• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Vibhuti (Sacred ash)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vibhuti (Sacred ash)

Qn. Which is correct – applying damp vibhuti or dry vibhuti?

Ans.
Generally vibhuti is to be worn damp, after making it into a paste. But when we get Swami Prasada in temples we should
apply it as it is, dryly.

Vibhuti that we bring from temples should not be mixed with the stock at home. it should be kept separately.

Important: After applying vibhuti paste, you should not wash the hands but cleanse it by applying the remnant on other parts
including legs and hands.

============================================================================================

NB: The above Q&A is taken from the FAQ section of the book 'THE GREAT HINDU TRADITION' authored by Sarma Sastrigal

Attachments

• BOOK Front cover.jpg
    BOOK Front cover.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 553
Vibhuti that we bring from temples should not be mixed with the stock at home. it should be kept separately.

============================================================================================

NB: The above Q&A is taken from the FAQ section of the book 'THE GREAT HINDU TRADITION' authored by Sarma Sastrigal

Dear Sir,

May I know the reason behind this?

Becos Vibuthi is ash and ash represents the final product of dissolution where everything goes back to the 5 elements.

The Vibuthi at home too would have been "charged" with positive vibes of prayer at home and the Vibuthi from the temple too would have been "charged" with positive vibes from the prayers at the temple..I wonder what is the actual reason why it should not be mixed?

Is it becos the quality or type of Vibuthi at home might differ from the Vibuthi from the temple?

Or is it for hygiene reasons we should not mix old vibuthi at home with new vibuthi from the temple..just like how we do not mix new spices we buy from the shop with the old spices we have at home.

Is there any specific spiritual significance for not mixing Temple Vibuthi and home Vibuthi?

I hope you don't mind answering my questions cos I really want to know the spiritual significance behind each and every act of ours.

Dear Renu,

Ram's father who was performing daily SaligrAma abhishEkams and pooja, used to prepare home vibhuthi.

There were two cows in his village house and the vibhuthi was made form the home made 'vaRatti'. The color

of the vibhuthi is dark grey and not like the pure white ash given in many temples. Though vibhuthi can not

become old, like other spices we use in the kitchen, the sweat from our hands might be added to it while we

hold it in our palm in the temple. We have a separate cup at home for collecting the vibhuthi from temples. :)

This varies per tradition I think. In some Iyer families who wear Gobi I have heard vibuti is to be applied dry.
Is there any clarification on this?
hi RR madam,
even though i belong to keeth namakkara iyer sect....but my mom's side gobi sect...i dont want show as 'iyengar' becoz of

iyer...so i wear gobi in the morning...evening dry vibhuti only...we never use wet vibhuti......this is particular sect in singanallur

village, coimbatore....and some parts of palakkad agraharams....

even though i belong to keeth namakkara iyer sect.................

i......this is particular sect in singanallur village, coimbatore....and some parts of palakkad agraharams....
My younger sister is married to a 'keethu nAmakkAra Iyer' from Palakkad!! :D

My younger sister is married to a 'keethu nAmakkAra Iyer' from Palakkad!! :D
hi RR madam,
keethu namakara sect...even though iyer...never use wet vibhuti....i heard that four main keethu namakkara agraharam....

2 in kerala/ 2 in tamil nadu.....pallipuram/ thirunellayi are main palakkad agraharam....singanallur in coimbatore and another

in thanjavur district...i dont know exact name of that village....im familiar with coimbatore/palakkad agraharams....

It is a general and popular belief, in the Hindu tradition is that of applying Vibhuti
or sacred ash on the forehead. Some books say that applying over the other parts
of the body will facilitate in redemption of sins. In earlier days, the sacred ash is
to be prepared by using burned cow dung. It has a great power to cure various
types of diseases and it also helps in improving physical and mental health.
In Hinduism, the sacred ash is associated with Shiva. While applying, one can
chant the Mantra Om Nama Shivaya. In fact, the sacred ash has to be applied
using the middle three fingers without using the thumb and the little finger.

One has to receive the sacred ash in the right hand and shift it to the left
hand and then apply it with the right hand. It also removes the lethargy and
laziness.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

Dear Sir,

May I know the reason behind this?

Becos Vibuthi is ash and ash represents the final product of dissolution where everything goes back to the 5 elements.

The Vibuthi at home too would have been "charged" with positive vibes of prayer at home and the Vibuthi from the temple too would have been "charged" with positive vibes from the prayers at the temple..I wonder what is the actual reason why it should not be mixed?

Is it becos the quality or type of Vibuthi at home might differ from the Vibuthi from the temple?

Or is it for hygiene reasons we should not mix old vibuthi at home with new vibuthi from the temple..just like how we do not mix new spices we buy from the shop with the old spices we have at home.

Is there any specific spiritual significance for not mixing Temple Vibuthi and home Vibuthi?

I hope you don't mind answering my questions cos I really want to know the spiritual significance behind each and every act of ours.

Any Prasada that we receieve from holy places like temples should be used/consumed as it is, as we receive them - that is without any additions. The same principle applies here too.

While on the suject I may say that since this posting on Vibhuti has created some interests in some of our members I will post another write-up related to the same subject for whatever worth it is.

Best
Sarma Sastrigal

Any Prasada that we receieve from holy places like temples should be used/consumed as it is, as we receive them - that is without any additions. .......
There are a few poojaris who can give just a pinch of vibhudhi and kumkum to the devotees! No wastage absolutely.

And in Kerala temples, the chandhan, kumkum and flowers are kept on a tiny strip of banana leaf and dropped on the

devottees palm without touching them! :)

dear sir !
many people follow both wet vibhuthi and dry vibhuthi application .as said dry vibhuthi is used in temple many use paste vibuthi for performing spiritual ceremony and sandhya vandhanams .dry vibhuthi is applied after their coffee in the morning before starting their daily routine and in the evening also after face wash dry vibhuthi is applied .keethu namakara is new information
guruvayurappan

During observing AAsowcham =theetu- unclean for ten days after death one should use vibhuthi only as dry in their fore head before starting sandhya vandhanam.these perons should not use wet vibhuthi.

Vibhuthi, the sacred ash destroys the black energy effects created
by an unwanted person or an enemy. Application of Vibhuthi, the
sacred ash relieves the distress. Vibhuthi has some medicinal and curing properties.
It confers happiness to a person in the life. Further, it is also mentioned vibhuthi
applied on the forehead would prevent the exit of energy from the body. Besides
wearing of Rudraksha and applying Vibhuthi on the forehead confers a person a
great sanctity. It is also mentioned that even Lord Yama would hesitate to approach
the person on seeing the Vibhuthi on the forehead for a while. That is why some Saints
offer Vibhuthi to the Devotees when a person prostrates being a Raksha.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

Last edited:
Dear Sarma Ji,

Just one more point I am curious about.
When we apply wet paste of Vibuthi to body the moisture evaporates and the vibuthi stays longer on our body.
Heat is lost during evaporation and in this case a certain amount of bodily heat is loss through evaporation.

In hot and humid climates these method of applying wet paste to the body would aid to keep one's body cool.

So I wonder is this the reason why we need to apply wet vibuthi.

To compare and contrast how do Northern Indians apply Vibuthi?

Since they have a colder weather up North so how do they apply Vibuthi..dry or wet?

Cos if we can find regional variation in modes of application may be this practice could be actually related to local climate.

Would just like some info on this.

Jahalee mundee lumchitha keshaa
Kashaayaambara bahu krutha vesha (jahalee)
Paschyanabhichana paschyathi mooda

Or is it a face mask?

Why do we need to show off, the sect we belong to? Same question of other religions and groups.

Last edited:
Jahalee mundee lumchitha keshaa
Kashaayaambara bahu krutha vesha (jahalee)
Paschyanabhichana paschyathi mooda

Or is it a face mask?

Why do we need to show off, the sect we belong to? Same question of other religions and groups.

An Identification I guess or may be a Holier Than Thou feeling too!LOL

Vibuthi is just to remind us about the impermanence of the material world..after all even in Christianity at death..the final words are Ashes to Ashes Dust to Dust.

Vibuthi reminds us that everything goes back to 5 elements.

So by applying this we remind ourselves not to be too attached to the material world.

But if we are applying Vibuthi just for the heck of it without actually knowing why we are doing so ....then its “Pashyannapi na pashyathi Mudho"

Significance of Vibhuti

Baba has often spoken of the significance of this Vibhuti. Since it is materialized out of nothing and since the Ash is specifically associated with Siva, it is reverentially known by devotees as Kailasa Vibhuti, the sacred Ash of Siva who resides on Mount Kailasa.

It is named Vibhuti since it endows one with prosperity; Bhasma - "ashes" because it burns away all sins; Bhasitam - "brightened" because it increases one's spiritual splendor; Ksharam - "destruction" since it removes danger; and Raksha - "protector" for it is an armor against the machinations of evil spirits.

This is how the Vibhuti is praised in the Brihad Jabala Upanishad, one of the ancient spiritual texts. Baba says Vibhuti is also a constant reminder of the evanescence of the body which, ultimately, is reduced in cremation to a potful of ash!

Vibhuti is the most precious object in a spiritual sense. Shiva burnt the God of Desire for he agitates the mind and increases the confusion already existing there. Shiva burnt him into a heap of ashes. When the God of desire was destroyed, Prema (Love) reigned supreme. When there is no desire to control the mind, love can be true for all.

The application of this Holy Ash is a reminder for us to achieve our victory over desire. Ash is the ultimate condition of things; it cannot undergo any further change. Ash cannot fade as flowers do in a day or two, it does not dry and disappear or get soiled and unpotable as water does. It does not lose colour as leaves do in a few hours and it does not rot as fruits do in a few days.

Ash is ash forever and ever. This state of ash reminders us of our true nature, which is the atma, our soul. Our soul never undergoes any change. So burn your vices, your bad habits, and worship the Lord rendering yourself pure in thought, word and deed. Reach the state of nothingness and attain liberation by absorbing the essence of the vibhuti that we apply on our foreheads.

When we recite this vibhut mantra, we say “I take refuge in the supremely sacred vibhuti of the Lord, the wonderful vibhuti which bestows liberation, the sacred state which I desire to attain.”

Since this mantra is so powerful, we should recite it with respect and with sincerity in order that we gain the full benefit from it.

In India, holy ash — a sacred symbol also found in other religions — is often called Vibhuti and is associated with Shiva. Vibhuti reminds us of the transitory nature of all earthly things and of the mortality of the body.

It is also a symbol of purity and wisdom when viewed as the pure residue resulting from the burning away of ignorance through sadhana (spiritual practice), when desires and attachments have been reduced to ashes.

The word Vibhuti has many meanings, including "glory," "might," and "wealth." According to the teachings of Sathya Sai Baba, we will have all these usually transitory qualities in a real and lasting sense when we finally "burn away" all of our lower impulses and attachments. Vibhuti is often materialized by Sathya Sai Baba.

It has been known to have healing properties that affect both physical and spiritual maladies. The healing, however, is not automatic and is dependent upon grace and the inner receptivity of the devotee. Vibhuti is sometimes referred to as "Prasad" or "Prasadam" (grace in the form of food). It can be eaten or rubbed on the body (e.g., upon the area of the "third eye" between the eyebrows which has been called the "Eye of Shiva").

Devotees of Shiva in India often wear stripes of ash across their foreheads
Both Vibhuti and Namam are worn on the forehead by the devotees of Siva (sivaites) and Vishnu(vaishnavites) respectively.

The significance of ‘Vibhuti is stated in a verse in Agama sastra.

Brahma vishnuscha rudrascha

Pundrasyathi Devatha

Srushti sthithi samahara

Thripundrusya swarupakam.

It states that Vibhuti expresses the concept that this world we live in and the universe are driven by the functions of creation, preservation and destruction as enacted by the Triad(Thrimurthys) Brahma, Vishnu and Siva. It also signifies that the three Murthies, in the triad are equal. The significance of Vibhuthi is that the body is to be transformed in to ash one day, hence the morality of all men and women born in this world. With this realization we should overcome the ego and selfishness in us and conduct our lives in the righteous path.

Vaishnavas call their representation of Namam on their foreheads as Thirumann, which means the sacred earth (dust). Namam consists of three vertical lines joined at the base, the two outer whitelines signifying the worship of Brahama and Vishnu and the red centerline signifying the worship Mahalakshi. The Namam(thirumann) signifies the fact the men and women of this world will all be transformed.

Last edited:
An Identification I guess or may be a Holier Than Thou feeling too!LOL

Vibuthi is just to remind us about the impermanence of the material world..after all even in Christianity at death..the final words are Ashes to Ashes Dust to Dust.

Vibuthi reminds us that everything goes back to 5 elements.

So by applying this we remind ourselves not to be too attached to the material world.

But if we are applying Vibuthi just for the heck of it without actually knowing why we are doing so ....then its “Pashyannapi na pashyathi Mudho"

I do not have any problem. If I go to a hospital, I expect a doctor in white coat, I do not want to see him in shorts and t-shirt. Similarly when I go to court, I expect the judge in black clocks. I understand the special identification for the profession.

I can also accept the religious or cosmetic value of applying tilak, vinhuti, kumkum etc.
But I see people working in office environment, and going with forehead full of Vibhuti. They to take the bribe, and eat in the restaurant, and carry on day to day activity.

They may know the reason for this vibhuti, but are now doing as a chore.
If it brings them peace, more power to them. I do not have any arguments with that.

But I see people working in office environment, and going with forehead full of Vibhuti. They to take the bribe, and eat in the restaurant, and carry on day to day activity.

Dear Prasad ji,

We all wear clothes and that is just the outer covering.Only we really know our true nature.
So for such individuals all marks like Vibuthi/Tilak etc are just worn like a garment and also to just go along the social norm.
But a person's true nature only he and God knows.

Hence we have this stanza:

jatilo mundii lujnchhitakeshah
kaashhaayaambarabahukritaveshhah
pashyannapi cana pashyati muudhah
udaranimittam bahukritaveshhah​
There are many who go with matted locks, many who have clean shaven heads, many whose hairs have been plucked out; some are clothed in saffron, yet others in various colors --- all just for a livelihood. Seeing truth revealed before them, still the foolish ones see it not.​

you completed my quote.
I did not want to write the last line, as some members may take objection. LOL

you completed my quote.
I did not want to write the last line, as some members may take objection. LOL

Dear Prasad ji,

I could sense that you were trying to convey something but did not want to land in controversy.

So I thought I would convey it direct to the point!LOL

To compare and contrast how do Northern Indians apply Vibuthi?

Since they have a colder weather up North so how do they apply Vibuthi..dry or wet?
Good Morning Renukaji... general public in North India do not apply vibhuthi on their foreheads and only sadhu's and Sanyasi's residing anywhere in Hardwar, rishikesh, and other places apply sacred ash all over their body. Normal public use chandan etc and Hanumanji orange colour paste. They do not even use kumkum which we get in temples in south.
Actually in Hindi movies to show a south indian thye use vibhuthi on the forehead and call him madrasi!!lol...

cheers.

பூச்சாண்டி வருகிறான்!

இந்த வார்த்தையைச் சொல்லித்தான், நாம்

எந்தக் குழந்தையையும் அடக்கிவிடுவோம்!

'பூச்சாண்டி' என்ற சொல் எப்படி வந்தது என்று
புதுவித விளக்கத்தைச் சொல்லக் கேட்டேன்!

சேர சோழ பாண்டியர்கள் நம் நாட்டை ஆண்ட
நேரத்திற்குப் பல காலம் முன்பு, சைவத்தை

எதிர்க்கும் ஒரு கூட்டம் அராஜகம் செய்தது!
எதிரில் எவரேனும் விபூதியை நெற்றியிலே

இட்டு வந்தால், யாரென்றுகூடக் கேளாமலே,
வெட்டி விட்டனர் அவர்களின் தலைகளை!

அது மட்டுமல்லாது, விபூதி இட்டவர்களிடம்
பொது இடத்தில் பேசுபவரும், பெற்றிடுவார்

அதே போன்ற மிகக் கொடிய தண்டனையை!
இதே நீண்ட காலம் தொடர, ஆண்டிகள் சிலர்

கூடிப் பேசி, இதைத் தடுக்க ஒரு வழியினை
நாடி, தைரியமாக ஒரு முடிவும் எடுத்தனர்!

சொந்த வீடு, வாசல், மனைவி, மக்கள் என்று
எந்த பந்தமும் இல்லாது அவர்கள் உள்ளாரே!

இறந்தால் நன்மையே அவர்களுக்கு; சிறந்த
இறைவன் திருவடி சேரலாம், விரைவிலே!

பயமே இன்றி உடல் முழுவதும் திருநீறு பூச,
பயம் வந்தது மக்களுக்கு, அவர்களிடம் பேச!

திருநீறு பூசிய ஆண்டிகள் உலவிடும் சமயம்,
திரும்பிப் பார்க்காமல், கதவை அடைத்தனர்!

'பூச்சாண்டி வருவான்', என்று சிறுவர்களிடம்,
'பூச்சாண்டி' பயத்தையும் ஏற்படுத்திவிட்டனர்!

பயத்தின் காரணத்தால் வந்த இந்தப் பெயரே,
பயத்தை வரவைக்கும் 'பூச்சாண்டி' ஆயிற்று!

:fear: . . . :scared:

(சொற்பொழிவில் ஒரு பெரியவர் சொல்லக்
கேட்டேன்!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back