• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Dr U Ve Sa award for tamil scholars

Status
Not open for further replies.
அந்தக் காலத்தில் பிராமணர் எதிர்ப்பு எவ்வாறு உருவானது என்பதை கீழ்காணும் வலைத் தளம் விரிவாக எடுத்துறைக்கிறது. அதுபோல் உ.வே.சா அவர்களை பிராமணர் என்பதால் அவர்கள் எவ்வாறு புறக்கணித்தார்கள் என்பதையும் விவரிக்கும் இந்த கட்டுறை...

http://www.tamilhindu.com/2012/04/high-ranking-posts-and-cheap-mentalities/

nice link. Tamil Hindu is doing a great service by writing/publishing hard hitting articles.I am a regular reader of that site.

a tribute to Dr U Ve Sa. nicely written.

U Ve Swaminatha Iyer - A Tribute

My Musings: U Ve Swaminatha Iyer - A Tribute

A TRIBUTE to The Patriarch of Tamil.

This morning, let me talk about the TAMIZH THATHA, Sri UV Swaminatha Iyer. A tribute, on his 150th birth anniversary.

The original texts of a number of literary works of the Sangam period (1st and 2nd Century AD) came to public notice only towards the end of the 19th century, when they appeared in print form. Until then, works such as Aymperum Kaappiyangal (the five great epics) – Silappathikaram, Manimekalai, Kundalakesi, Jeevaka Chintamani, and Valaiyapathi were in the form of palm leaf manuscripts in the possession of scores of families living across Tamilnadu and outside. They didn’t have the skill to read the manuscripts, and, therefore, did not realize the literary worth. The palm leafs were allowed to rot.

The need to hunt for the missing palm leaf manuscripts and bring to light the hidden treasure of Tamil literature was deeply felt. Foremost among those who undertook this formidable task was Mahamahopadhyaya Uttamadhanapuram Venkatasubbaiyer Swaminatha Iyer (1855-1942), popularly known as “Tamizh thaththaa”. His 150th birth anniversary was celebrated on Feb 19th.

He undertook long journeys inside and outside Tamilnadu to collect the manuscripts. With objectivity of a scientist, and the imagination of an artist and critic, he studied all these manuscripts. Starting with Jeevaka Chintamani in 1887, he printed and published Manimekalai (1888), Silappathikaram (1889), Paththupaattu (1889) and Purananooru (1894), all appended with scholarly commentaries.

He was born in 1855 into a poor Brahmin family at Uthamadhanapuram near Kumbakonam. Though his father wanted him to become a musician, the young Swaminathan took to Tamil literature and learnt Tamil under the scholar Meenakshisundaram Pillai at Thiruvavaduthurai.

He served as a Tamil teacher for 23 years in Kumbakonam college, then he joined the Presidency College, Chennai in 1903. He died on April 28, 1942.

Even when he was a teacher in Kumbakonam, his long search for the original texts of ancient literary works began. It was a search that lasted until his death. Many people voluntarily parted with the manuscripts in their possession. Swaminatha Iyer visited almost every hamlet and knocked at every door. (Recently in Feb 2005, when I read Raa ki Rangarajan describing in detail how UVS used to go to villages after villages whatever the weather and his own health and financial conditions were, I was so moved that I couldn’t control my tears)

As a result, a large number of palm leafs finally saw the light of the day. In a span of about 50 years, Swaminatha Iyer published about 100 books. “What Swaminatha Iyer did was to edit and publish these works with detailed footnotes, commentaries, and indices”, observed Ki Vaa Jagannathan, another Tamil scholar, “All this is evidence of not only the scholarship of the editor but also the hard work he had put on.”

But for the Tamizh thaththaa, most of the Tamil literature would have been eaten away by termites and lost for ever. None could have read Silappathikarn, Purananooru and such great Tamil works.

In any other country such a person would have been deified into immortality. He would have been honoured with the Nobel Prize also, had he been born anywhere except Tamilnadu. But, in Tamilnadu, where one hears the hoarse shouts of “Engum Tamizh, Ethilum Tamizh” from petty politicians, he has been conveniently sidelined by the Dravidian culture – just because of that IYER tag!

My respectful tribute and homage to this Grand Old Man of Tamil.

Rajappa
21 March 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back