• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

the sanskrit mantras in tamil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Normally we do chant mantras without knowing the meaning in our regional i.e., tamil language. So , we chant for the sake of chanting. Would it be more normal if a person knows the meaning so that he understands the actual meaning though appeared to be something eternal. Is there any site, dealing with aspect.

Dear Sir,

These days there are enough data available to know about meaning of the chants.
One can walk into any book store and look for such books.

It is always better to know the meaning of what we are reciting for KNOWLEDGE purposes so that when we explain to our children they will understand the significance of every mantra and not just memorize it without understanding.

But we should not also forget Bhakti cos Bhakti always over rides Vibhakti in most cases.

I feel if someone really want to know the meaning he/she should make an effort to find out the meaning or take the effort to learn Sanskrit.

It is never to late to start learning Sanskrit.

In fact it is actually good for the brain too cos there was study done that showed that it activates both sides of the Brain.

Normally we do chant mantras without knowing the meaning in our regional i.e., tamil language. So , we chant for the sake of chanting. Would it be more normal if a person knows the meaning so that he understands the actual meaning though appeared to be something eternal. Is there any site, dealing with aspect.

Dear Shri raju 14554,

There is a certain kind of belief, among some sections of the people, that only if a pooja or homam, etc., is performed with mantras uttered in sanskrit, it will have the full desired effect. The notion that the gods (devas) will listen only to prayers recited in the deva bhaasha or sanskrit, goes to support this (erroneous) belief.

If Gods are really superhuman, they should be able to understand our prayers and complaints expressed in any language which the ordinary humans know. Based on this reasoning one can replace the mantras in sanskrit with suitable prayer verses in Tamil; in fact, I will say one need not go even to that extent; please tell your complaints and/or wishes to your God in your ordinary Tamil spoken in the house.

By translating all our mantras in sanskrit into equivalent chantings in Tamil, we may not achieve anything significant, imo. And I don't think there is any site doing this. But one Shri P.P. Ramchander who has translated many stotras into English, but I don't know the url.

According to Swami Paramarthananda ( this is from a talk of his ) - in Vedas there are 2 types of Mantras - Type -1 where Shabda Pramana ( i.e Vibratory Power ) is important and Type-2 where Artha Pramana ( i.e Meaning ) is important .
In Veda Purva i.e the Ritualistic Portion Type -1 Mantras are used and in Vedanta i.e the Knowledge portion Type-2 Mantras are used .

But it is not as though for Type -1 Mantras there is no meaning . It does have a meaning but for Common Man it is enough he learns to chant it properly with the right pronunciation after learning it from a proper Guru . Eg Sri Rudram - many people chant it and but people say never chant it without getting the right training from a proper Vedic Teacher as wrong Chanting is dangerous and many people have had negative effects of wrong chanting of Veda Mantras even with good intention . But Sri Rudram is also called as Rudro Upanishat and Swami Daynanda has given a detailed commentary on the same .
Aurobinda has written books on the secret of Rig Veda Mantras .
So in essence : Remember which Mantra Type it comes in i.e Type-1 , Type-2 and follow accordingly

Hi, Veterans,
My simple question is : is there any site which could give the meaning of rituals of sanskrit manthras, like amavasya tharpanam, etc.etc. The meaning if it is not known then it is done for the sake of the ritual. Words like mayosrishtai, kusodhagai...without knowing the meaning if it is uttered even by guidance will not give a satisfaction if you chant with knowing the meaning. I do not agree with the chanting of mantras without knowing the meaning in your regional language. Nowadays, all the rituals are if done in this way then it is like doing pooja without actual prayer. Meanwhile, i am surfing the net for sites in tamil for this. Learing of sanskrit is a good thing, but atleast the meaning of those sanskrit mantras if available in tamil would be welcome, as the person who chants know the exact and equal meaning of those chants. Thank you

Sanskrit mantras meaning in tamil

Hi, Veterans,
My simple question is : is there any site which could give the meaning of rituals of sanskrit manthras, like amavasya tharpanam, etc.etc. The meaning if it is not known then it is done for the sake of the ritual. Words like mayosrishtai, kusodhagai...without knowing the meaning if it is uttered even by guidance will not give a satisfaction if you chant with knowing the meaning. I do not agree with the chanting of mantras without knowing the meaning in your regional language. Nowadays, all the rituals are if done in this way then it is like doing pooja without actual prayer. Meanwhile, i am surfing the net for sites in tamil for this. Learing of sanskrit is a good thing, but atleast the meaning of those sanskrit mantras if available in tamil would be welcome, as the person who chants know the exact and equal meaning of those chants. Thank you

No body has either replied to my post, Do this mean that lack of knowledge of veterans or un interest in the thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back