• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

How to instill healthy eating habits in Kids?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are too many junk foods available in the market. No matter how much I abstain , she still goes to her school and has them. Then I came across this read of Instilling healthy eating habits in kids on a new parenting site called Humpty Bumpty Kids. Very helpful! Share your stories ladies...how do you accomplish this mission? :lever:

There are too many junk foods available in the market. No matter how much I abstain , she still goes to her school and has them. Then I came across this read of Instilling healthy eating habits in kids on a new parenting site called Humpty Bumpty Kids. Very helpful! Share your stories ladies...how do you accomplish this mission? :lever:

My favorite topic. Sugar, Salt, caffiene, white flour/rice/starch are very addicting/dopamine foods. If kids had them once, they will remember it well. Same with the Restaurant foods.

We cannot replace them right away. There will be a huge revolt and cry, and we will be back to the old track again.

Start the new path, over the weekends. The parents should be first one to sacrifice their old-habits. Start with raw veggies salad tray, smoothies.
Replace the school snacks (cookies/candies) with the veggie stuff (with little carbs), overtime they would switch to plain veggies. Put a
ban on Candies/Cookies of any kind, tell them they will lose teeth and liver/kidneys. Tell them eating out is the worst option, regarding health.
We took an year or two ourselves to change (70%).

No frying, No sweets, savories. Only cooked, baked, sautéed/shallow fried or raw food, less carbs more proteins/fat.

Last edited:
Hello GOPAL RAO , Very natural & a question with logic care. One of the bitter truth is that,kids will sure adopt the qualities behavior,every thing that the parents ,elders do .so a proper planning and try to imply it ,as it requires the entire family members support.In my clinic ,many paedo patients (less than 12 yrs. ) complaints of multiple caries condition ,where the blame ,ball is passed to the elders- as gift ,bribe etc ,lots of candy ,sweet / salty sticky food leads to a lot series of complaints .01. So refrain the eating pattern,.02 time, 03 .cut-off the snacking in between the meals.04. proper water in take is a must for health. 05 .stop giving negative comments of food -colour,texture,nature. 06. please do not be too strict,explain them the ill-effects in proper way .07 .It will take time ,but ,will yield good result .wait and watch .

.It will take time ,but ,will yield good result .wait and watch .
Well said Dr. but in this hurry burry world IMO this will not be possible. When we put water only in fridge, Kids open the door look inside and puckerupand say no pepsi/Cola?..... that much this is drilled into us, when thirsty drink cola's. Fresh, green vegetable are complete no no!! Even if their favorite Popeye says spinach is healthy they dont agree with him!!
What Mr.Govinda has said is correct, but who has time to bell the cat!!

cheers.

Dear Sri Gopal Rao,

This is a problem we notice among all kids today. The continuous exposure to junk food is one of the main reasons for this. Children are bombarded with attractive advertisements in the visual media while they are watching their favourite programs. While our pediatrician had warned on the ill-effects of chemicals in junk food, this has no effect because of the vigorous ad campaign of the products. My young grand daughter knows the names of every new brand even before they find a place in the shelves of the shop. When I asked her about this, she said that her friends in the school had told her. We know the power of the word of mouth in spreading information good or bad.

Then comes the important cause that is "the over indulgence of parents" by getting what ever their children ask, to compensate their lack of time to be with their children. When I was a school going boy, to get a second pencil from my parents depended on showing the stub of the pencil I used. Now look at the change. The present day parents are liberal in getting what ever their kids want may it be a wrist watch or junk food of any kind.

Above all, now a days, there is money available to spend on expensive junk food. This is due to change in monetary status of middle class which has improved a lot, compared to previous generations. It is common to see both parents are employed and earn sizable money. And eating or bringing food from outside frequently have become common.

Only way to stop this erosion in values is that parents should instil discipline in themselves and their children
on food habits. Very difficult process indeed.

Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Last edited:
hi
i pefer THAYIR SAADHAM .......some satvic foods......now a days more rajasic/tamasic available than satvic food....

Sir ,already kids are aware of all vitamins ,minerals in the food content through their studies ,so it can be implied ,just look into their EVS Book / SST Book and explain them .do not stop the outing /hotels plan at once ,instead, plan for a healthy dish,not of deep fry,go for masala pappad for finger fry /french fries.I prepare dosa to my kids with vegetables toppings, with their names/ their favorite alpabet,logo ,its actually what is called PLANNING.if we want our kids healthy & good habits ,just jot down ,like coming sunday ,not to be lazy,plan your market purchase-ask what they want ,take along with them.each day one type ,variety has to be done,its after all for our kids,see through that we do not over do this,make it easy ,lovable,attractive. Sir Iam aworking professional, but will plan ahead,and I prepare the food for my family ,not all days are sundays ,even my kids go cranky at times ,so portion ,content is moderation.,and they know since I have explained the ill- effects, they know the limit.Even we can prepare majority of dishes at home so we can avoid more salt,too oily content in the dishes.But be firm as one veggie a day is a must ,so you /they can select it. (my kids will have all vegetables,peerikangai thoovayal,all kootu, spinach--either maaziyal /molagutal form )Sir its we have to plan and imply.:rolleyes: :cool: :) ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back