Carnatic Music, they can only be compared to Western classical music. Beethovan's symphonies and Strauss's compositions are still very popular in the West. Classical music has some rules to be followed whether it is in the West or India. Innovations take the music out of the classical fold. I love the classical western music played by the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra. It is like listening to "Evrrani" by S.G. Kittappa.

Even in popular western music innovations quite often take the essence out of the song. for example the songs "500 miles from home" and "Green green grass of home" have many versions by many singers. But the original versions by Bobby Bare and Tom Jones remain the best.

We should be proud of our tradition of Bhajans and Carnatic music. There is nothing controversial about them. This is our Culture. We are bound by our culture. Let us not denigrate our culture.

Last edited:
Dakshina sampradaya bajans

Dear Mr.Fehu,
I agree with Sri Nacchinarkiniyan. These bajans are sung with deep
devotion and you can see the spirit of bakthi among the participants.
Apart from the spiritual aspect, bajans have beneficial effects on our
nervous system and mind.

Surely we can't compare libido stimulation and corybantine dance with
our bajans.

The term " Radhekrishna " connotes the union of Jivatma and Paramatma.
This is the goal of life - Jivatma ultimately merging with Paramatma.

Here's an interesting related article from the net ..

You don't necessarily have to pray and worship quietly. Many people communicate with God through noise and movement. Singing and chanting — otherwise known as letting your voices be heard — are part of the histories of most world religions. This "beautiful noise" often combines with movement such as dancing — ranging from the Native American Sun Dance to the Sufi whirling dervish — to create an experience that enables the participants to transcend beyond themselves. It's about letting go, giving yourself up to the divine ecstasy that is found in God's love. These actions are often part of the rites of passage found among most religions. Singing, chanting, dancing, and whirling can bring people together, part of the communal experience that unites people of faith.

For more..

Check this site out
http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/DummiesArticle/id-976.html

and

Although Vedic chanting (as well as devotional songs called bhajans) has been a prominent part of the Hindu religious culture for countless generations (almost 3,000 years), in the twenty-first century, the majority of Vedic chanting is found in India. Today, the Hare Krishna movement is bringing many of the teachings of the ancient Hindu scriptures — primarily derived from the Bhagavad-Gita ("Song of the Lord") — into Western society.

Oh buoy ! A tradition from our cuture - 3000 years old -- Interesting !

I declare by studying all the views and formulating a thought process.As a student who is still to understand what is the brahmin culture as Vajra has written"Who am I?" is the constant search I make.When See the libido beats scoring over pure music with new formats I honestly feel even the bajahans should take some new instruments and even carnatic ragas can be mixed and experimented.

apart from this now Sai bahjans and older form Vital bahajns by dancing to music are still in vogue.If you attend the worship done in Ramakrishan mutt with bahajan and gongs it is really a cultural atmosphere of peaceful pursuit towards life and Godly ways.
The problem about Radha krishana bhajan is linked to hare krishna movement.
From the angle of Tamil brahmins I consider historically meek and bhajans with lot of slokas were in existence. Margazhi bhajan is a humble form of morning worship. Radhekrishna bhajan is a modern form that has come from Noth India.
" Ah nachle" and other forms in Tamil in the TV broadcasts are a force to reckon with slowly turning into libido beats. Even the Tamil cinema songs have rustic beats which were not much liked by older brahmins in our community. Hence I have to conclude that radhe krishna bhajan is in noway nearer to andal worship of Perumal in depth or content and is not a tamil brahmin format.

Dear Radhey krishna ji,

Please do get disturbed by some of the above messages and continue providing the information as you had been.

By the way Dec 16 , you have said , the season starts . Any schedule in chennai , I plan to be there on vacation by that time !

Radhey krishnaa
namaskaram.
dear ammanji ji;
i am thankful to you if you provide more about sri.Vijaya gopala yathindra swamigal;

dear ones ;

By wish of lord vittal, the bajan season for this year is going to commence from dec.16.
At rasipuram , my hometown, the radha kalyana utsavam is going to be held on 23-24 of dec this year. I welcome all of you to attend the bajan and be blessed by Sri.Dwarakanath.

c all of u later
vittal vittal
Radhey krishnaa
.................................................................................................................

dakshina sampradaya bajans

Radhekrishna ,

I think Marudanallur Sathguru Swamigal laid down the format of dakshina
sampradaya bhajans. And Swami Bhodendra's contribution to nama sankirtana
was invaluable. Sri Bhodendra was the Pontiff of Kanchi Sankara
Mutt and he relinquished it to spread 'Ramnam'.

Sri Sadasiva Brahmendrar's compositions have rich and deep import. His
songs praise both Nirguna and Saguna forms of worship. Some of his
compositions are sung in bhajans, prominent among them are :

மானஸ சஞ்சரரே .......

ப்ரூஹி முகுந்தேத்தி.....

சேத ஸ்ரீராமம் ......

பஜரே கோபாலம்.....

பஜரே யதுநாதம்......

பஜரே ரகுவீரம்......

பிபரே ராமரஸம் ......

and songs depicting ParaBrahmam like ' பூர்ணபோதோஹம், சதானந்த
பூர்நபோதோஹம் ' , ' நித்யானந்த ரூப: சிவோஹம் சிவோஹம் ',
' சிந்தாநாஸ்தி கில ', ' ஹம்ஸ விஹாரம் ' and others.

Surely we must preserve this rich tradition which takes us to the
sublime Bliss. We can't water it down.

This has nothing to do with HareKrishna movement !

Last edited:
Radhey krishnaa
namaskaram.
dear ammanji ji;

dear ones ;

c all of u later
vittal vittal
Radhey krishnaa
more about SRI. VIJAYA GOIPALA SWAMIGALhttp://www.srisrianna.org/ann_prg_034.html
AMMANJI.

Radhey Krishnaaaa

thank u everybody writting your comments here.
as i am not a regular user of internet.i cant able to reply vary fast

dear fehu ji ;
i am very much thankful for your query.

first reply for your point on unjavarthi.
Basically the persons who were the incharge of bajan madam are used to go for unjavarthi regularly. It is not for the physical benifit of aacharya.
the unjavarthi ensures participation of all in action of devotion. it is hard to many to contribute money, but rice is a basic thing which anyone can contribute.the unjavarthi rice is the rice in which the prasadhams are prepared and re distributed among the bakthas,.the stock of unjavarthi rice must be exhausted that day itself.so pls dont say unjavarthi is for physical benifit of aacharya. sorry for the contradiction.

next:
modernisation of bajans:
The aim of bajan is only to get closer with the bagwan. all of todays mordenised music had its orgin from the carnatic and hindusthani itself.
tradition will only lasts long and not trends.
in particular to bajans "BE ORIGINAL AND BE A DEVOTEE"
MORDENISATION OF MUSIC DEGRADES THE ESSENCE OF MELODIES.THIS IS NOT A WELCOME TREND.
so may i request you to please follow the traditional way of bajans.

Dear ammanji ji ,
thank you for your help in providing the web id about vijaya gopala yathindra.

Dear vijisesh ji,
i had no details about that, if i had i will tell u .
please note that December kaccheri is not a part of bajhan.

radhey krishnaa
loga samatha sugino bhavanthu

Last edited:
Invitation -radha Kalyana Utsavam At Rasipuram

By Wish Of Lord Vittal , The Supreme Personality Of God Head,
This Year's (23rd) Radha Kalyana Mahotsava Falls On 21,22,23 -12 -2007 At Rasipuram.
Headed By :sri.sadhasiva Baagavathar ,kaatuputhur.
Schedule:
21-12-2007
Evening 7-00
Vinayagar Pooja And Chitra Prathistai:
by baagavatha sammraat sri. K.V.Sadhasiva baagavathar., kaatuputthur
22-12-07
Morning -10 00 Am
Astapathi Bajan
Evening 9 00 Pm
Navarasa Divya Nama Sankeerthanam
Dolothsavam
by
Sri. Ragurama baagavathar ,chennai
23-12-07
Morning 7 00 Am
Unjavarthi
8-30
Bajan
11 30 -1-30
Mangalya Dharanam
1 30 Aanjaneya Utsavam
2-00
Pavamannam

All Of Our Members Are Requested To Attend The Mahotsava And Get The Grace Of Sri Radha Krishna Chandra.

venue:
Sri Ayodhya
bajana madam
periya agraharam
rasipuram
location:in Namakkal District , bus no 13 from namakkal and 52 from salem
bus stop: old bus stand.

By
vittal dass
Your
M.arun,b.com ,pgdca
(radhey Krishnaa)

Looking For Ur Participation

Note: The Kaatuputthur Radha Kalyanam Will Fall On The Next Week 29,30-details Mailed Later.
The Baagavathar Of Kaatuputthur . Sri. Sadhasiva Bagavathar Is At His 97th Age Now. He is my gurunathar.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back