• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Biggest Financial Fraud of All Time

• Thread starter sankara_sharmah
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
This may not make sense to many people because it is technical. But people need to know.

Libor Lies Revealed in Rigging of $300 Trillion Benchmark - Bloomberg

Dear Shri Sharmah,

When I first came to know about this Libor during our training in Foreign exchange, I got a doubt as to how this is determined, and, as usual, a doubt whether it is reliable. But the entire Indian banking including the acknowledged godfathers of banking swore by Libor. I had a Malayali colleague who was a wizard in this area who would discuss and also teach me about FE inspections, and I voiced my doubt about the undue reliance given to libor. Even a very knowledgeable person like him(he is no more now, may his soul RIP!) brushed aside my doubt saying "the Britishers are honest and won't play tricks, like our fellows." (sāyippanmār nammeppole kaḷḷakkaḷi kāṇikkattilla).

But my doubt has come true and the culprit banks seem to be British and US banks mainly.

Sangom,

Your malayali colleague was echoing, the still prevalent view of most of india. That during british times, the man in the street, got an honest break from the government.

I consider the whole concept of foreign exchange, to be a matter of faith, since the day, when Nixon told the world, that the usa would no longer freely give out an ounce of pure gold, for 24 dollars, which was the pegged rate. This, after, de gaul of france, almost emptied the fort knox treasury, with his demand for gold, as he no longer believed the u.s. was capable of running a good financial system – what with huge welfare plans (Medicaid, medicare) and the Vietnam war.

Situation is worse today, and technically the usa dolla note should be on par with Bangladeshi taka, with the Chinese yuan on top of the heap. Indian rupee not too bad either. But right from the usa to china, nobody wants to abandon the dolla. As long as this attitude remains, the banks of London and new York, can, and will, continue to work out the rules to their favour. And profit. I think libor was only one of such tools.

Sometimes I think bartering may not be so bad. Our trade with the erstwhile ussr was barter. For an entire crop of mangoes from Andhra, in one year, we got half a dozen mig planes. The only people to get upset with those, were the chennaivasis, who were deprived of banganapalli mangoes for one full season. Today, we do have such deals with iran – in return for petroleum, india ships medicines and food – with the intermediary making huge money, since we have long past the heyday of State Trading Corporation. Incidentally STC was formed precisiely, if I remember right, for the purpose of value bartering, bypassing the whole foreign exchange shenanigans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back