• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Review of 'Cheeni Kum'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lotus_quartz

Watched 'Cheeni Kum' yesterday at Mayajaal.

Good movie, though not many Indians will easily digest the concept of 64 Yr old (Amithabh Bachchan) falling in love with 34 Yr old (Tabbu).

First half was more of comedy and second half a little drab. Big-B continues to remain heads and shoulders above all his contemporaries as well as all new generation chocolate heroes.

The movie has been made probably keeping the NRI crowd in mind.

sirs- if amitabh bachchan (or for that matter anybody else) becomes a 'rationalist', even if he has 4 wives, and even if all of them are as young as his grand daughter, people may still accept that!

You mean, you would not care less if Tabbu were not so pretty ?

So, next time any old foggy wants to fall for someone younger, should he subject his fiancee to the 'beauty test' or public opinion ? This line topples age old saying that .."Beauty lies in the eyes of beholder" .

What is you response to another old hindi/hindustani saying "..Dil laga gadhi se to pari kya cheez hai ?.." read together with yet another one ..."Mard aur ghoda kabhi boodhe nahin hote !"

How can we ? Afterall Tabu is so pretty !!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
What i meant

You mean, you would not care less if Tabbu were not so pretty ?

So, next time any old foggy wants to fall for someone younger, should he subject his fiancee to the 'beauty test' or public opinion ? This line topples age old saying that .."Beauty lies in the eyes of beholder" .

What is you response to another old hindi/hindustani saying "..Dil laga gadhi se to pari kya cheez hai ?.." read together with yet another one ..."Mard aur ghoda kabhi boodhe nahin hote !"

LQ sahab,

Firstly the "operative word" is "we" & not "me". Hence permit me to put across "my" points on a "we" perspective.

Yes, "we" wouldn't care if Tabu was less pretty - Afterall we are the biggest hypocritical nation in the world aren't we ?

We will make a huge hullabaloo over Deepa Mehta's Water but Cheeni Kum will be a roaring hit - After all this is a case of a male 'asserting' his rights isn't it ?

Yes, next time around a old foggy falls (& presumably gets up independently ?) for a PYT, the indian society retains its 'moralistic rights' of approving the relationship. Culture, my dear sir, culture

sahab, aap pari ko chodiye, khamba mein sari lapeta hua tho, uske liye bhi banda haazir hai

On a different note - my liner was understood out of context.

My (personal) opposition was on the ground that - yeh kaisa nainsafi hai ki jawan mardon ko ek bhi mouka diye bagair, saat saal ka budda ko bagair competition ke tabu mil jaye !!!!! aakhir 'social justice' bhi honi hai na ?

Agreed, in so far as use of 'we' is concerned. I missed it.

Aji laanat bhejiye mayusi ko aur safed khambe par sari lapet kar usey Mr. VV ko bataur nazrana pesh kariye. Ho sakta hai Mr. VV kuch paydaan charh saken (social ladder par).

Banda agar apne charon ore nazar daudae aur bike ko sahi direction mein more de to kamaal ko sakta hai......kabhi na kabhi, kahin na kahin, koi na koi to aayega....

Tamil CheeniKum's

Hope you all have seen these Tamil movies with the same subject:
Old hero loving young heroine.
1. Apoorva Ragangal by K.Balachander(leader of this group).
- Major SundarRajan and Jayasudha .
- with the addition of young Kamal loving old Srividya.
2. Mudhal Mariyadhai by Barathiraja.
- Shivaji Ganesan and Radha.
3. Vidukathai by Agathiyan.
- Prakash Raj and Neena.

Among these, A.Ragangal was criticised by all because it didn't suit that period of Tamil Cinema and was a Puratchi. KB always makes movies which will be accepted not during present day but after 5 to 10 years.
But having the same theme, Mudhal Mariyadhai fetched National Award.

Bechare Mr.VV

Agreed, in so far as use of 'we' is concerned. I missed it.

Aji laanat bhejiye mayusi ko aur safed khambe par sari lapet kar usey Mr. VV ko bataur nazrana pesh kariye. Ho sakta hai Mr. VV kuch paydaan charh saken (social ladder par).

Banda agar apne charon ore nazar daudae aur bike ko sahi direction mein more de to kamaal ko sakta hai......kabhi na kabhi, kahin na kahin, koi na koi to aayega....
Ha Ha :thumb:
Lagta hai Mr.VV ko mention kiye bina koi post nahin hoga, kum se kum aur ek haphtha tak.

For perverted thoughts / plots , immediately contact Tamil Film Directors or Film Directors who are Tamils! Example for case-1 is K Balachander (Apoorva Ragangal) and for case-2 is Balakrishnan (Cheeni Kum)

sirs- in 'vidukathai' & 'Mudhal mariyaadhai' old heroes fall in love with young heroines. but in 'apporva raagangal', a boy falls in love(?) with his teacher, a women elder to her by almost 10yrs.! this is not love, but perversion!

Not perversion but 'infatuation'. Such things do happen, once in a while. One can't wish them away by closing the eyes.

When coming across such situation, how about using tambraministic disdain - 'nammakka yenna vambu' ?

sirs- in 'vidukathai' & 'Mudhal mariyaadhai' old heroes fall in love with young heroines. but in 'apporva raagangal', a boy falls in love(?) with his teacher, a women elder to her by almost 10yrs.! this is not love, but perversion!

Morality police!

Ha! I see so many 'morality police' out there telling the public what they should do in their private lives!!
Hari, you are right; we are very hypocritical - take the case of Kushbu bashing - read about that when I was in Chennai.

Indian Psyche | Did you know ?

Ha! I see so many 'morality police' out there telling the public what they should do in their private lives!!
Hari, you are right; we are very hypocritical - take the case of Kushbu bashing - read about that when I was in Chennai.

SF,

The problem with Indian psyche is that we are eternally in the denial mode.

We feel that by not even discussing about 'touchy issues', by some divine intervention, the issue will cease to exist.

We have not come to terms to dealing with unnatural choices and preferences and other stigmatic issues.

I wonder with the moral police in full might how India is on the precipice of an AIDS catastrophe. Given our high moral standards, AIDS should have been atleast 14 nautical miles away from our coast.

On a different note, SF, before you bash us for bashing kushbu, kindly be informed that we have a temple for her in TN.

Your next trip to India will be so incomplete if you dont pay your obeisance with offerings of Thazhampoo & Vazhaipoo.

Wondering why ? Listen to Thalaivar's song - Kondaiyil thazhampoo........from film "Brother Mountain"

Indian psyche!

Dear Hari:
My responses/comments in red.

SF,

The problem with Indian psyche is that we are eternally in the denial mode.

We feel that by not even discussing about 'touchy issues', by some divine intervention, the issue will cease to exist.

We have not come to terms to dealing with unnatural choices and preferences and other stigmatic issues.

I wonder with the moral police in full might how India is on the precipice of an AIDS catastrophe. Given our high moral standards, AIDS should have been atleast 14 nautical miles away from our coast.

Excellent observation and a good question. I know the 'moral police' will have no answer!

On a different note, SF, before you bash us for bashing kushbu, kindly be informed that we have a temple for her in TN.

Your next trip to India will be so incomplete if you dont pay your obeisance with offerings of Thazhampoo & Vazhaipoo.

Pray tell where this temple is? (I hope you are not joking!). Thazhampoo, maybe but Vashaipoo even better!! What about thrashing some coconuts, too while I am at it!!!!

Wondering why ? Listen to Thalaivar's song - Kondaiyil thazhampoo........from film "Brother Mountain"

Hey guys!
What started this thread? Is 'Cheeni kum' a Hindi movie? It must be because it was reviewed by our resident Hindiwallah, Lotus_Quartz!! Looks like from film review, we are straddling into our 'society morality'.....

Who is Tabu? If she is such a popular actress, how come I never heard of her?

1. Cheeni Kum is a hindi/bollywood movie starring ageing Amitabh
Bachchan, Tabbu, Paresh Rawal etc.

2. Individual's morality is understandable, what would be 'society's morality' ?

3. Tabbu is one of the several among bollywood sizzlers. In this movie, she
has acted quite well. She is being advised to get her presence advertised adequately among offshore diaspora. This may lead to a stampede for seeking Indian Visa !

4. The posts of resident preacher, resident humorist, resident vegetable-wallah, resident techie, resident aristorcrat , resident elite etc. are also lying vacant. Any takers ?

Hey guys!
What started this thread? Is 'Cheeni kum' a Hindi movie? It must be because it was reviewed by our resident Hindiwallah, Lotus_Quartz!! Looks like from film review, we are straddling into our 'society morality'.....

Who is Tabu? If she is such a popular actress, how come I never heard of her?

Not perversion but 'infatuation'. Such things do happen, once in a while. One can't wish them away by closing the eyes.

When coming across such situation, how about using tambraministic disdain - 'nammakka yenna vambu' ?

sirs- if a person falls is attracted towards a person of opposite sex of same age or even younger age, that can be called infatuation. but if a man gets attaracted towards a women 10 yrs. elder to her, that is not infatuation, but perversion!

Naras:
You are absolutely without question WRONG! Lotus_quartz was right. The correct word is infatuation; not perversion!
Maybe in your mind! But please don't try to force it on other people
Lotus_quartz:
I was affectionately referring you as 'Hindiwallah'; I hope you took in the jovial spirit in which it was written! You still don't provide translation when you decide to post in Hindi!
Your comment No.4: All the posts have been taken!
When I mentioned 'society's morality' i was inferring on how some people think they are there to set the morality for the society as a whole.
You still didn't translate 'cheeni kum' for those of us who are Hindi-challenged.

Last edited:
SIRS - 'perversion ' is a behaviour considered to be deviation from orthodox or normal behaviour. a boy sexually getting attaracted to his teacher 10 yrs. elder to him is by all standards a pervert behaviour! i have no doubt about it at all. here is the link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perversion

Infatuation is described as unreasoning passion or love . here is the link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infatuation

so infatuation means normal attraction, but one which is excess in quantity, whereas perversion is behaviour way below normal.

even oxford online dictionary describes infatuation as 'temporary but intense attraction towards anything', whereas perversion is described as 'behaviour which is against established norms' . so a boy's sexual attraction towards an elder women is certainly perversion.

there is nothing wrong in moral policing, if it is done by police and is within law of the land.

Last edited:
My response was also in equal and respectful jest, please be assured.

I have always fashioned humour as an integral part of my personality. Sometimes I do miss Hari's satire , especially when it is in hardcore tamil.

If you notice closely, you will find that my recent posts in Hindi contain a special post script translating the gyst in English, for your immediate benefit !

Translating the entire movie into english would be a difficult affair, hope you understand.

Just go ahead and watch the movie, we don't fashion ourselves to be moral cops anyway.

Lotus_quartz:
I was affectionately referring you as 'Hindiwallah'; I hope you took in the jovial spirit in which it was written! You still don't provide translation when you decide to post in Hindi!
When I mentioned 'society's morality' i was inferring on how some people think they are there to set the morality for the society as a whole.
You still didn't translate 'cheeni kum' for those of us who are Hindi-challenged.

Please Publish | Shameless self appreciation

SF,

Request you to please publish the appointees to the various posts in the OTG.

OTG - Official Tambram Gazette

I do hope that members will take the appointment in the right & light spirit.

"Cheeni kum" - for your information is "less sugar". I think you referred to the title translation only, coz like LQ said literally impossible to translate the entire movie.

LQ Sahab,

I immediately request you to appoint a tamil teacher so that you can come up the curve on tamil very fast. Your presence is very much required to take forward the tamil satire.

If you find my tamil on this site to be difficult, you should read (you cant!) some of my posts in karuthu where i have just scored a half century.

I have fallen in love with myself after i figured out the kind of tamil i could write. I am already worried whether i will start doing a cleopatra, self-obssessed and bathing in asses milk was it ?

When i discussed it with my father, pat came the reply that "donkeys dont get to bathe in asses milk" tch, tch !!!

I almost feel like vairamuthu, infact started walking up and down my balcony in the mornings. Need to buy a spotless white "pyjama-kurtha" for the "effects" what say ?

Afterthought : i am wondering whether i should be asking my mom for "Kuzhambi" (not to be confused with kuzhambu) instead of coffee and "theneer" for tea.

I am also looking for suitable tamil teacher ! As you said, I need to come-up on the tamil curve fast ! Any recommendations ?

My pa is still not sure whether I have graduated from donkey category to next higher level or not. I took the liberty of informing him that I have joined this august group hoping that some effect rubs on to me and some rub on to fellow honorable members ! Ab yeh to taqdeer ki baat hai ki kiska rang kis par utarta hai. [Now it is a matter of luck whose color rubs on to whom !]

Pyjama-kurta is associated with old-foggy kind of people. True dravidian attire for balcony would be lungi folded in half, with topless outfit ! I am told that it works miracles if you are seen in it on balconies !

LQ Sahab,
I immediately request you to appoint a tamil teacher so that you can come up the curve on tamil very fast. Your presence is very much required to take forward the tamil satire.

If you find my tamil on this site to be difficult, you should read (you cant!) some of my posts in karuthu where i have just scored a half century.

I have fallen in love with myself after i figured out the kind of tamil i could write. I am already worried whether i will start doing a cleopatra, self-obssessed and bathing in asses milk was it ?

When i discussed it with my father, pat came the reply that "donkeys dont get to bathe in asses milk" tch, tch !!!

I almost feel like vairamuthu, infact started walking up and down my balcony in the mornings. Need to buy a spotless while "pyjama-kurtha" for the "effects" what say ?

Atlast found my Guru

My pa is still not sure whether I have graduated from donkey category to next higher level or not. I took the liberty of informing him that I have joined this august group hoping that some effect rubs on to me and some rub on to fellow honorable members !

LQ Sahab,

I am such a donkey who didn't realise who i am. So you are light-years ahead of me.

Lead kindly light, O ! enlightened one !
My quest for a Guru, ends here, today.

Aaap hi ho mere guru,
Der kis baat ki, aap ho jao shuru

(You are my guru, without much ado, kindly start your guidance)

Without further monkeying about donkeying, i sign off.

Right math ?

but if a man gets attaracted towards a women 10 yrs. elder to her, that is not infatuation, but perversion!

Suresh sir,

This makes Sachin Ramesh Tendulkar "Half Pervert" if 10 years = Full pervert.

Anjali Tendulkar is elder to SRT by 5 years.

Perversion vs. infatuation

Dear Suresh:

I still say you are wrong. Of course, Wikipedia, etc., defines 'perversion' but who are we to say what is perversion, what is infatuation?

This means you are calling millions of men in the US (now I see it is happening in India, too) who marry women 10+ years older than them!!

Suresh, if two adults can get together (as long as they are over 21) and do whatever they want to do ... as long as they don't hurt someone else or do illegal activities, I do not consider that anything. It is none of our business putting our noses in other peoples' affairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back