• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Drinking too much water can be risky

Status
Not open for further replies.

prasad1

Just to confuse us more:

Excessive water in your system can dilute your body fluids so much that the sodium levels become life-threateningly low.

Water may be the elixir of life, but it sure can send your health into a tailspin, even endanger your life, if you drink too much of it. While packaged water, juice and cola companies hard-sell their thirst-quenchers to you through TV and print advertisements, the truth is that drinking too much water can do you more harm than good.

Due to excessive water consumption, people have died of over-hydration, which goes by the name of Exercise-Associated Hyponatraemia (EAH). In simple terms, it means that you have drank too much water and the excess has diluted your body fluids so much that the sodium levels have become life-threateningly low, causing cells to swell. That includes brain cells leading to loss of consciousness, seizures and even coma and death. For long-distance runners, this can be a particular hazard. With half-marathons and marathons being all the rage, runners while practicing must resist the temptation to tank themselves up with too much water.

Water intoxication is always on the cards if you believe you have to 'stay ahead of thirst' by drinking excessive quantities of fluids. To do so is entirely un-physiological. Drinking more water than you need increases your total blood volume and also pressures you kidneys into working overtime so as to filter excess water out of your circulatory system. It is, however, incredibly rare for someone to die of dehydration in a temperate climate, not even sportsmen who sweat a great deal.

The right way to drink water is on your TV screen. When Tennis legends Roger Federer or Rafael Nadal play five gruelling sets of tennis in the baking sun, sweating profusely, how do they drink? They sip. They may sip at every end change, but they certainly don't gulp. While exercising, you should balance how much water you drink to how much you are sweating out.

All runners should know that over-consumption of fluids, whether it's water or sports drinks, can be fatal. EAH due to excessive hydration has caused at least a dozen deaths worldwide and there have been more than 1,600 documented cases of it around the globe.

The_Times_of_India

Dear Sri. Prasad, Greetings.

That TOI article is slightly misleading. Even amoung sports persons, marathon runners require special requirements. Clubbing examples from that category to the general public is very much almost pre meditated misleading. In general, when the kidneys fail to excrete water, fluid build up can happen; also when lymphatic system is not up to scratch, fluid build up occurs. Otherwise excess water drinking would only lead to frequent trips to urinals. That's all. Body has it's own mechanism to retain minerals in the body.

Here is some info on hyponatremia - Hyponatremia - PubMed Health

Cheers!

So we are advised to drink at least 1 litre a day, some people say 2 litres even. So which is it really?

Hi Amala

Drink only when you are thristy. Main thing is shouldn't drink too much at one time. I would say about max of 300mls at one time.

Regards
Amirtha

An irish, Bernard, went to a pub. He bought a pint of beer, went to the FIR (men) and poured it down. He bought another pint after some time and again went to the FIR (men) and poured down the allotted fixture. He repeated this a few more times. The publican got curious and asked him 'why you do this?' Bernard answered "I hate to be the middleman'

FIR - Gaelic word for toilet.

Dear Members

Here is one water joke

Mr. Charly, a chemistry teacher, decided to instruct his 5th grade class a lesson about the evils of liquor, so he designed an experiment that involved a glass of water, a glass of whiskey, and two worms.
"Now, class, observe closely the worms," said the teacher first putting a worm into the water. The worm in the water writhed about, happy as a worm in water could be. The second worm, he put into the whiskey. It writhed painfully, and it quickly sank to the bottom, dead as a doornail. "Now, what lesson can we derive from this experiment?" the Mr. Charly asked. Little Terry raised his hand and wisely responded, "Drink whiskey and you won't get worms!"

Amirtha

That TOI article is slightly misleading. Even amoung sports persons, marathon runners require special requirements. Clubbing examples from that category to the general public is very much almost pre meditated misleading. In general, when the kidneys fail to excrete water, fluid build up can happen; also when lymphatic system is not up to scratch, fluid build up occurs. Otherwise excess water drinking would only lead to frequent trips to urinals. That's all. Body has it's own mechanism to retain minerals in the body.

Cheers!

Raghy Sir:
I think you judged it right.
The TOI article under consideration does not appear to be a signed article. So, we don't know what the credentials of the contributor are. For all you know, it could have been written by some fledgling journalist with editorial connection, who might have run into a similar article elsewhere.

In the absence of the credentials of the writer, TOI is not a peer-reviewed medical journal.

Last edited:
A few years ago we were ALL advised to drink 6 glasses of water

at one go as soon as we get up in the morning.

It was the cure-all and end-all for every ailment under the Sun.

Since I do yoga the first thing in the mornings and

6 glasses of water will render my tummy (a filled water pot) unfit for yoga,

I drank the water as soon as I finished my exercises.

Can you guess the after effect???

I became light headed and disoriented.
I never ever dared to repeat that water drinking spree! :fear:

Drinking water

Here is my experience about drinking water, that I wish to share. I was 70 when I took my pilgrimage to Gomukh, in the Himalayas. Gomukh is in the snout of the Gangotri Glacier, at 4255 M (13,960 ft), from where Bhagirathi River originates. After completing 14KM trek on the Mule, from Gangothri to 'Bhojbasa' we were asked to continue four KM rough ride of narrow bridle-path on boulders. Walking (jumping) on boulders make the route after 'Bhojbasa' quite difficult. One has to cross a boulder zone to reach near the Gomukh snout. After walking for some distance I felt difficult breathing and became disillusioned, every thing looked different,I could hear the thumping of my heart beat, and the bright reflected sun light, the sound of flowing river added to the confusion. I was feeling thirsty but not bold enough to drink the ice cold water running at my feet. I took rest on the big boulders and some how finished my pilgrimage, with the help of our group.

Well, on my return journey from New Delhi to Bangalore I met a gentleman returning after his training in the Nehru Institute of Mountaineering at Uttarkashi. I explained to him my experience in Gomukh. He told me that the hallucinating experience may be due to dehydration, which happens in such high ranges. And that it was important to drink lot of water while trekking at that height, where oxygen becomes rare.

Nowadays I advise people to drink plenty of water while visiting places of pilgrimage in the Himalayas.

Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Here is my experience about drinking water, that I wish to share. I was 70 when I took my pilgrimage to Gomukh, in the Himalayas. Gomukh is in the snout of the Gangotri Glacier, at 4255 M (13,960 ft), from where Bhagirathi River originates. After completing 14KM trek on the Mule, from Gangothri to 'Bhojbasa' we were asked to continue four KM rough ride of narrow bridle-path on boulders. Walking (jumping) on boulders make the route after 'Bhojbasa' quite difficult. One has to cross a boulder zone to reach near the Gomukh snout. After walking for some distance I felt difficult breathing and became disillusioned, every thing looked different,I could hear the thumping of my heart beat, and the bright reflected sun light, the sound of flowing river added to the confusion. I was feeling thirsty but not bold enough to drink the ice cold water running at my feet. I took rest on the big boulders and some how finished my pilgrimage, with the help of our group.

Well, on my return journey from New Delhi to Bangalore I met a gentleman returning after his training in the Nehru Institute of Mountaineering at Uttarkashi. I explained to him my experience in Gomukh. He told me that the hallucinating experience may be due to dehydration, which happens in such high ranges. And that it was important to drink lot of water while trekking at that height, where oxygen becomes rare.

Nowadays I advise people to drink plenty of water while visiting places of pilgrimage in the Himalayas.

Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Isn't strange the the glaring Sun as well as

the icy cold snow can both leave us dehydrated?

In the case of the Sun we will be aware of the dehydration

but no one will associate it with the snow and ice!

Cheers!
dear raghy !
thanks for giving details about HYPONATREMIA/pubmed which is more informative.
guruvayurappan

So we are advised to drink at least 1 litre a day, some people say 2 litres even. So which is it really?
dear amala !
your body will tell how much you want .as Renuka ji says moderation is the key and quantity may vary from person to person and the climate condition and physical activity .
guruvayurappan

Drinking Water

Isn't strange the the glaring Sun as well as
the icy cold snow can both leave us dehydrated?
In the case of the Sun we will be aware of the dehydration
but no one will associate it with the snow and ice!

Dear Mrs. Visalakshi Ramani,

I had the same doubts in my mind.
Later when I read articles on this subject, I came to know this condition is called Acute Mountain Sickness (AMS) or Altitude Sickness and it occurs when you travel in high attitudes above 10,000ft.

A few lines to help others who go on trekking pilgrimages in The Himalayas.

Acute mountain sickness is due to a combination of reduced air pressure and lower oxygen levels at high altitudes.The causes of altitude sickness are not fully understood. When we move away from MSL up into higher altitudes air pressure gets lowered. Air at lower pressure has less oxygen per lungful. At lower air pressure, water evaporates faster. This can lead to dehydration. Dehydration due to the higher rate of water vapour lost from the lungs at higher altitudes may contribute to the symptoms of altitude sickness. Easy way to prevent altitude sickness is to give the body enough time to get used to the rarefied air. A slow and steady ascent is help a lot. Adequate hydration is a must. The body is constantly losing fluid from the lungs and the skin in the high, dry environment. Drink enough to maintain a clear and abundant urine output. Other measures include eating a high carbohydrate diet, climbing high during the day and coming lower down to sleep, and to mild to moderate activity during the day rather than just lying around are suggested to keep the body fit.

Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

dear sir !
nice post . in our school days we read ,why pulse cooking is delayed in mountain or higher altitude area ? it is because of boiling point increased .
Am i correct ?
guruvayurappan

When we take flights for long hours, we are advised to take more fluids. God given water is the best since it does not contain sugar!

Here is one interesting information similar to the one that Sri. Brahmanyan has posted.

"High Altitude Water Loss

The atmospheric conditions at high altitudes include lower air pressure and less oxygen. The reduced amount of oxygen usually equates to

drier air, which can lead to dehydration. To prevent this, you need to drink water before you feel thirsty, since you may already be on the road

to dehydration before your body senses the need for fluids. This is especially true for older people, because the ability to detect dehydration

diminishes with age. Drinking extra water at high altitudes will keep you hydrated."

Read more: Why Do You Need To Drink A Lot Of Water At A High Altitude? | LIVESTRONG.COM

nice post . in our school days we read ,why pulse cooking is delayed in mountain or higher altitude area ? it is because of boiling point increased .
Higher altitude decreases the boiling point of water. Boiling point is defined as the point at which the vapour pressure of the

substance above the liquid is equal to the external atmospheric pressure. Since the external atmospheric pressure is lower at

higher altitudes, a lower vapour pressure of water is required for water to boil and therefore a lower temperature is required to

achieve the desired vapour pressure.

Read more:
What effcet does altitude have on boiling point of water

Cooking might be delayed at higher altitudes where there is less pressure because the water would inately be cooler and require more heat. :flame:

images
images

images
images

The air in the high altitudes will not only be rarer but also drier. All the water vapor will be used up in forming the ice or snow. So the threefold factors, less oxygen, less air pressure and less humidity must be causing this unseen and latent dehydration.

There is a cog-wheeled train ride to the peak of Pike mountain in Colorado. It takes 3 and 1/2 hours for the round trip. The ascent is at snail speed and takes 90 minutes. We are allowed 30 minutes for sight seeing. Then the slow descent follows.

In spite of all these precautions, my husband would not take this ride. His heart jumps every time he sees the altitude shown in the GPS. Mind can play many tricks too. So we thought it was wiser to skip the fun filled ride.

PIKES PEAK - AMERICA'S MOUNTAIN

The most visited mountain in North America and the second most visited mountain in the world behind Japan's Mount Fuji,
Pikes Peak forms a stunning backdrop for Colorado Springs and the Garden of the Gods. At an altitude of 14,110 feet above sea level, Pikes Peak is the 31st highest peak out of 54 Colorado peaks. It is the farthest east of the big peaks in the Rocky Mountain chain, which contributed to its early fame among explorers, pioneers and immigrants and made it the symbol of the 1859 Gold Rush to Colorado with the slogan, "Pikes Peak or Bust".
Over a half million people reach the summit house every year by the Pikes Peak Highway, many of whom take the
Pikes Peak Cog Railway. The 19-mile Pikes Peak Highway, paved part of the way, is open year round, weather permitting. Barr Trail is the longest of any trails leading to the top of the 54 mountains in Colorado that are over 14,000 feet, and offers the greatest base-to-summit elevation gain in the state: 7,400 feet. About 15,000 people a year attempt to climb Pikes Peak on foot. The 13-mile trail begins at the base of Pikes Peak in Manitou Springs. The 8.9 mile cog railroad typically operates April through December.

Courtesy: Pike's Peak facts.

images
images
images

In Arizona, a desert area, the air we breathe is so dry that it can make the nose bleed as if cut by a sharp blade.

In Colorado the air is so thin and dry to the high altitude that nose bleeds due to dry air slicing through the nose.

The God given a/c unit present if our nose is NOT able to cope up with the situation.

So people use humidifiers. These produce COOL water vapor without actually boiling the water.

Since there will be unit in every bedroom I get free supply of the moisture from the other rooms.
Man sure knows how to handle any situation! :clap2:

The boiling point of a liquid depend on the external pressure.

At the boiling point of a liquid its vapor pressure becomes equal to the external pressure.

Lower the external pressure lower will be the boiling point.

Higher the external pressure higher will be the boiling point.

That is why in the pressure cooker the cooking become faster and more efficient.

The boiling point may be as high as 120 degrees Celsius instead of the usual 100 degree Celsius.

This is certainly an advantage while cooking but disadvantage if there is an accident.

The super hot steam and water can scald a person real bad. :fear:

Higher altitude decreases the boiling point of water. Boiling point is defined as the point at which the vapour pressure of the

substance above the liquid is equal to the external atmospheric pressure. Since the external atmospheric pressure is lower at

higher altitudes, a lower vapour pressure of water is required for water to boil and therefore a lower temperature is required to

achieve the desired vapour pressure.

Read more:
What effcet does altitude have on boiling point of water

Cooking might be delayed at higher altitudes where there is less pressure because the water would inately be cooler and require more heat. :flame:

images
images
images

The increased air pressure increases the boiling point.

But strangely it decreases the melting point.

Ice under pressure has its melting point lowered below zero degree Celsius.

So the zero degree will be higher than the current melting point and make the ice melt.

It is this strange property that make the ice skating, figure skating, ice hockey and other such activities possible.

There will be a thin film of water under the feet of the player or skater allowing him/her to glide gracefully.

The moment he /she moves on, the water will get frozen but a fresh film of water will be formed under the feet

always.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back