• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Secrets of Buying on Line

Do you find the information provided here useful?

• Somewhat useful

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sankara_sharmah

Most of us would have bought things on line.

I have started this thread to share my experiences about Buying on Line and some information about the various vendors which some of you may not be aware of.

Please do not post links about How do it and precautions to be taken while buying on line.

Amazon: I have been a regular buyers on amazon.com for years. Mainly Books. There are many books available on Amazon which you do not get in India.
The only problem is cost of Shipping which is very high.

Bunch your purchase so that you can avail FREE Super Saver Shipping. Above $25.

The best way is to send it to some relatives in U.S and ask them to bring it when they come to India or send it through somebody coming to India.

amazon accepts Indian credit cards. So you do not have a problem paying.

The best part of buying from Amazon is the availability of second hand books. Most of these are Remaindered books bought by some on line stores. I have bought a book which cost $0.01. Yes. One cent. +$3.99 for shipping. These books are sold by Merchant establishments affiliated to amazon.

Most of them are as good as new. But check the description carefully. Real old books are also sold. Torn cover, Underlining etc.

There are a large number of books on various aspects of Hinduism. I have bought only Books on Hinduism so far. These are very often not even available in India.

I will show you an example of how amazon's discount is amazing.

See this

Amazon.com: Buying Choices: Devi Volume 1: Namaha (v. 1)

The cost about $5 Rs.300 Max

The same book is being sold on Flipkart

Devi Volume 1 1934413003: Book: Samit Basu (9781934413005) | Flipkart.com

Rs.1061

Three times the price in U.S.

The book was published in India by Virgin Comics which has closed down.

Just now saw their Buy Back program. May be available only for some books. Still good.

BTW Devi is part of the Indian comic series published by Virgin Comics in 2007. There are other comic books in the series available on Amazon. Surprising.

Thread discontinued. There is no response. Feel like a fool posting here.

Hello sir,gud morning.I happen to come across your thread now. sir its pretty good:thumb:. do not get disappointed ,as there are many reasons for our forum members not responding ,vacation,eve,new year gala,so do not come to conclusion.its very practical & useful for all of us.:nod:

Safely Banking on Line

Hello sir,gud morning.I happen to come across your thread now. sir its pretty good:thumb:. do not get disappointed ,as there are many reasons for our forum members not responding ,vacation,eve,new year gala,so do not come to conclusion.its very practical & useful for all of us.:nod:

Thank You.

Before I continue about Purchase on line, I would like to post some ways safely Banking on Line.

1. Password: Get a random password generated. 8 to 9 letters.

I use this site.

Security Guide for Windows - Random Password Generator

Include punctuation also.

Some banks have their own password generator.

2. Use the Virtual Key Board for entering the password. There are software programs which can record the keystrokes of your computer and send it to other sites.

3. Use the high security option. This is available in State Bank group of Banks. I do not know about other banks.

In this a password is generated and sent to your mobile phone. You have to enter this password and confirm the transaction.

4. Banks never send any email asking for your account details. If you receive any such mail it is definitely a scam.

Buying on EBay India

I am a Buyer as well as a Seller on EBay. Ebay conducted workshops for sellers all over India some years back.

Buying tips on EBay

1. Search the itm you want in All the categories. Many items get listed in more than one category becuse the seller has not chosen the correct category or the item could fall under two or more categories.

By choosing All categories you can find out the lowest price for the item. It does happen that you purchase an item in one category and find out later that the same time is listed at a lower price in a different category.

2. Know exactly what you are buying. Check the description of the product to find out whether it is the product you want. It is like the old story which goes as under:

There was an advertisemnt for a Pen which does not require Ink. A customer bought the product. What he got was a Pencil.

Even when you have checked the description there is a chance of getting a product which does not meet the specifications. I had bought once a Surge Sppressor cum extension chord. But when I received the item I found that it was only an extension chord without surge suppressor. I complaind against the seller for wrong decription. But nothing came of it.

3. Always choose Paisapay for payment. It gives you additional protection. They do not pay the seller till the buyer acknowledges receipt of the item.

4. Paisepay send you email offering discounts. If you are not in a hurry to buy any item, wait till you get these discount offers.

5. Window Shopping on Eay: I do this sometimes. It could be exciting. I buy things which I do not really need. Sometimes gadgets which do not work like the "Electronic mosquito Killer." I have also discovered and bought useful items.

Keep a limit for these purchases so that you do not regret if the item turns out to be useless.

FlipKart and other on line Sites

Flipkart, shopping.indiatimes.com, snapdeal and many other sites offer products on line. To find the lowest price you could use these sites

Compare Latest TATA Water Purifiers, Online Price, Ratings, Specifications - Compare India

Tata Swach Lavita Price in India, Reviews 2012 - Price in Bangalore, Delhi, Mumbai

Junglee.com: Kent Grand Plus Water Purifier

I have given a real life example for buying a water filter.

You can go to these sites and find the lowest price for a giuven product.

The strategy I adopt is

1. Find the lowest price on the net.

2. Check the price at your local dealer. He may match the price. Sometimes it is even lower.

Most of these sites including Flipkart do not stock goods. They procure the goods after you place the order and ship it to you. Sometimes they do have some pf the popular goods in stock. Then it is shipped immediately. But then if you order some little known book on flipkart, they import the book and send it to you. So you should be prepared for a time delay. It also happens that at times that they are not able to procure the goods. You get a phone call from them telling you that the product is not available.

As I said earlier you should know what you are buying before you order.

If it is not a well known site, check whether they have a brick and mortar (physical) address. And also google the name of the site with the words complaints to check whether there are any complaints against them.

While buying clothes, slippers etc. You should make sure about the size. There are British standards, American standards and now a Euro standard. These sites are a great resource for sending Gifts. I use them often for that.

It is better to avoid buying dress material since you will not know the feel of the material and descriptions are not standard.

Please post your queries if any.

Getting SMS Alerts for ATM/Credit Card transactions

The Banks and Credit Card companies have an option by which every time there is a transaction you would get a SMS alert on your mobile.

This is a fraud prevention feature.

It is very useful when you have addon cards and additional ATM cards in the names of family members.

Good stuff, Mr. PJ.

Perhaps you can explore buying ebooks as well (if you have access to an e-reader). That obviates the need for shipping.

Good stuff, Mr. PJ. Perhaps you can explore buying ebooks as well (if you have access to an e-reader). That obviates the need for shipping.

What is that? :pout: :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
In the last few years a number of sites have included trading in computer parts as a part of their service.

Bazaar

This the Bazar section of the Digit magazine's Forum. You can list your computer component in the sale section. There are rules for listing. Please go through the rules. You have to register and the post. The final deal is done directly between the members.

You could also buy in this bazaar.

Bazaar

This is the Bazaar section of Erodov.com a leading technology forum from India.

These two sites are meant specifically for computer components. Audio components can also be sold/bought.

You can also Buy computer components from these forums at a fraction of their cost.

These sites do not offer any guarantee. They do have a system for grading members.

But in these sites the rule is caveat emptor

caveat emptor legal definition of caveat emptor. caveat emptor synonyms by the Free Online Law Dictionary.

Before you post a product for sale you should have an idea of its value. Please go through these forums and find out at what price the others are selling it.

Things may not sell easily. I was trying to sell my old 17" CRT monitor. No one came through. Later I sold it to a local dealer. At the same time I was able to sell my old DDR2 RAM. I have bought some cables also through these sites.

If you want any component in particular you can post in the Wanted forum.

I have added a poll to find the usefulness of the information provided here. Please Vote.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back