• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

How much percentage of accuracy is homam done?

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

newnewgen

Hi,
Recently I participated in homam, and I noticed the strangest thing. Almost for 10 years I had done homam at various temples of tamilnadu and in some places in karnataka.

But at this place, I found that no smoke came out from the pious agni kundam. After the completion of the homam, the swamiji explained, Every prohit who does the homam should know agni shastra. Just as a child should be fed in the mouth, not in the eyes or in the ears.
Same wise agni also has ears, eyes and nose, But the offerings to the agni should be fed only at the tongue.

If one does a homam thru a prohit who does not know agni shastra, Forget getting relief or remedy, the sponsor will end up receiving more problems after paying money to perform then homam,

Is the above one true??????

thanks
bharat

If one does a homam thru a prohit who does not know agni shastra, Forget getting relief or remedy, the sponsor will end up receiving more problems after paying money to perform then homam,

thanks
bharat

Dear Sir,

I am no expert..but logically why should there be any problem?

If going by the definition of rituals done..a Sattva Ritual is one that is done at the right place, right time and with no self interest..in other words done purely for God.

If one dedicates all the actions of the homa fully towards God and not look for fruits of it..one does not get bound by the outcome....that means "NO PROBLEMS"

I guess Lord Krishna must have known all drawbacks that might come in our day to day life hence He said 'Karmanyevadhikaraste Ma Phaleshu Kadacana"

Hi,
Recently I participated in homam, and I noticed the strangest thing. Almost for 10 years I had done homam at various temples of tamilnadu and in some places in karnataka.

But at this place, I found that no smoke came out from the pious agni kundam. After the completion of the homam, the swamiji explained, Every prohit who does the homam should know agni shastra. Just as a child should be fed in the mouth, not in the eyes or in the ears.
Same wise agni also has ears, eyes and nose, But the offerings to the agni should be fed only at the tongue.

thanks
bharat

Shri nngen,

The "homams" that we perform nowadays are vestiges of the sacrificial rites done during the ancient vedic times when animal sacrifices and making the sacrificial pyre flare up by offering the abdominal fatty layer/s (called 'vapai') of the killed animals was considered to be the high point of the sacrifice. There is no "agni shastra" mentioned in any scripture AFAIK. But it is simple commonsense that if we pour ghee or oil in the tongue/s of the flame (this can happen when the climate is dry, there is good ventilation and the fuel sticks or samits are also very dry) there will be least smoke. In the ordinary course such ideal conditions are difficult to achieve. But our Shastras prohibit giving any "aahuti" if the fire is not burning bright and aflame.

The swamiji was probably making use of the lucky chance he had and tried to boost his reputation, imo.

As to the "effectiveness" of any homam, I think any sincere chanting of the same mantra/s should be equally effective; there is no rational basis to believe that what is burned up in the homa fire reaches any god/deva. Why unnecessarily pollute the atmosphere when the government is strongly advising "smokeless chulhas" even for the rural poor?

I have participated in many Yagnas, Vaidic and Tantrik. I have attended the Homas conducted by many well known Gurus. I used to perform homas regularly at home.

I have never heard of Agni sasthra and smoke coming out is a common occurrence. More ghee and firewood is added to make the flame stronger. As sangom said you could minimize the smoke.

The effectiveness depends only on the sincerity with which the Mantras are recited. A very common occurrence among the Tamil Brahmins is the relay way of chanting. That is one Sasthirigal chants upto a point and then another continues. They stop and resume many times. This is against all Sasthras.

hi
we have smokeless firewood in USA....when we use.....no smoke at all.............there is a book called HOMA VIDHANAM....

nice explanations in tamil too....

When I said performed Homas I meant homas without any other Sasthirigals. Not many Brahmins do it themselves now. Fire management is one of the aspects of Homa which takes quite some time to master. It is learnt in Veda Patashalas and by assisting in the other homas. Students learn it by watching the Acharya and helping out.

But I do not hink there is any Sasthra about that. Smoke is a hindrance and is to be avoided.

You can not use any firewood. The wood from the Bilva tree is the most appropriate.

The other wood used are sandalwood, agar, tagar, deodar, mango, and palash.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back