• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

ayusya homam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Puzhavai... i contacted a vadhyar for my son's ayush homam and he quoted about 8k. Am not sure if this is high/low, but he is our family vadhiyar. btw, what was the sambhavanai you offerred?

​Friends,Iwould like to know the Vadhyar Dakshinai for a simple Ayusya Homam.
Our Vadhyar said,he will b the main priest,4 others will chant mantras,1008 times,each wil have to b paid 1500.,his dakshina separate,as we please,plus an amount for the homam materials he will bring.
In our case the kid is abroad.
At Brahmanasabha thrissur they do ayush homam and send prasadam and akshathai for 250 rs.
I know sacred pujas are not to be fixed by bargaining like this.still i thought this is a bit exorbitant.
Finally another Vadyar performed it in the most satisfactory way for us.
He was given rs600 for the homam materials including flowers,vishti etc etc.,500 as dakshinai.we were so pleased that we gave another 500 rs.

As with other things in India, prices for priest has soared high like real estate. And there is no standard in it. They fix price based on your 'wealth' status.
Even if you go with someone, there is no guarantee that they are doing all parts of a pooja (abbreviated mantrams etc) - unless one knows in detail what are the steps and what is said/done during pooja. And who is going to tally the 1008 times?

I had good and bad experiences and also heard from others. So I have started doing some homework before any job and try to know in its entirety and then go with the priest. This cautions them to be careful with us.

Only few priests do it sincerely, rest of them are for business, and do not even turn off their cellphones during pooja. They don't want to lose clients.

Regarding prices:
1. 4 priest along with head priest chanting mantras will sound good. However, prices increase. 1500 Rs per head is bit high. Head priest may get 2500 - 3000 Rs in this case. Sometimes, they bring in teen kids who are trainees to chant mantra as much as they can.
2. Homam materials hardly cost 300 - 500 Rs. They regularly buy from their source at a cheaper rate.

So bottomline finding a reliable priest cost wise and ethical is a challenge. Even if you find one, if it happens to be a busy season and other factors, for him to do a proper pooja is at his discretion. Kali kalaam!!

He is charging you this much because your Kid is abroad. and then in Thodupuzha I do not think you have many Vadhyars to choose from. He could be exploiting the monopoly position.

If possible get a Sasthirigal who has studied in a Veda Pathasala. He will pronounce the Mantras properly.

My father used to conduct monthly Ayush homam for all the children. It was a simple affair with one Sasthirigal. Your Vadhyar wants to make it an elaborate affair.

Do not compare with temple homams. In temples they do Sankalpa for a number of people and perform one Homam. If it is a Namboodhiri/Potthi doing it he will not even do a Sankalpam.

You could check up with Brahmana sabha. Trichur about the charges for conducting an Ayush homam individually. You can go to Trichur and do it. The place of conduct of the homa is not relevant here.

You could try bargaining.

But if you can afford it go ahead. Ask the vadhyar to ensure that there are no short cuts and the Ayush Suktam is pronounced and said in a proper way.

In an āyuṣyahomam, the āyuṣyasūktam is repeated some two hundred and odd times by each of the four vaadhyars, the total coming not exactly to 1008 (I forget the correct numbers.). We prefer a homam to simple japam because of some religious fixation of minds. I feel if we are able to recite the sooktam daily either in the morning or (preferably) in the evening, that will be as good as doing a homam once in a year. Try to learn the sooktam and also the samkalpam.

In Sing. Chennai, the rates are fixed! As one of our friends has mentioned in the post #2, the 'fee' is Rs. 8,000/-

Ram and I had to arrange the function (Grand daughter's) at the nearby Mandapam according to our D I L's wish.

The rent plus other charges like electricity, cleaning, water, gas cylinders, tips for workers came to nearly 30 k!

We bought dress for our first circle of relatives, blouse bits with 'thAmboolam' and arranged break fast (Rs. 60 )
and lunch (Rs. 225 ) for about 200 persons. So.......... The total expenses crossed one HUGE note!! :popcorn:

P.S: It is very easy to spend money in Sing. Chennai... :cool:

Can we think of a way by which the Brahmin community leaders and Priests jointly decide the reasonable Dakshina for each and every Puja,homam,rituals like wedding,aparakriya etc..

In Sing. Chennai, the rates are fixed!

I am afraid. It isn't. I live in chennai too. It varies with wealth status of client and also the nature of homam. Simple ones less cost, elaborate ones more. I got mine done for 3500 Rs with 4 sastrigal including head priest and one trainee (but he was very good and had much stronger command over pronunciation/recitation).

IMHO, I am able to say this because of my close interaction with 3 different sastrigals at different places (mambalam, chrompet, villivakkam).

yes. I agree with you all. It varies basically on the affordability factor of the person "buying the service". On a very frank note, we will have to rely on the expertise on the vadhyar (in my case he is our family vadhiyar and hence we do not discuss on whether or not he did everything right or was a skip of a few steps/mantrams). Discussable always is the fact that how many of them would put their expertise at every instance of performing a pujai or homam - hence, trust is god and samarpan to guru, beholding faith that all pujai/homam done is right is the option in this Kali yugam. Btw, can somebody elaborate on the process of ayush homam (I have no clue of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back