• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Near yet Far...

Status
Not open for further replies.
“At 11:30” – I said

“Uff.. It’s 10:15 now..” – she said “Will we be able to make it..?”

“How much time it takes..?” – I replied “It’s just 15 minutes from your office and probably 30 minutes from my office. It’s easy. We can meet over there”

“Hmm.. “ – she said “Will anyone come to know about it..?”

“Who on Monday morning goes to watch a movie..?” – I said and paused. “Except for love-birds like us”.

“What to do.. There is no time” – she said “I am really bogged down in this office-home-office cycle. We should get out of this. Theaters and parks are the only places where we can spend sometime together. From home, we can’t even talk”

“True.. I also want to “ – I said “But I think it is going to be atleast another 5-6 years before we get out of this..”

“No.. ” – she said with a stiff voice “5 years is too long. May be 2-3 years..”.

Suddenly her voice levels came down. “Wait..someone is near here, I will move to a corner and speak”

“Ok, let me wait” – I said.

It’s the usual thing for us. When we talk from our offices, suddenly a stare from a colleague or boss would make us uncomfortable. We need to pause, move out and continue.

If we have been talking for few minutes, then that would invite stares from many more people. Generally we tend to keep our conversations in the lunch-time. Still there are times when we sync-up in the morning at office times.

I had booked two film tickets for a Monday morning show. Since we could not work out a mutually acceptable time often, we go for movies on a working day. We take leave and quietly slip out of office. That way, it is very discrete and secrete.

This time the idea struck me today morning only, that too, after I reached the office. As I tried for online booking from office, I got 2 comfortable seats and I booked it without even telling her, as I had no time.

“Hmm.. I am in another place” – she continued “I can’t wait for 5 years. It is too long”

“Listen” – I said “We have responsibilities. We cannot shirk them off. So we need at least 5-6 years”

“Uff.. “ – she said “I am desperate to leave this job and get out. I can’t stand another 5-6 years in this office”

“Cmmon.. Be reasonable “ – I said “In this age of inflation and hyper-inflation we need to have some savings at least. There is no option but to continue for some time like this. When so many people want to get into a job, u want to get out..?”

“Ok..Ok.. it’s getting late. Let’s cut this call. I will apply for a leave with my boss and leave office. You should have told me Friday itself. Now I don’t know what to tell him” – she said.

“I just got two tickets online. I didn’t plan it even at home. If work is tight at office, forget the ticket and continue working. If u can manage it, then move on. Tell your boss about the migraine that his office causes to you” – I smiled.

“Boss is Ok..” – she said “What about Ramya.? If she comes to know of it, she will kill us both..?”

“Common dear” – I laughed “She will not know even. I can manage her. She loves me a lot”

“No. No. You can escape. But she will tear me into pieces if she comes to know of it” – she said. “That’s why I am counting.. Another 3 years, our responsibilities will be over”

“No … No. Ramya is only in final year studies.. It may become 5 to 6 years before we settle her down in a marriage and family..” – I said “ But one thing.. I have never seen you afraid of your 70 year old mother-in-law. But you are so much afraid of our 20 year old daughter from the day she was born..”

-TBT

TheBigThinkg Short Stories

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back