• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Why am I untagged..?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I looked at him enviously.

Gopi was the only guy left out in my group. Now he is also getting married.

His wedding invitation card looked simple. I congratulated him from my lips. I made some customary enquiry on the bride. It seems she is working in some software company. It is an arranged marriage.

I turned the card sideways and upside down. I wanted to ask him somehow, how he was able to freeze on his girl. I could not freeze on one, for all these years.

I am nearing 35 now. Last 6-7 years, I have been searching for my girl. I could not land on one.

I have tried in my own ways. My parents also have been trying through their own ways. But nothing seems to be finalizing. I have not been able to land on my dream girl.

In the last five years, almost everyone in my age group, somehow landed on their partners, except me.

Every time I see a wedding invitation card, I really get irritated deep inside my heart. But, I cannot show it out. I put a façade of smile, sweet-talk and send them out.

Gopi was still sitting before me, all smiles. I am his Project Manager. 5 years senior to him. I earn almost double his salary. Gopi is a kid in every way compared to me. He is getting married. I am not.

Gopi was waiting for my response to move out of my cabin. I did not signal him. I wanted to ask him some intimate questions. I wanted to understand the method by which he decided on his girl.

I wanted to ask atleast one or two leading questions, so that I get some insight. I have talked to so many people in my age group, in my friends list, about this. I don't have any convincing answer, till now.

I have never tried talking to such young people. Today I wanted to, very desperately.

I made a quick re-cap on the events of past 6 years in my mind.

I look handsome. I have a good educational background. I earn very well. I am from a middle-class family. My sister is already married.

Then whey I have not been able to land on my dream girl.? It is not that the girls rejected me.

The truth is I have been rejecting many girls, as I could not find my match. Till this date, I have not been able to meet a girl, with whom I could think of my remaining life together.

My first attempt was six years back.

My parents showed me a photograph of a girl. She looked nice. I did not know what to expect. I nodded my head in agreement to see her.

We met in a traditional scenario in her house. I wanted to talk to her alone. When we met alone, she was not coming out forthwith. I also did not feel any excitement on seeing her. I asked her some stupid questions. She gave one line answers. She was blushing, smiling but not talking.

When I came back, I thought about it a lot. I need a girl who has to be bold. I have to get excited in her presence. This girl is docile. I refused her.

My parents thought it was a good alliance. I steadfastly rejected the alliance.

After that I rejected few girls on the photograph itself. Their photographs were not that exciting.

And one day I really found a girl's photograph exciting me. I immediately okayed it. My parents were elated.

This time I told my parents, that I would like to meet the girl alone outside, decide and then go for the traditional style of meeting. They agreed.

When I met her in a hotel, I was shocked. She was similar the girl in the photo. But, not the same. I could understand that she is the girl in the photo. But she looked different in 3 dimension.

The excitement that her 2 dimensional photograph created was absent in her 3 dimensional figure.

Many more alliances passed and then I happened to meet a girl in one of the marriages that I attended. She looked pretty and attracted me a lot.

I prayed to God, that she should not be already married. In fact she was not. She also happened to be the daughter of one of our distant relatives.

As soon as I showed that girl to my mother, she became extremely happy. Soon the families met, as already I have seen her.

I talked to her alone for few minutes during our meeting. She answered boldly, but politely. She also asked some questions to me. I answered her.

I thought for all the hardships I have undergone, God has given me an intelligent and beautiful girl. Our betrothal was fixed for the next month. I got her mobile phone number and started chatting with her.

In the course of chatting, I found that the girl and I had opposite view points on everything in life. From simple things like yoga/exercises, colors, numbers to social and political systems of our life.

She thought yoga is great. I thought Gym and aerobics are better. She thought Blue is cool. I thought orange is better. She thought living with parents is good. I thought living alone is great.

She thought friends are a small part of our life, and we do not need to involve them in every decision that we make. I thought involving everybody in our decision making, so that we can make an informed decision is the right approach.

I showed even her photograph to twenty people. 15 people said she is a good match for me. 2 people said she was too lean for me.2 people said she lacks a good figure. One person said, as we age, she may look much better than me and hence in the long run, I need to be careful.

But then I decided to go ahead. See, I always make informed decisions. But this girl told me that making such informed decisions are a stupidity.

After a month of chatting, I figured out, we will not be able to cope together. I called my parents and told them of my decision.

They cursed me like anything. The bride's side also cursed me like anything. But then, I thought it is better to suffer now than later.

After a gap of several months, my parents re-started their match-making. I also started looking out seriously, if I could find a good date myself.

That time a girl had joined our office. She looked exciting, talked boldly and politely and as we conversed, I understood we think the same way.

I started moving more closely with her. One day I proposed her. She accepted my proposal happily, but wanted me to talk to her parents after sometime. We were in love!!!!

As we were enjoying our days of love, one day I observed her eating pattern. She was eating less of chilly and spices. I used to enjoy chilly and spices a lot.

She explained that she had Jaundice when she was five years old. From that time, she was on a food of less chilly, oil and spices and had grown up in the same way.

This upset me a lot. I am a guy who dabbles in chilly, oil and spices. I advised her to change her food habits. But she was not willing. She thought it is a silly matter to discuss food habits.

I explained her the need of having similar tastes. She told me to change my food habits. But then, my food habit is a healthy one. Hers was the result of a problem.

When I insisted, she told me that doctors have advised her that if she does not avoid chilly and spices, she may get jaundice once again and in that event, her liver will get totally spoiled.

That put me off. I called off my 'love'. God saved me from a girl, who could have her liver failed anytime.

In fact I ran into several girls after that. One girl, whom I okayed to my parents was so adamant that she refused to come with me to a movie. She wanted me to take her Dad's permission. I felt silly taking permission from a dad to take his daughter to a movie. I refused to proceed with that girl.

There was also a girl I refused, as she foolishly told me that talking on cell phones for long time is a health hazard.

My parents had given me only one week's time to understand the girl. So I tried talking to her 4-6 hours a day. She did not understand it. She told me that talking long hours on cell phone is a health hazard.

I did not want to marry a girl, who is not ready to even spare 4-6 hours a day for me.

As all these thoughts were running inside my mind, Gopi's voice brought me to this world.

"Sir.. Can I leave..?" - he asked.

"Yes.. yes.." - I said. I summoned all the courage and asked that question "Gopi, have u talked to the girl. Is she a good match for you..?"

Gopi smiled back.

"Sir.. I have seen her couple of times now. She is a polio patient. But she has fought her life and succeeded. As for matching with me is concerned, this is arranged marriage Sir.." - Gopi said.

"So what, if it is arranged marriage..?" - I asked.

"Sir. People should come into arranged marriage, after understanding it completely. In arranged marriage, both the bride and groom have to accept each other with all their short-comings. There is no promise for a match. The only promise that we make is that we will not leave each other under any circumstance, in front of the sacred fire. So we need to adjust and modify ourselves according to our partners, learn to give and take and live. That is all. Is it not Sir..?" - he said.

I dumbly nodded my head.

-TBT

Last edited:

"Sir. People should come into arranged marriage, after understanding it completely. In arranged marriage, both the bride and groom have to accept each other with all their short-comings. There is no promise for a match. The only promise that we make is that we will not leave each other under any circumstance, in front of the sacred fire. So we need to adjust and modify ourselves according to our partners, learn to give and take and live. That is all. Is it not Sir..?" - he said.

-TBT

This holds good for every type of marriage be it love or arranged cos we only know a person's true nature when we start living with them either before or after marriage.

Anyway this guy in the story who is not married yet..rejects girls for real trivial reasons.

Is he looking for a mirror image of himself?

Two people who love each other need not be similar..they can be as different as night and day but as long they understand each other that is enough.

Life and marriage will be so boring if a husband and wife are a carbon copy of each other.

Variety is the spice of life.

The guy in this story could be a closet gay I feel..cos I feel he is looking for another male like him and not really a wife.

He needs to come to terms with himself..usually closet gays reject girls for real trivial reasons.

For all I know he felt jealous seeing the wedding card cos he had the hots for Gopi!LOL

Last edited:

The hero of this story reminds of one of my cousin brothers, who is a very very handsome guy. He would have been a very successful

model, but he chose to become a surgeon. When he was in his late twenties, the 'varan vEttai' started! He went on rejecting every girl,

just by seeing the photograph, with comments like, 'Her nose is too long', 'Her eyes are too small', 'Her complexion is bad', 'Her smile

irritates me', 'Her eyebrows are crooked', 'Her ears are like Gandhi kAdhu' and so on. Finally, he chose his dream girl. He almost fainted

on seeing the stunning beauty!

And....... The 'PoNNu pArkum padalam'! My cousin bro was waiting for the girl, who was supposed to come back from college at 5 p.m.

She did not turn up at the specified time! After about one hour of impatient waiting by cousin and his parents, she entered her house...
Not alone but holding the hands of her boy friend! Cousin bro fainted for the second time!!! :faint:

Unless one knows how to adjust in life, be it with siblings, parents, friends,
spouse or with any other person, it would be near impossible to lead a
happy life.

KR SUBRAHMANYAM
Secunderabad.

Dear Renuka

I donno if he had 'hots' for gopi.. But I am not sure adapting means living, experimenting and then deciding.. :)

-TBT

The hero of this story reminds of one of my cousin brothers, who is a very very handsome guy. He would have been a very successful

model, but he chose to become a surgeon. When he was in his late twenties, the 'varan vEttai' started! He went on rejecting every girl,

just by seeing the photograph, with comments like, 'Her nose is too long', 'Her eyes are too small', 'Her complexion is bad', 'Her smile

irritates me', 'Her eyebrows are crooked', 'Her ears are like Gandhi kAdhu' and so on. Finally, he chose his dream girl. He almost fainted

on seeing the stunning beauty!

And....... The 'PoNNu pArkum padalam'! My cousin bro was waiting for the girl, who was supposed to come back from college at 5 p.m.

She did not turn up at the specified time! After about one hour of impatient waiting by cousin and his parents, she entered her house...
Not alone but holding the hands of her boy friend! Cousin bro fainted for the second time!!! :faint:

Interesting story... :)

How can this be an absolute promise? What if there is adultery? Or murder? Or (God forbid) pedophilia? Or do these things not happen in an arranged marriage?

Dear Renuka

I donno if he had 'hots' for gopi.. But I am not sure adapting means living, experimenting and then deciding.. :)

-TBT

Dear Sir,

Frankly speaking what is the need to adapt in a marriage?

It is not that a tiger got married to an elephant that there is going to be serious life style changes.

I also had an arranged marriage and I have not adapted to anything and neither has my husband adapted to anything.

We humans can only be ourselves..adapting is just cock and bull.

Adapting is just another name for "to grit,grin and bear"

In a marriage we realize things about each others behavior as time goes on..so it is just like some Discovery Channel where we are discovering some new finding day in and day out.

How can this be an absolute promise? What if there is adultery? Or murder? Or (God forbid) pedophilia? Or do these things not happen in an arranged marriage?

I second that!

I have seen murderer's, adulterer's also living with their spouses happily and treating it as a phase of life. I am not advocating that one should or one should not.

In life any spouse can turn intolerable (not just pedophiles or adulterers or murderers) depends on one's tolerance limits. The issue is to set the tolerance level appropriately and grow over a period to adapt to each other.

Ofcourse it is the individual environment and decision. But once people know the concepts they are better judge of themselves.

-TBT

Dear Sir,

Frankly speaking what is the need to adapt in a marriage?

It is not that a tiger got married to an elephant that there is going to be serious life style changes.

I also had an arranged marriage and I have not adapted to anything and neither has my husband adapted to anything.

We humans can only be ourselves..adapting is just cock and bull.

Adapting is just another name for "to grit,grin and bear"

In a marriage we realize things about each others behavior as time goes on..so it is just like some Discovery Channel where we are discovering some new finding day in and day out.

Hmm.. Adapting (atleast what I meant) is definitely grit,grin and bear in the initial stages (or middle stages depending on ur experience).. But that changes your perceptions, attitudes, behaviors over a period internally and over a long period u become a different person.

That is not rocket science. Our behavior changes continuously over and life and we become different people influenced by various factors of life. A person living close to our body and mind influences us the most.

-TBT

Hmm.. Adapting (atleast what I meant) is definitely grit,grin and bear in the initial stages (or middle stages depending on ur experience).. But that changes your perceptions, attitudes, behaviors over a period internally and over a long period u become a different person.

That is not rocket science. Our behavior changes continuously over and life and we become different people influenced by various factors of life. A person living close to our body and mind influences us the most.

-TBT

So you do agree that adapting means just tolerating the other person.

That means such a marriage will suck eventually..cos why should anyone grit,grin and bear?

Most Indian marriages are just glorified Grit, Grin and Bear! but most people do not want to admit it.

I remember having a conversation with an old man who is related to me through marriage.

He once told me that his late wife was not an easy person to live with cos she was fussy, moody and dominating and he went on saying he has no idea how he stayed for so many years in his marriage.

So I told him(this old man was quite a looker when he was young..handsome to look at).

"Then why didn't you have someone on the side so that you would have been less stressed"

Then he said "If I had another woman on the side I would have to pay that woman attention too so that means its extra attention I have to pay..and I rather pay all that extra attention to my wife cos when you marry someone we marry their faults too"

Then I told him "in that case..don't complain about her faults...since you are supposed to love her faults too"

So you see some people are actually hopelessly dependent on their spouses but deep down inside they might not be too happy with their marriage.

Staying with someone in a marriage could be a dependency like how one craves Marijuana/Alcohol etc but one need not be in love with them.

Just like an alcoholic is dependent on alcohol but not in love with it.

So you do agree that adapting means just tolerating the other person.

That means such a marriage will suck eventually..cos why should anyone grit,grin and bear?

Most Indian marriages are just glorified Grit, Grin and Bear! but most people do not want to admit it.

I remember having a conversation with an old man who is related to me through marriage.

He once told me that his late wife was not an easy person to live with cos she was fussy, moody and dominating and he went on saying he has no idea how he stayed for so many years in his marriage.

So I told him(this old man was quite a looker when he was young..handsome to look at).

"Then why didn't you have someone on the side so that you would have been less stressed"

Then he said "If I had another woman on the side I would have to pay that woman attention too so that means its extra attention I have to pay..and I rather pay all that extra attention to my wife cos when you marry someone we marry their faults too"

Then I told him "in that case..don't complain about her faults...since you are supposed to love her faults too"

So you see some people are actually hopelessly dependent on their spouses but deep down inside they might not be too happy with their marriage.

Staying with someone in a marriage could be a dependency like how one craves Marijuana/Alcohol etc but one need not be in love with them.

Just like an alcoholic is dependent on alcohol but not in love with it.

No Renuka Mam.. u did not get it fully. As i wrote clearly, adapting definitely starts or becomes in the middle (atleast for some people) as grit, grin, bear etc.. But that itself is NOT adapting. If u stop with that, it would definitely suck. Over a period u change ur views and perceptions and start enjoying the very thing u did not like at first..

Marriage should not be ONLY about growing with each other.. It also becomes Growing in each other, as u proceed..

-TBT

No Renuka Mam.. u did not get it fully. As i wrote clearly, adapting definitely starts or becomes in the middle (atleast for some people) as grit, grin, bear etc.. But that itself is NOT adapting. If u stop with that, it would definitely suck. Over a period u change ur views and perceptions and start enjoying the very thing u did not like at first..

Marriage should not be ONLY about growing with each other.. It also becomes Growing in each other, as u proceed..

-TBT

Well you have just described Stockholm Syndrome!

Not really.. I am talking about sweet home syndrome..

:)

-TBT

I am starting to wonder if marriage causes a variant form of Stockholm Syndrome.

Marriage in a way is like a captor/victim relationship.
Both husband and wife are playing roles of captors and victims simultaneously.

It all starts when a person captures our heart and then when marriage sets in we realize that we eventualy have positive feelings, sympathy, empathy for our spouses..what looked like a defective behavior of them which we could not tolerate at times finally we grow to get used to it or some idiots even start liking it!LOL

Then as time goes on ..one becomes too depend on the other person and gets withdrawals even at the thought of not being with the person.

I feel marriage is just psychological bonding and it causes strong emotional connection just like how a captor and victim in Stockholm Syndrome.

So that means that those of us who are married are nothing but a bunch of Psychos!LOL

This post of mine is not medically proven.
Just some random thoughts that might be proven one day.

Last edited:
I am starting to wonder if marriage causes a variant form of Stockholm Syndrome.

Marriage in a way is like a captor/victim relationship.
Both husband and wife are playing roles of captors and victims simultaneously.

It all starts when a person captures our heart and then when marriage sets in we realize that we eventualy have positive feelings, sympathy, empathy for our spouses..what looked like a defective behavior of them which we could not tolerate at times finally we grow to get used to it or some idiots even start liking it!LOL

Then as time goes on ..one becomes too depend on the other person and gets withdrawals even at the thought of not being with the person.

I feel marriage is just psychological bonding and it causes strong emotional connection just like how a captor and victim in Stockholm Syndrome.

So that means that those of us who are married are nothing but a bunch of Psychos!LOL

This post of mine is not medically proven.
Just some random thoughts that might be proven one day.

hmmm.. Marriage is a physical and psychological bonding for sure. But man bonds psychologically with kids, parents, friends, relatives etc.. And in each of these relationships someone is a captor, someone is a victim depending on the time and environment..

And in these bondings, it is utopia to think only positive emotions are transacted. It is going to be both positive and negative emotions that are transacted.

So all the world and its beings are to be classified as psychos..

But then I think u should learn how to enjoy...

TheBigThinkg Poems: Learn to Enjoy

-TBT

So all the world and its beings are to be classified as psychos..

-TBT

Yes..you are right.

That is the disease of existence(Bhava Roginaam)

BTW why did you choose BigThinkg as a pen name in your blogs.

Just curious..

Last edited:
Yes..you are right.

That is the disease of existence(Bhava Roginaam)

BTW why did you choose BigThinkg as a pen name in your blogs.

Just curious..

Actually I did not choose it. The name chose me. It all happened by a mistake and before I could realize it, my first blog was made. So I decided to stick to it, as i am an idiot (those who enjoy their marriages according to you) and psycho (according to your definition of people who adapt) .. :)

-TBT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back