• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Vishnu Sahasranamam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sir,

I will share my experience. I chant VSN daily.

I think it gives you peace of mind and a balanced thinking. After I started chanting VSN, I kind of developed an ability to understand several slokas much more easily. I developed an ability to see multiple dimensions more clearly.

In particular, I ask elders and people who are ill to chant VSN. It keeps the brain and mind fresh.

For elders, who spend away time watching TV or not able to perform many activities due to ill-health, it is a way to keep your brain active. Your neuron connections will be retained fresh (if we do not use our brain, the connections get lost).

For those people who find it difficult to meditate, as they are not able to concentrate, my suggestion is to mentally chant VSN sitting in a place, eyes closed, in meditative posture, without moving. At the end of it, you will experience a bliss and would love to continue that state forever. It is a very good meditation method, which I often practice.

Try it too..

I am not sure if it gives wealth etc. I can tell u it gives you mental health.

-TBT

Reactions: KRN
ThanQ very much Mr. TBT; I would try to chant and practice Vishnu Sahasranamam with eyes closed as meditation posture to derive the invaluable mental health.
with warm regards. Iniya Pongal NalvaazhthukkaL
s sivaraman

MR. TBT,
I agree with your post. I wanted to express it, as I have expressed opposing views on your other posts.

Sri TBT's message was very good. Recently, I started chanting VSN every day. To-gether, I also chant Lakshmi Stotram. For me, I get some form of money everytime I chant. Actually, I dont pray for anything. But, If I have any problem/worry in my sub-conscious mind, that gets resolved. E.G: It has the power to change someone's mind in a couple of days, which I couldn't do myself for years. Suddenly, they become favorable to me.

The best way is to chant the stotram, meditating on the form of Vishnu, exactly as described in the verses:

Samkhabhirt nandakee chakree saarnga dhanvaa gadaadharah
Rathaangapaanir akshobhyah sarva praharana ayudhah. 107

Vanamalee gadhee sarnghee Sanghee Chakree ca nandaki |
Sreemaan NaarayaNo Vishnur VasuDevO abhirakshathu || 108

If we can meditate on the meaning of every sloka, while chanting that sloka, We can perceive Him well,
and become best devotees.

Last edited:
I chant Vishnu Sahasranamam daily twice in morning and evening. Once I started It has become a compulsion to chant everyday. The mind feels so fresh. It is not necessary to chant VSN for any benefit. Just the pleasure of chanting itself gives the mind so much happiness and peace. VSN also has the greatness that it was listened to by Lord Krishna himself. It is mentioned by Sri Velukkudi Krishnan Swamigal that chanting VSN will give anything that we wish for, but the best is to chant VSN without asking for anything - just for the joy of chanting. Thanks to the Lord for giving me an opportunity to share my ideas.

Vsn

VSN

Shanta Karam Bhujaga Shayanam,
Padmanabham Suresham.
Vishvadharam Gagana Sadrusham,
Megha Varnam Shubhangam.
Lakshmi Kantam Kamala Nayanam,
Yogibhir Dhyana Gamyam.
Vande Vishnum Bhava Bhaya Haram,
Sarva Lokaia Kanatham.

I adore Lord Vishnu
who is the embodiment of peace,
who lies on the Shesha serpent,
whose navel is the source of the Lotus of the Universe,
whose complexion is swarthy like the clouds,
whose body shines with heavenly beauty,
who is the beloved of Goddess Lakshmi,
whose eyes are like Lotus,
who is meditated upon by the yogis,
who is the remover of the fear of the
world-process, the cycle of birth and death.

I chant Vishnu Sahasranamam daily twice in morning and evening. Once I started It has become a compulsion to chant everyday. The mind feels so fresh. It is not necessary to chant VSN for any benefit. Just the pleasure of chanting itself gives the mind so much happiness and peace. VSN also has the greatness that it was listened to by Lord Krishna himself. It is mentioned by Sri Velukkudi Krishnan Swamigal that chanting VSN will give anything that we wish for, but the best is to chant VSN without asking for anything - just for the joy of chanting. Thanks to the Lord for giving me an opportunity to share my ideas.

Then, people seeking only peace, should avoid chanting the 'Phala Sruti' part of VSN. lol!

Please highlight the significance and importance of chanting Vishnu Sahasranamam Parayanam daily.

Best is to chant daily for urself and see the benefits . Even recently before going for a trip to Rishikesh and Devprayag ( where Ganges Originates ) I decided to do 1 Mandalam ( 48 ) days of Vishnu Sahasrnama chanting and had a very fruitful , refreshing and excellent trip without any problems .

Best is to chant daily for urself and see the benefits . Even recently before going for a trip to Rishikesh and Devprayag ( where Ganges Originates ) I decided to do 1 Mandalam ( 48 ) days of Vishnu Sahasrnama chanting and had a very fruitful , refreshing and excellent trip without any problems .

It is all a matter of belief only. In north India, I am told that VN is considered as "aSubha" to be recited except when some one has died and the dead body is lying in the house, to be taken for cremation. This is because VN was told by Bheeshma in his SaraSayya, before death!!

Hence, VN by itself has no mantra powers.

It is all a matter of belief only. In north India, I am told that VN is considered as "aSubha" to be recited except when some one has died and the dead body is lying in the house, to be taken for cremation. This is because VN was told by Bheeshma in his SaraSayya, before death!!

Hence, VN by itself has no mantra powers.

Sir Sangom,
Please check your sources before generalizing on entire NI, and where does North start?

I have lived my life in Calcutta, Ranchi, Delhi regions. There is no such strictures. I have heard Vishnu Sahasranam all my life. Chinmayanada even did a 10 day class on it. I agree that I can not speak for every north Indian, but that blanket statement by you needs to be modified.

Sir Sangom,
Please check your sources before generalizing on entire NI, and where does North start?

I have lived my life in Calcutta, Ranchi, Delhi regions. There is no such strictures. I have heard Vishnu Sahasranam all my life. Chinmayanada even did a 10 day class on it. I agree that I can not speak for every north Indian, but that blanket statement by you needs to be modified.

This was told to me by my sister who lives in Delhi for the last so many years and has also lived for many years in Kolkotta, before that.

May be the classes of Chinmayananda in a public place are an exception, but what my sister told me was that instead of the ezhuthachan's ramayana which is recited on such occasions all over Kerala (again tabras don't follow this:so when we say all over Kerala, it denotes only the majority.), in Delhi she found people reading out VN.

This was told to me by my sister who lives in Delhi for the last so many years and has also lived for many years in Kolkotta, before that.

May be the classes of Chinmayananda in a public place are an exception, but what my sister told me was that instead of the ezhuthachan's ramayana which is recited on such occasions all over Kerala (again tabras don't follow this:so when we say all over Kerala, it denotes only the majority.), in Delhi she found people reading out VN.

There are a lot of people who bring their environment with them, and never stray away from them. So A tamilian living in little tamil nadu in Delhi or Mumbai is not going to be aware of Delhi or Mumbai customs.
There are people living for generations in southall uk, who would not know any cultural trait of an English countryside, because they are insulated from external society.

It is not a blot on your sister or her opinion, it is an observation.

I would not argue with you, but you are internet savvy, and have travelled in the past. That is the reason I feel you should have much broader view.

There are a lot of people who bring their environment with them, and never stray away from them. So A tamilian living in little tamil nadu in Delhi or Mumbai is not going to be aware of Delhi or Mumbai customs.
There are people living for generations in southall uk, who would not know any cultural trait of an English countryside, because they are insulated from external society.

It is not a blot on your sister or her opinion, it is an observation.

I would not argue with you, but you are internet savvy, and have travelled in the past. That is the reason I feel you should have much broader view.

Of course, among the south people everywhere, be it Delhi, Kolkatta or Chandigarh, chanting VN is very common. It happens in the south indian kind of temples also in North India. But I found that my landlord in Kanpur - one Shri Misra, a very orthodox UP brahmin - could not understand what VN was. His evening prayers consisted of Sandhya + reciting "manas" some portion each day.

My sister found VN being read aloud in a house when she went for condolence - in their own building and was shocked it seems. Then she was told that it is the custom among a large section of the people there. Taking the cue, now some tabra families have also stated reciting VN - both men & women - in the evenings of all the 13 days after death. One young woman commented that in this way the soul of the dead would surely attain heaven even if the vaidika karmas are not done properly. That's how fast beliefs are created !;)

Taking the cue, now some tabra families have also stated reciting VN - both men & women - in the evenings of all the 13 days after death.

I have also heard from people that Mahabharata, BG, Garuda Purana books are not be kept at home or even recited except on those ceremonies. But,after reading the meaning, messages, I find it is worthwhile to read them.

In MB, Krishna explains to Arjuna that it was the powers of VN (chanted every day by Bheesma) that prevented anyone defeating Bheesma (one on one) in war/fight.

VN is full of glory of Lord Krishna, and explains all the philosophy behind His names. And pronouncing those words are not only pleasure, but promotes tongue mobility. It also extols the Lord of granting all needs for a peaceful life. So, VN should be taught with right meaning/essence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back