• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

A small request

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everybody

I like it very much here and am indeed priveleged to be part of this community.Now there's this small problem i've in addressing people.In other communities and forums i have not faced a problem since calling people by their first names has never been a problem in the west.But i feel ill at ease just because i dont know how to address people.It sounds very formal when a Mr/Ms is added.I might add a ji to the name if the age is known.This may sound stupid but can you do something about it,like displaying the ages of people?or do anything at all to identify that he/she is an older person?Please do something about this!
Thanks and Regards,
Ranjani R

Sure. I am always 16--like markandeya

Sure. I am always 16 and will be --like markandeya
icon10.gif

Hi everybody

This may sound stupid but can you do something about it,like displaying the ages of people?or do anything at all to identify that he/she is an older person?Please do something about this!
Thanks and Regards,
Ranjani R
Hi Ranjani,
Are all of them giving their real DOB's while registering themselves? If so your suggestion can execute.
See how Mr.Gautam is adding proof to my point.

Last edited:
Suggestion

Why not use Indian/Brahminical ways of address?

Sri for men; Srimathi for married women (you may know them or can ask them) or Sowbhagyavathi (for both married and unmarried women); Or a simple -ji is good enough too. Don't worry about the age if people feel uncomfortable carrying any of the grand titles you give them they will let you know. For your part you'd be doing a good thing if you give them a title to live up to!

Some of us are already implementing this.

Hi everybody

I like it very much here and am indeed priveleged to be part of this community.Now there's this small problem i've in addressing people.In other communities and forums i have not faced a problem since calling people by their first names has never been a problem in the west.But i feel ill at ease just because i dont know how to address people.It sounds very formal when a Mr/Ms is added.I might add a ji to the name if the age is known.This may sound stupid but can you do something about it,like displaying the ages of people?or do anything at all to identify that he/she is an older person?Please do something about this!
Thanks and Regards,
Ranjani R

Yeh panditon ki dunia hai yaaron !

I do not think you need to concern yourself too much with formality of addressing people appropriatingly.

Call every one with their screen name or suitable abbreviation of it.

On a lighter vain, you could consider callling every one as "Panditji" or "Panditain ji" ! Since everyone is a 'pandit' around here.

Kahe panditji, Kya chal raha hai ? Aap kaise hain ? Hum maje mein hoon !

Why not use Indian/Brahminical ways of address?

Sri for men; Srimathi for married women (you may know them or can ask them) or Sowbhagyavathi (for both married and unmarried women); Or a simple -ji is good enough too. Don't worry about the age if people feel uncomfortable carrying any of the grand titles you give them they will let you know. For your part you'd be doing a good thing if you give them a title to live up to!

Some of us are already implementing this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Ranjani!
Call me anything! But... don't call me late for supper! (an American humor!).
Chintana's idea is great provided people know the gender; otherwise, just address people by their screen name.
Besides, some people might not want to divulge their ages!! "Whom are you calling 'old'??"
As for me, I am 39 .:humble:...... if I were to go by Jack Benny!! (a great American comedian):eyebrows:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back