• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Cow or Mridhamgam - which is important

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sudeshwer

Next time you attend a Carnatic Music concert you are going to have uneasy feelings looking at the Mridangam player.
Do you know the instrument is mainly made of cow’s hide, that too of young healthy cows, specially chosen and slaughtered ? What will happen if cow-slaughter is banned?

We use leather in our garments, luggage, and furniture. All gelatin is derived from bones. There are so many hidden use of animal product in our food. I am vegetarian and it bothers me. If i wanted to be pure vegan it will be inconvenient to so many people, so I have to compromise. Life is a compromise.
Try to do as little harm to the environment as possible.

Next time you attend a Carnatic Music concert you are going to have uneasy feelings looking at the Mridangam player.
Do you know the instrument is mainly made of cow’s hide, that too of young healthy cows, specially chosen and slaughtered ? What will happen if cow-slaughter is banned?
dear sir !
we need not get it only by slaughtering.We can get it natural death occurs.
guruvayurappan.

We use leather in our garments, luggage, and furniture. All gelatin is derived from bones. There are so many hidden use of animal product in our food. I am vegetarian and it bothers me. If i wanted to be pure vegan it will be inconvenient to so many people, so I have to compromise. Life is a compromise.
Try to do as little harm to the environment as possible.
dear sir !
that is why it is said that we should not probe the origin of the rivers and rishis ,i think !
when you are asked to count vadas ,you are not expected to count the holes
cheers,
guruvayurappan

Mrs. Rajiji,
Sometimes I happy that some of the so called "rationalist" have left the forum.
In the name of honesty they used to heap so much negativity about India, Indians, and Hindus.
The thread you referred to bring back the memory of those days of constant battles. LOL

Satyam vada: Speak the truth, but a caution may be added not to speak unpleasanttruth. (Satyam Bruyat, Priyam Bruyat na Bruyat Asatyam Apriyam) All that you speakmust be truth but you do not have to say all that is true

dear sir !
that is why it is said that we should not probe the origin of the rivers and rishis ,i think !
when you are asked to count vadas ,you are not expected to count the holes
cheers,
guruvayurappan

Of course, what is disturbing must be shoved under the rug--right? Turn a blind eye and a deaf ear. Everything will be hunky dory. Whether you count vaDai or the toLai (hole) it is all the same so long as each vaDai has one toLai. Sometimes some vaDais have more than one toLai or a giant-sized toLai. That is where the problem is.

Mr. Mahakaviji,

Mr. Guruvayurappan, said the right thing.
I suppose what you do in your bedroom, other than sleeping is known to all of us. But we keep it behind closed doors for decorum. If you do that in public, you are called culture less, and may end up in jail. Yes there are some facts that are better unsaid.

Like I said in my post#7 above.

Last edited:
if electronic mridhangam then no person is reqd; it can operate itself. in that case, vocalist could be also a robot. violin, let me think

p20506.jpg

DRUM PAD. (Picture courtesy - Google images)

Drum pad is effectively used in place of Mridhangam. I heard a veena concert of Smt. Jayanthi Kumaresh with an artist with

a drum pad, as an accompaniment. Similar research might find a replacement for the mridhangam sound. Electronic tabla is

available but it can not play 'theermAnams' which add beauty to the rhythm. (We have to set the ThALam and then sing / play

an instrument - I have one with me!!) IMHO, manual play is THE BEST, any day! :thumb:

Fiberglass mridhangams are available but the quality is not as good as the original! More research may find a better solution.

Please watch this video - demo of Tilak Mridhangam:

Tilak Mrdanga - YouTube

All are gentlemen when the lights are on!. In this birth whatever you do will be instant sin or distant sin. That is why you have to ask for "Moksha" in your prayer. But the number of people to sincerely ask for 'moksha" will be handsful! Rest would ask "then who will commit sins?"

I understand "instant sin". But what is "distant sin"? Do you mean the sins committed by our forefathers? There is a saying "mAtA pitA pAvam makkaL taliyilE". Is that what you are referring to?

I have been working on a hypothesis as to how the sins committed by someone would affect his posterity. The sins normally go with the souls. How do they know to tag on to the bodies of the posterity of the sinner? Karma might attach itself to the soul (according to Hindu and Bhuddist beliefs) and then on to the bodies occupied by that soul. But affecting posterity is a stretch even on the karma theory.

There is a burgeoning field called Epigenetics which explains certain diseases caused by silencing certain genes. But that should happen to the same person in his current birth. For example, if you commit a sin it might make changes around some of your genes and cause some disease down the road. Then if you reproduce the modification might affect your offspring too. But if your grandfather or father committed a sin after ​you were born then this does not apply to you.

Iyya & Mahakavi,
I am not trying to be argumentative, but what is sin in Hinduism?

Both 'punyam' and 'papam' can be considered as 'karma phala' – the results or fruit of action.

“The Vedanta recognizes no sin it only recognizes error. And the greatest error, says the Vedanta is to say that you are weak, that you are a sinner, a miserable creature, and that you have no power and you cannot do this and that.”
Swami Vivekananda quotes (Indian Spiritual leader of the Hindu religion (Vedanta). Disciple of the famous 19th century mystic-saint Sri Ramakrishna of Calcutta. Founder of the Ramakrishna Order of Monks. 1863-1902)

The words "sin" and "virtue" are somewhat alien to the spirit of Vedanta philosophy, because they necessarily foster a sense of possessiveness with regard to thought and action. If we say, "I am good," or "I am bad," we are only talking with the language of Maya. "I am Brahman" is the only true statement any of us can make.

No.14
Mr Mahakavi says ' if your grandfather or father committed a sin after ​you were born then this does not apply to you'. well, am I misunderstanding the situation!! normally, it is said what we do as parents will affect our children

No.14
Mr Mahakavi says ' if your grandfather or father committed a sin after ​you were born then this does not apply to you'. well, am I misunderstanding the situation!! normally, it is said what we do as parents will affect our children

In Hinduism as well as in the Bible, it is believed that the sins of the parents are visited upon the children. In Exodus, chapter 20 verse 5 it says, "For I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sins of the fathers to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me". In that case the sin was construed to be worshiping another God, In Hinduism a sin has much broader definition. It is only given as a dictum that the sins of the parents will affect the posterity. The edict was probably given as a deterrent against committing sins.

When I said the sins of the parents committed after you were born will not affect you, it was from a scientific basis I cited. It is too involved to go into the details here. My point was that if somebody committed a murder (call it a sin) and got away with it his conscience would still bother him and might generate chemical entities in the body (such as hormones) which would modify certain genes such as silencing them. That might cause some diseases such as cancer. There are what are known as tumor suppressor genes which go to work to prevent the occurrence of cancer. When those genes are silenced then cancer will occur. If the person committed murder, he might face such consequences himself. But all that modification would perish with him if he does not produce offspring after committing the sin. That was my conjecture. There is no way the gene modification would take place through the soul as Hinduism envisions. It has got to be a somatic (cellular) function. Sorry if it sounds highly technical, because it is.

Last edited:
p20506.jpg

DRUM PAD. (Picture courtesy - Google images)

Drum pad is effectively used in place of Mridhangam. I heard a veena concert of Smt. Jayanthi Kumaresh with an artist with

a drum pad, as an accompaniment. Similar research might find a replacement for the mridhangam sound. Electronic tabla is

available but it can not play 'theermAnams' which add beauty to the rhythm. (We have to set the ThALam and then sing / play

an instrument - I have one with me!!) IMHO, manual play is THE BEST, any day! :thumb:

Fiberglass mridhangams are available but the quality is not as good as the original! More research may find a better solution.

Please watch this video - demo of Tilak Mridhangam:

Tilak Mrdanga - YouTube
just like ivrs one day tilak mridagam may be improved to reproduce the near original miruthangam sound with electronic attachment
guruvayurappan

1272015834_89486141_1-Pictures-of--Electronic-Tabla-Radel-DIGI-60-1272015834.jpg

Picture courtesy: Google images.

This is the electronic tabla which I have mentioned. The sound is excellent and we can set to any sruthi, any tALam and

any speed. But the 'theermAnams' are NOT possible! The mridhangam pad could be a better solution since a person plays it!

If the Tilak mridhangam is modified to produce mridhangam sound, it may NOT need any electronic attachment.

so, banning of cow slaughter is ok. mridhangam will not be disappeared. thanks

If we are discussing whether the use of leather (killing of animals) will amount to a sin, then the subject is a vast one. Not only all the percussion instruments use skin of some animal or other, but also our sages and even Gods seem to have used skins of animals like tiger and deer for covering and seating purposes. We ourselves use leather products aplenty in our daily life.

Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

If we are discussing whether the use of leather (killing of animals) will amount to a sin, then the subject is a vast one. Not only all the percussion instruments use skin of some animal or other, but also our sages and even Gods seem to have used skins of animals like tiger and deer for covering and seating purposes. We ourselves use leather products aplenty in our daily life.

Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Dear sir,

From what I have read Sages only used skin of tigers and deer that had died a natural death and not killed specifically for making a seat.

Leather and silk are avoided by many people as a personal choice.
Even for cars seats somepeople only use Non Leather seats.

Insulin and the shining silver papaer covering sweets are derived from animals.

Insulin and the shining silver papaer covering sweets are derived from animals.
Silver foils are not non vegetarian but they are MADE, using the intestine of animals. Please read this:

"The silver foils are not very expensive. They are sold by weight. Ordinarily, you can buy a packet of 160 foils for a price

between Rs.100 to 200. That is, approximately one rupee per foil. Not only the sweets, now a days it is also applied on fruits.

Some Ayurvedic medicines also are wrapped in silver foils.

They are made by hammering thin sheets of silver in middle of booklets made of a bull's intestines. In other words, after

slaughtering a bull, quickly his intestines are removed, and sold to the manufacturers of foils. The skins made of old intestines

are of no use. Even one-day-old intestines can not be used, because within a few hours they stiffen.

The foil manufacturer removes blood and stools from the intestines, and cuts them into pieces. Then he puts one piece over

another, making a booklet out of it. At his home, or in the factory, he puts one silver (or gold) sheet in-between each page.

Then he hammers it hard until those metal sheets turn into thin wafers.

The intestines of bulls are so strong, that even repeated hammering do not destroy them, or they do not let the foils move

around inside. Because of the hammering, some tissues of the intestine mix with the foils. After that the foil manufacturer

sells the bundle of foils to the sweets manufacturers. Some small foil manufacturers sell the foils to the temples.

This foil is not only dirty, it also is non-vegetarian. Even the meat-eaters do not eat intestines. Use of these foils turn even

sweets into non-vegetarian food. A few years ago the Indian Airlines learned about this, and since then stopped using them

on the sweets served in their planes.

Now-a-days, machine made silver foils are available. Here is the link:

About Varakh - :: Welcome to Silver Foils :: :thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back