• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Love grains..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wrote this several years back

“No pa.., I won’t accept that. No matter what you argue, I am not going to accept it”- Ramya said.

“Well.. that’s your choice. But I am telling you the truth” –I said.

“I definitely think true love exists. True love is one which once you engage in it, you won’t even look at others, apart from your partner. And it is for life.” – Ramya said.

“You don’t have the age and experience to talk like that Ramya” – I said.

Ramya is my daughter. She is 15 years old. We were sitting in a hotel and having dinner, when the conversation got struck on true love. It was Feb. 14[SUP]th[/SUP], Valentine’s day and hence the conversation had veered towards love and true love.

I was commenting on love and true love. I told her while love is to be celebrated, it does not come out of a rose or a moment of fascination.

I had told her that true love requires hard-work, time, understanding, adapting to each other and most important of all an external force called culture and value systems that makes people stick together for some time, giving them time and space to adapt to each other. Even with all this, I had told her, it depends on self-control of each individual not to go astray and out of bonding.

She refuted it. She was of the view that there is something definitely like true love which makes people stick together from first instant till their last breath. In particular, once they are committed, true love makes them committed to each other. If people split that means they do not have true love.

The witnesses were my wife and little son to this strange, but heated conversation.

“Do you mean to say that you are exercising self-control to be in relationship with Amma” – she asked me, after some silence.

I did not expect it. Anyway I have gotten into a debate. I have to close it.

“Well.. I won’t say exactly that. But yes, there could be times, when mind wanders. At that time, I exercise self-control to ensure that I am faithful to my wife and kids. I value this relationship. If I am a person without self-control, probably I may be committing mistakes” – I said.

“So you don’t have true love towards Amma. Your mind wanders and you control yourself. It is out of compulsion of external systems that you are living with us. Otherwise you will go away. Is that what you mean..?”- she asked.

I looked at my wife’s face. My wife of fifteen years, doting, caring, standing like a rock behind me for all these fifteen years was keenly looking at me. I could see a sense of shock, disbelief and some confusion in her face.

“See Ramya, I know you have grown old and you understand people’s mentality. I did not say I loaf around looking for opportunities to go astray. But one thing we all need to understand is, that in this world, everything is designed or shaped towards evolution of higher intelligent beings. And in that process, males get placed with mentality of seeking around, while females get placed with mentality of staying the ground. This is the current path, that has helped us evolve till now, from plants to animals to human beings. I don’t know what future holds, but this is the current path” – I said.

“So you are justifying your diversionary tendencies saying that it is males mentality. And you are imposing faithfulness on your wife in the name of female’s evolutionary path. Is it not..?” –Ramya asked.

“No.. I have never seen a woman in my life other than my wife, your mother. I am true and will always be true. I just said, as a male, there are times, I needed to exercise self-control. That is all. The testosterone levels in a male are not controlled by brain. Isn’t it..? It is natural. Such testosterone induced emotions needed to be controlled by our mental conditioning.” – I said.

I could see I have landed myself in a bigger soup. My wife’s face had become red with anger. She did not intervene. But I could sense her emotion.

“So now you are justifying your diversions based on male physiology. I never thought you would be so low..?” – said Ramya.

“No.. No.. That’s not what I meant. How to put it to you..?” – I shut my mouth for sometime to collect my thoughts once again.

“Do you know, who she is to me first..?” – I asked Ramya pointing at my wife.

“Your innocent wife, who believed that you are true to her, who did not know that you have emotions for other women” – said Ramya sarcastically.

“No.. First she is my friend of fifteen years. You know she is my first friend and best friend. I share everything with her, including everything I write. She is my only best friend. After that she is my love. After that she is my wife.” – As I said that I looked at my wife. “Our love is based on our friendship. Do you understand..? And that friendship is based on the hard-work we have put into our relationship all these years. Do you understand..? This is what I meant.”

Yeah. It clicked. My wife’s face became bright. She liked it very much. I thought I crossed one hurdle.

“You know Ramya.. Your appa is right in some ways. Males are like that. They get easily distracted and diverted in anything. That is by nature. Only if they have self-control, they can maintain a relationship” – My wife supported me. “But only now, I understand you appa is also like any other person.” – she said with a bit of disappointment in her voice.

I kept quite.

"Appa, how much more time it will take...? See those people. Their ice-creams are mouth-watering..? I am feeling hungrier.." - said Ramya.

"Is it correct to drool at the food of others Ramya..?" - I asked.

"C'mmon dad.. I don't control it.." - said Ramya. "If you look at tasty food, mouth will water"

"Then what prevents you from taking it and eating it..?" - I asked "from their plate".

"If I am a jarawah tribe, I would have definitely done it. But I have grown in a city. I know manners" - said Ramya.

"That is self-control Ramya" - I said "Shall we also order ice-creams after our food..?"

"Hmm.. Not today appa.. I know.. Kanna is just recovering from cold and fever. If we have ice-creams, he will also get tempted. So we have to have it some other time. But let us start the food first" - said Ramya.

"Ramya, this self-control, this understanding and adapting to each other is what is love. Love is not a flower that blooms in the night and fades in the morning. True Love is like a grain. Like the paddy plant that comes out after months of hard-work, friendship grows in our mind, through years of hardwork. Like the grain that comes out when plant matures, love comes out only when friendship matures. In between lot of control, restraint and hardwork is needed to ensure that friendship grows in our mind. It doesn't just come in a day.."- I said

"I won't listen to your lecture" -said Ramya "I want food. Tell me about food."

“OK.."- I said."I will tell you about food.There is nothing like a true love that is born innate. There is a physical attraction that is born innate. This physical attraction is like the raw and fresh salad, that we start with, in our dinner. From that we will have to move onto true and close friendship, like we move on to starters and the main course. Like the starters and main course, true and close friendship will happen only when it is cooked for adequate time. And then comes the love, which is the desserts/ice-creams. This is the course of a real fullfilling, hunger-satisfying dinner"

“Stop it " - said Ramya "Why can't we have only ice-creams every time and feel full-filling and hunger-satisfied every time we take them..?"

-TBT

Very nice post, Shri.TBT..

Thank you for sharing this with all of us here.

I enjoyed reading it and I loved it. Needles to say, I fully accept the Dad's conversation with his daughter.

“You know Ramya.. Your appa is right in some ways. Males are like that. They get easily distracted and diverted in anything. That is by nature. Only if they have self-control, they can maintain a relationship” –

-TBT

LOL! This is what all males thinks..they have no idea that a female's mind is not different...it is just that a female is discreet!

The Devil tempts both males and females..well anyway it was Eve who got tempted first and the rest is history!

Both males and females need to exert self control to maintain a relationship.

Men just try to make themselves feel more secure by imagining that a male strays but a female stays!Ha Ha Ha

Last edited:

“OK.."- I said."I will tell you about food.There is nothing like a true love that is born innate. There is a physical attraction that is born innate. This physical attraction is like the raw and fresh salad, that we start with, in our dinner. From that we will have to move onto true and close friendship, like we move on to starters and the main course. Like the starters and main course, true and close friendship will happen only when it is cooked for adequate time. And then comes the love, which is the desserts/ice-creams. This is the course of a real fullfilling, hunger-satisfying dinner"

-TBT

Dear Sir,

This type of menu is a western menu.

We Indians have Thali meals most of the while on an stainless steel plate.

So in Indian method of eating..all types of food are mixed together and the fingers become a Mixie Machine and food is put into the mouth..no such thing as starter raw salad, main course, dessert etc..

Everything is mixed and chewed and then eaten...the plate is stainless steel..takes in dents after many years of marriage..that some plates become dysfunctional but still used to eat cos people get used to the idea that marriage should last forever.

Last edited:
OK ..the next day Ramya asks her mum.

"Amma aren't you even angry what Appa said about the male and their testosterone and they need extra effort to stay in marriage"

Amma replied "Nope..why should I get mad?"

Ramya says "Amma but how can you be so calm and composed when Appa is talking as if all men are hormonal ruled creatures and we females stay like a dog waiting for a biscuit and he brags as if he is the only male in this whole wide world that has self control!"

"Appa should not do this Ok..he is ruining my faith in men! I might be scared to marry. What if I get an unfaithful husband"..Ramya starts to cry.

Amma consoles her and tells her.."Hey Ramya..you really believe your Appa? Have you seen the movie Autograph by Cheran? Who do you think Cheran based that story on?"

Ramya "Who Amma?"

Amma replies 'Your Appa! Your Appa used to be a close friend of Cheran..so Cheran wrote that story based on your Appa's escapades with all the ex girlfriends.Why do you think my face turned red at the dinner table that night? I was thinking that your Appa is a reel maker..900 Chuhe Khake Billi Haj Ko Chali case and he was acting as if he has never laid eyes on any female before"

Ramya was surprised and said "Really? Then why is Appa lying that he is an Uttaman?"

Amma speaks lovingly to Ramya" You see guys are like this dear..once they get married and have a daughter they will be afraid in case some guy flirts with their daughter just like how they did with other people's daughters and they build up stories that they are Uttamans so that the daughter would look for a father figure type of decent guy"

Ramya feels better now and asks her Amma "Amma did you have any boyfriend?"

Amma replies "Sure I did"

Ramya asked "was it true love?"

Amma said "wait let me check my lap top..I have saved all my ex boyfriend's names and details in one document..I can't remember whom I loved and who was time pass"

Ramya faints!

Last edited:
Males or Females all are mere Human Beings, no matter to which gender they belongs to.

If a Mother/Wife converse, she will tell the same thing as the father told in the story of the OP, if and only if she believes in the same.

Individuals are always individuals till their death with all vivid thoughts, imaginations, desires, perceptions, priorities etc..etc..Many of which are of their own and many being shared by others and being accepted . They are just tied up in a relationship to achieve a desired living style. And in this sort of "life of relationship and family", the sense of control applies both to Men and Women.

LOL! This is what all males thinks..they have no idea that a female's mind is not different...it is just that a female is discreet!

The Devil tempts both males and females..well anyway it was Eve who got tempted first and the rest is history!

Both males and females need to exert self control to maintain a relationship.

Men just try to make themselves feel more secure by imagining that a male strays but a female stays!Ha Ha Ha

Well, the core message of this is about love. It is not about Male strays or female strays. Anyone can stray.

As u wrote, may be it is written from a male view-point.

But what is the take-away here..?

Love is the result of hardwork, that is put in a friendship and blossoms on top of it.

Hope u got that.

-TBT

Dear Sir,

This type of menu is a western menu.

So in Indian method of eating..all types of food are mixed together and the fingers become a Mixie Machine and food is put into the mouth..no such thing as starter raw salad, main course, dessert etc..

Everything is mixed and chewed and then eaten...the plate is stainless steel..takes in dents after many years of marriage..that some plates become dysfunctional but still used to eat cos people get used to the idea that marriage should last forever.

Well Not really.

Indian food is also much more organized. Look at TamBrahm food. It is served in very particular ways, where dhal, payasam, vegetables, rice, pacchadi etc are all kept at proper places on the banana leaf and are taken in a particular order. WE have a more solid order than the western food and ways in which food has to be eaten.

Then there is parisecanam, prana-ahuti etc before and after food, which proclaims food being offered to body is also a Yajna. And by eating we are actually performing a sacrifice, which reminds us to do it with devotion, very sincerely and focussedly.

The Banana leaf itself may be thrown out, but the satisfaction and taste of that food lingers on forever.

Our marriages need to be like that. We need to do it sincerely and focussedly, with devotion and in the order that is specified.

As in a marriage, in-between some food will taste bitter, some salty, some sour. There could be stones grinding in the teeth at times. We may have to wave our hands to keep the flies off from the plate. There is some work to be done for sure.

But when we finish it, there is an overall pleasure and satisfaction. And it gets better with time..

-TBT

Well Not really.

Indian food is also much more organized. Look at TamBrahm food. It is served in very particular ways, where dhal, payasam, vegetables, rice, pacchadi etc are all kept at proper places on the banana leaf and are taken in a particular order. WE have a more solid order than the western food and ways in which food has to be eaten.

Then there is parisecanam, prana-ahuti etc before and after food, which proclaims food being offered to body is also a Yajna. And by eating we are actually performing a sacrifice, which reminds us to do it with devotion, very sincerely and focussedly.

The Banana leaf itself may be thrown out, but the satisfaction and taste of that food lingers on forever.

Our marriages need to be like that. We need to do it sincerely and focussedly, with devotion and in the order that is specified.

As in a marriage, in-between some food will taste bitter, some salty, some sour. There could be stones grinding in the teeth at times. We may have to wave our hands to keep the flies off from the plate. There is some work to be done for sure.

But when we finish it, there is an overall pleasure and satisfaction. And it gets better with time..

-TBT

Dear BigthingJi,

That's what I wrote..Thali Meal..each side dish kept in some Katori.
It looks organized to start with but later it becomes all a mixing job!

So you see marriage also looks organized to start with and as time goes on when mixing of emotions take place it can end up in a mess and just as you rightly said..like the Banana leaf it can be discarded too!

I feel many marriages stand the test of time out of compulsion and society and not becos of all this cock and bull of love and friendship.

Some marriages are on solid ground just as you have described but majority of marriages are just surviving becos of a high degree of tolerance.

Hey BTW in all your posts so far I see that :

1)You do not drink
2)You do not smoke
3)You are Eka Patni Vrta(from this thread)

What else so called good habits you have?LOL

Dear BigthingJi,

That's what I wrote..Thali Meal..each side dish kept in some Katori.
It looks organized to start with but later it becomes all a mixing job!

So you see marriage also looks organized to start with and as time goes on when mixing of emotions take place it can end up in a mess and just as you rightly said..like the Banana leaf it can be discarded too!

I feel many marriages stand the test of time out of compulsion and society and not becos of all this cock and bull of love and friendship.

Some marriages are on solid ground just as you have described but majority of marriages are just surviving becos of a high degree of tolerance.

Hey BTW in all your posts so far I see that :

1)You do not drink
2)You do not smoke
3)You are Eka Patni Vrta(from this thread)

What else so called good habits you have?LOL

Mam, in India, when I go out, I tolerate bus conductors, rash drivers, stinking garbage on street, corrupt government officials, corrupt businessmen involving in malpractices, people who spit and urinate on road etc etc etc..

All over the world I see intolerant, self-centric people whom I have to work with in rat-race of businesses. Now-a-days I see lot of americans not patient to wait in a signal and jumping them with impunity. I work with so many people across the world and I tolerate all of them for some reason or other..

When I tolerate so many people, what is the harm in tolerating my dear beloved wife, who looks after my every need in life and develop a liking for whoever she is (and vice-versa to her tolerance of me)..?

That tolerance only, in my view, over a period leads to adaptation and from there friendship and love. Tolerance becomes difficult when we have lot of expectations.

Whatever u mentioned as my qualities is the default qualities of so many middle-class citizens in India, irrespective of caste. There is nothing special about them..

-TBT

Whatever u mentioned as my qualities is the default qualities of so many middle-class citizens in India, irrespective of caste. There is nothing special about them..

-TBT

Dear Sir,

We can not assume that these same qualities you have are the default qualities of everyone else too cos some people might actually desire something else but the situation they are presently in might not be too conducive for their desires to grow.

We have no idea what goes on in their mind!

It is somewhat like the seeds and rain story you wrote in some other thread.

Some people might outwardly appear Ek Patni Vrat/Non Drinking goody goody sorts but once they are in fertile grounds their seeds of inner desires might grow.

There are many types of "Good" individuals:

1)The Apparent Good cos they never got a chance to be bad

2)The Temporary Good..those who have been bad before and are now good for while cos resources are down and less..like some Don lying low cos right hand men and back up men have been killed by police encounters.
Once he gets a chance again he will rise like a Phoenix and be his old self again!

3)The Jekyll and Hyde Good types.

Some have multiple facets of personality..when they are good,.they are really good and when they are bad they are terrible!
So it all depends which phase you found them in.

4)The Insane.

Some are insanely good cos they are not aware that bad is an option!

5)The Really Good.

Some are really good cos they have overcome temptation in their previous birth and are currently in Sattva mode but it does come with drawbacks cos these types tend to be harshly judgmental and even Sattva binds.

6)The Jeevan Mukta..who is beyond Good and Bad.

Last edited:
More difficult when banana leaf replaces thali especially after long exposure to thali. To hold and contain everything in the designated area is itself a big test of physical skill, alacrity and anticipation.

Now I understand why exposure to permissive west makes even eating in the traditional way becomes an ordeal.

Dear Sir,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back