• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Food during shannavati

Namaskaaram!

I am a very recent entrant doing Shannavathi over the past 4-5 months. During tharppanam, I follow the same time standard afternoon and only water post tharppanam. I was guided to not consume fruits, etc. at night as the anushttanam for tharppanam should be quite the same as shrardham with no other food before the pithru kaaryam and after the bhojanam.

I used to be able to follow this during mahalaya paksha and amavasya tharppanam days earlier. With blessings from my pitrus and God, I have been able to cross the nights without food and mornings without water. I am also glad I got to know at least in the recent years on how I should follow, after 32-33 years (37 years since my father left his form in this world). The elders in this forum and guidance through Mutt also helped me a lot giving me the strength.

Now with ashttaka, etc. coming up continuously for 3-4 days, I have a query: Is what I am doing with diet correct and advised as a necessity by the shaasthram? My gastroenterologist told me that for any one, fasting for more than a day per week is not advisable even if it includes a one-time meal. I am a bit confused and thiught of getting advise from people who follow the anushttanam to share their experience and knowledge on this area.

Latest ads

Back