• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Cure for Sorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a popular story from 'Buddha' s life and teaching; I can understand that the Chinese can neither understand nor acknowledge the existence of Buddha or his teachings, but how come persons like 'Praveen'? can bring in this story without referring it to the Bhuddha?

Cure for sorrow

Once a devotee came to Sathguru Gnananandagiri Swamigal and with tears
in his eyes he narrated all his sufferings to the Sage and asked him to give
him a solution. The kind-hearted Sage asked him whether he is familiar with
'Tirukkural'. The devotee said yes. Then Swamiji quoted the kural " yaadanin
yaadanin neengiyaan nodhal/ athanin athanin ilan " and asked him whether
he knows the meaning of this kural. The devotee could not explain the meaning properly, and thereupon Swamiji told him " See, our Saint Tiruvalluvar has given the solution in a simple language. If you stay away
from the things, you will not experience any sorrow from those things ".

In the same chapter there is another kural - " Parrarra kanne pirapparukkum
marru/ nilaiyaamai kanappadum ". Once you become dsireless, you will
get liberation from the cycle of births and deaths called samsara. Otherwise
you will be caught in this vicious circle of samsara ".

Many other saints, notably Saint Pattinaththar, have pointed out that
death is the only certainty and that Life itself is not a bed of roses.

You can liberate yourself from the cycle of the births and deaths either
through Gnana marga involving rigorous discipline starting from karmayoga
or through Bakthi marga totally surrendering yourself, Atmarpanam,
which is Saranagathi. In both these ways, 'you' is erased totally and
the real 'YOU' stays.

As long as we are human we will have sorrow along with happiness. We all believe in Karma. Our life is determined by the Karmas of our past lives.

But that does not mean that we can not do anything about it. We cannot change our past karma. But by doing good karma in this life we can alleviate the effects of the past karma.

For example if two people are fated to suffer a loss of Rs. 50000 in this jenma.

Person A: Does nothing worthwhile in this jenma. He is almost broken by his loss.

Person B: Performs good deeds in this jenma which makes him either rich or have a mental attitude such that he does not feel the loss.

You can not eliminate sorrow. But you can get the mental strength to face it by being good to your fellow human beings and praying to God.

Going further ahead ...

The story could well continue as :

PERSON A: Lost the 50,000 EURO's , starts robbing all wealthy people , accumulates funds , builds an Ashram for the needy -- GOOD or BAD karma ??

ELSE IF

PERSON B : Has a mental + ve attitude , comes over the losses, lives life in a normal way doing the normal duties of a father, caring husband , goes thru life cycle without deviating from the " NORMAL AVERAGE LIVES " of people -- Is it Sufficient to take him to heaven , stopping his Rebirth phenomenon !!

Too many grey areas for establishing karma points -- Inquisitive poster - awaiting response from pundits !!

Your karmas are like transactions in your Bank accounts. Do a good/kind deed it is a deposit. Do a bad deed. It is a withdrawal. Whether you go to heaven or attain Moksha will depend on the balance in your Karma account. If you have only an average balance you will go to Heaven, stay there till your account gets over and then take a rebirth. If you have huge balance you will get Moksha.

If you do nothing there will be a nil balance in your account.

But the weightage for each deed and the cut off points for heaven and Moksha are not known at least to me since I am not Chitra Gupta. :D

cure for sorrow

Mine was an answer to the query whether there is any cure for sorrow.

All karmas are visited by results. They bind you to the cycle of births and
deaths - we call it samsara. If bad karmas are iron chains, good karmas are
golden chains. Both bind you.

If one does karma without expecting any reward and as oblation to Iswara,
it does not bind him. Jivanmuktas do karmas in this way and hence they
do not have agaami. Since they do not identify themselves to the body,
they do not bother about the prarabda .

Some great expositions on this subject are available - by Sri Adi Sankara,
Sri Vidyaranya, Sri Vasistha and others.

Sri. N.R.Ranganathan,

I apologize if my post has hurt you in some way. I was only trying to supplement it in a way.

I thought I will write about renunciation and saranagatha from my personal experience. But may be it will have to wait for another day.

cure for sorrow

Mr.Nacchinarkiniyan
Not at all sir. I just explained the context , and as might have guessed
it was for a limited purpose. The subjects of ' Mano nasa' , 'Vasana kshaya',
and 'Saranagathi' deserve a full-scale thesis. According to the informed
and to the Anubhuthimaans, Mano nasa = Saranagathi. In both these cases
" I " is erased.

Exactly Mr.Ranganathan / Mr.Nacchi !

My total ' Saranagathi ' to your discussion !
But I will appreciate if the Language you speak is understandable to all the people !

' Mano nasa' , 'Vasana kshaya',
and 'Saranagathi' ---- What do these things mean ??

Please explain

Thanks

Saranagathi

What is Saranagathi? It is total surrender to the supreme God. You have to leave everything to God. This is the highest form of Bhakthi.

நல்லது தீயது நாமறியோம், அன்னை
நல்லது நாட்டுக! தீமையை ஓட்டுக!

But easier said than done. Because you should have the mental attitude to take the good as well as bad as எல்லாம் இறைவன் செயல்.

You may remember the Bahavani Ashatakam stanzas which I had posted earlier. Here is the first stanza.

Na thatho, na matha, na bandur na datha,
Na puthro, na puthri, na bruthyo , na bartha,
Na jayaa na Vidhya, na Vruthir mamaiva,
Gathisthwam, Gathisthwam Thwam ekaa Bhavani.

Neither the mother nor the father, Neither the relation nor the friend,
Neither the son nor the daughter, Neither the servant nor the husband,
Neither the wife nor the knowledge, And neither my sole occupation,
Are my refuges that I can depend, Oh, Bhavani, So you are my refuge
and my only refuge, Bhavani.

Renunciation and Saranagathi go together.

This is the ideal which we should all aim for.

Every one has duties according to the stage of life a person is in. As a son/daughter, student, brahmachari, grahastha, vanaprastha, and sannyasa. The ideals of Renunciation and Saranagathi sometimes comes in conflict with your duties.

Dear Mr.Nacchi ,

As you say ! " easier said than done "

One needs tempering , to really get into this way of thinking !
Of course , ' THE TRUTH PREVAILS !" , that the SUPREME GOD is the only refuge !

But how often do normal human beings realize this ?
Whatever a human being achieves in his life , he always says ' I have done it , give the credit to me ! and when he is unable to achieve something , he says ' My time is not at all good !" Rahu/ Ketu Sani are all against me !

It is very difficult to attain this saranagathi process ! How difficult , it is to move away from ur loved ones ! GOD and his Leelai's !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back