• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Idicha Kadaranga Oorugai

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi
My distant relative used to make these Idicha ooruga with naarthangai / kadarangai with technique that doesnt use any powders while preparing the pickle. The aroma and texture could be because of coarse grinding in ammikkallu causing slow release of spices especiallly those red chillies.
I see the style of preparation common near edayathu mangalam
Can anyone recollect and tell me what is the recipe? I can still smell it though it has been ages since I tasted.

hi siva,

my mother and now my sister, make narthangai without any chilies. actually i cannot get used to narthangai with chillies.

it is very simple - cut the narthangai to pieces, add salt, tumeric and fenugreek ground. the proportion depends .. say for 3 narthangais, a teaspoon of sea or coarse salt, and 1/4 tsp of fenugreek. let it sit for a month in a cool dark place. and you have the most delicious accompaniment to any thayir saadham :) :)

Salted nArttangAi

Preparation time: 30 minutes Shelf life: 1 year

The fruit is washed and cleaned as usual and then cut in the form of a spring with rings. These are placed over a little salt. The seeds can be removed or retained to be removed when using. To this, 1 tsp of turmeric powder and ½ a cup of salt are added for 4 fruits and then tossed well to enable the ingredients smear the rings homogenously.

After 3 days, only the rings are taken and dried in the sun. In the evening again they are put back in the jar in the oozed liquid. This way daily they are taken out and dried in the sun for about 7 days or till the entire contents of the jar are completely dry. Store in the jar with an air tight lid when they are completely dried.

Go to this site
Shanthi Krishnakumar's cook book: NAARTHANGAI OORUGAI (DRY) / NAARTHANGAI SALT PICKLE

Last edited:
hi siva,

my mother and now my sister, make narthangai without any chilies. actually i cannot get used to narthangai with chillies.

it is very simple - cut the narthangai to pieces, add salt, tumeric and fenugreek ground. the proportion depends .. say for 3 narthangais, a teaspoon of sea or coarse salt, and 1/4 tsp of fenugreek. let it sit for a month in a cool dark place. and you have the most delicious accompaniment to any thayir saadham :) :)

Thanks for the responses :)
Narthangai is assosiated with 3 famous recipes- narthalai podi with its leaves, narthangai surul (salted narthangai) or kaanja narthangai and regular pickle. One pickle version is made with green chillies, ginger and turmeric also called manja oorugu. The red pickle is the usual one. I am asking for the traditional red version made by pounding spices rather than add powders.

பிரண்டையின் மருத்துவ குணங்கள்.

பிரண்டையின் மருத்துவ குணங்கள் என்ன? எல்லோரும் சாப்பிடலாமா?

பிரண்டையை மேல்தோல் கணு நீக்கி, சிறு சிறு துண்டுகளாக வெட்டி, புளித்த மோரில் ஒருநாள் முழுவதும் ஊறவைத்து, மறுநாள் மைய இடித்து, வறுத்த மிளகு, சீரகம், எள், ஓமம், மல்லி, உப்பு ஆகியவற்றை சேர்த்து நன்கு அரைத்து, பட்டாணியளவு மாத்திரைகளாகவோ அல்லது உலர்த்தி, பொடியாகவோ எடுத்துக்கொள்ள வேண்டும். 1 முதல் 2 மாத்திரைகள் அல்லது 1 கிராம் பொடி தினமும் ஒரு வேளை சாப்பிட்டுவர பசி உண்டாகும். உணவு நன்கு செரிக்கும். கல்லீரல் பலப்படும். வயிற்றில் தங்கிய காற்று வெளியேறும்.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back