• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Why it is said each god is supreme and creator of universe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Namaste,

In some of the hymn/puranas it is said that, particular god is supreme of all, but the same is said for all the gods?
EX: Krishna/Vishnu says I am the supreme, everything came from me, I created everything.
EX: Siva puranam says everything should get immersed in Siva, he will take care of everything.
EX: Lalitha tripurasundari- lalithopyakyanum from her fingers all the 10 avatars came. so she is the creator.

The question is why it is said each god/goddess is supreme? how to understand these verses?

Sri bala charanam

Namaste,

In some of the hymn/puranas it is said that, particular god is supreme of all, but the same is said for all the gods?
EX: Krishna/Vishnu says I am the supreme, everything came from me, I created everything.
EX: Siva puranam says everything should get immersed in Siva, he will take care of everything.
EX: Lalitha tripurasundari- lalithopyakyanum from her fingers all the 10 avatars came. so she is the creator.

The question is why it is said each god/goddess is supreme? how to understand these verses?

Sri bala charanam

Sir,

You are the first person to raise this doubt. Does it look like a competition or chest-thumping of each god? If so, it is correct to a certain extent. Brahmins who concocted the various puranas tried, most probably, to bring many sections (groups) of people who held one or another deity as their main deity of worship and looked upon that deity as the highest God in heaven. The Puranas supported their view by inventing many stories and myths and declared each of these deities as the Supreme-most God. You thus have God X defeating God Y in one Purana while the converse will be portrayed in the Purana to glorify God Y.

But today, thanks to the Advaita philosophy, we have a ruse to justify all this past circuses. The One Supreme God is the Parabrahman which is without any quality and hence is not describable, but all these different Gods are forms in which we worship that One, indescribable Parabrahmam. Orthodox people will invariably add this rigvedic rik also:

Ekam sad vipraaH bahudhaa vadanti (Truth is one but panditas talk about it in many forms.)

Namaste Sangom Sir,

Thanks for your reply. I am with you, god is ONE.
If you dont mistake me, can I understand that wherever it is said/written that "I am the supreme God" its just the love of devotees who interpreted and written it? by which means god never revealed that he is only supreme to any one.

Then what about "phalasthuthi" for most of the hymns, which explains as god himself told/ on behalf of god it was told that to devotee? ---- is this also a love of a devotee towards god who wrote this?

I am not trying to debate here. I am trying to understand why is it said so in all Purana's referring to many historical/real characters which happened On our land. I dont mean to hurt any one feelings.

Sri bala charanam

Who wrote these puranas?
Did any God write them? Or is it the creation of Human beings?
If they were written by God, then they are false gods.
If written by human beings, then we know their biases.

Namaskaram,

To answer your questions directly:
"why it is said each god/goddess is supreme?"
Because they are. Take the concepts of Parabrahman and Advaita Vedanta aside for a moment and if you look these statements are still true. HOW can they all be true?! The answer is that they do not have to ALL be true to ALL people at the same time. The concepts and associated aspects of an Absolute Supreme are such that the Absolute Supreme must have created everything. But what is right for me in my progression of understanding that does not have to be the same as your own. There is no "wrong" here, as such they are all "right".

Just because the world needed a convenient handle for us "Hindu's" doesn't mean we all believe the same things. We are not all the same. We have differing ideas on the nature of supremacy and different names associated with those concepts. We are not all Advaita Vedantins either for that matter.

As to "how to understand these verses?" Therein lies a serious question because how you answer it is how you will define your philosophical approach to schools of differing thought. You can attempt to understand them all as "truth, but only through deeper philosophical understanding" or take them at face value and accept their exclusive claims. Your path is for you to create and walk.

Namaste,

Sri bala charanam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back