• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

I’m Looking for info about my great-grandmother for my family tree!

Anjali35

Hi everyone,

My great grandmother was a Tamil Brahmin, from the Iyer community. She migrated to Pakistan after her marriage to my Muslim great grandfather, around the time of the partition. Her family were not aware of her marriage and she kind of went missing. I am quite suspicious about the circumstances of her marriage and no one in my family really gives me a proper explanation of what actually happened and how she ended up in Pakistan. However, she lived the rest of her life in Pakistan and continued practicing Hinduism privately in her marital home. She was never able to go back to Tamil Nadu and reconnect with her parents and siblings unfortunately.

Moving forward, I would like to know if there is any way I can find more information about where she grew up, and how can I find out more about her life before she moved to Pakistan?

I am her great granddaughter, I am Hindu (by choice not by birth) and based in Canada. My family is Pakistani originally but we were all born and raised in Canada. I would love to know more about her previous life before marriage and her ancestors. I have a lot of love for my great grandmother’s South Indian culture and Hindu traditions. I use her surname in my name and I am trying my best to learn Tamil and reconnect with this part of my heritage. I hope one day I can find out the truth behind her story.

I wasn’t sure where to ask about this, so I thought this forum might be a good start.

Many thanks!

Last edited:
What was her name?
Native place and why at time of partition her family was at North of India and not in Tamil Nadu?
What was her father working as in North of India.
Also back in those times people of all communities were very orthodox and love marriages of the interstate, intercaste and inter religion was almost unheard off.

Hi everyone,

My great grandmother was a Tamil Brahmin, from the Iyer community. She migrated to Pakistan after her marriage to my Muslim great grandfather, around the time of the partition. Her family were not aware of her marriage and she kind of went missing. I am quite suspicious about the circumstances of her marriage and no one in my family really gives me a proper explanation of what actually happened and how she ended up in Pakistan. However, she lived the rest of her life in Pakistan and continued practicing Hinduism privately in her marital home. She was never able to go back to Tamil Nadu and reconnect with her parents and siblings unfortunately.

Moving forward, I would like to know if there is any way I can find more information about where she grew up, and how can I find out more about her life before she moved to Pakistan?

I am her great granddaughter, I am Hindu (by choice not by birth) and based in Canada. My family is Pakistani originally but we were all born and raised in Canada. I would love to know more about her previous life before marriage and her ancestors. I have a lot of love for my great grandmother’s South Indian culture and Hindu traditions. I use her surname in my name and I am trying my best to learn Tamil and reconnect with this part of my heritage. I hope one day I can find out the truth behind her story.

I wasn’t sure where to ask about this, so I thought this forum might be a good start.

Many thanks!
If you have the native place, sub-sect and gothra that your great-grandma belonged to, the roots can be traced to some extent.

Hi everyone,
Thank you for your replies.
Her name was Yashoda Iyer, she was from Madras (I know it’s called Chennai now). She used to go on vacations to Kerala and Hyderabad with her parents. I’m not sure exactly what her father did, however I think her brother had a post as a station master in Madras’s station. I think her family were followers of Advaita and were very strict with her.
renuka thanks for your reply. Her family were always based in Chennai, she was the only one who moved after meeting my great grandfather and her family did not know about her marriage. They were probably looking for her everywhere as she went missing from their perspective. It’s really quite sad. My gut feeling is that she may have been brainwashed into leaving with him or kidnapped.

Hi everyone,
Her name was Yashoda Iyer, she was from Madras (I know it’s called Chennai now). She used to go on vacations to Kerala and Hyderabad with her parents. I’m not sure exactly what her father did, however I think her brother had a post as a station master in Madras’s station. I think her family were followers of Advaita and were very strict with her.
renuka thanks for your reply. Her family were always based in Chennai, she was the only one who moved after meeting my great grandfather and her family did not know about her marriage. They were probably looking for her everywhere as she went missing from their perspective. It’s really quite sad. My gut feeling is that she may have been brainwashed into leaving with him or kidnapped.
Hi Anjali...
You had mentioned that your great grand dad allowed your great grand mum to practice Hinduism.
If she was brain washed or kidnapped she wouldnt be practicing Hinduism.
Surely she would be practicing only Islam.
Any idea if she was still vegetarian after her marriage?

Your great grand dad must have been a spiritual person too because he didnt stop her from practicing Hinduism.

The place they could have met could be Hyderbad because it has lots of Muslims from North India.
Your grandad was a North Indian Muslim isnt it?

Her name was Yashoda Iyer as you said..I am not too sure about names Tamil Iyers keep, but Yashoda is a name related to Vaishnavaism( name of the foster mother of Shree Krishna)..I am not too sure if its a common name among Iyers back then.

Hi everyone,
hi

The family may be based on palakkad iyer family.....may be some muslim domination of malappuram in

kerala region....may be kerala palakkad iyers....they are more migrated to other places...

Latest ads

Back