• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The foremost "Iyengar" preacher is DA Joseph..says a lot about "Vaishnavism"!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
They say there are 3 brands of Iyengars..Vadakalai..Thenkalai.....and Yechakalai...hahaha.. When their chief preacher is DA Joseph, who is not even an NB, it speaks volumes about Iyengars' sorry plight!!

this is disgusting!! there is no need to insult a community. if you have something to elaborate re DA Joseph, please do so. but no need to denigrate a community.

Ashwin'
I find you are an Amateur in the profile.In your posting also you are showing the same.Mind your Language.
Alwan

And you want to advertise you belong to the third group, HAHAHAHAA!;)

I'm glad you're including me in the third group, but just letting you know I'm not Iyengar..don't understand why Iyengars are reacting like Muslims to defend their exclusive faith which excludes diversity (they believe in one god, and all other deities are poisonous), but actively seeks converts from other faiths...
:laugh:

I'm glad you're including me in the third group, but just letting you know I'm not Iyengar..don't understand why Iyengars are reacting like Muslims to defend their exclusive faith which excludes diversity (they believe in one god, and all other deities are poisonous), but actively seeks converts from other faiths...

Ashwin,

Sri.Sangom doen't say you are an iyengar. He just says you are an yechakalai. I think so too. Hope you get it now.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Here is the bio data of D.A.Joseph and it doesn't mention he belongs to Ashwin's third brand of Iyengars.D.A.Joseph 's Website
Seems to be a follower and an appreciator of SV. Pretty much confined or focused around the Dieties and Bhakti, Belief part. Although this appears quite different from the precedents and trend, nothing however appears to help qualify or substantiate the 'foremost' or "preacher" claims of the OP.

Ashwin Ash,

The idea of one God above all other Gods is not found in Vaishavism alone. It is present in Saiva cultures also. As also in Shakta culture where Devi is the most supreme.

Dunno if you have delved into history of religion, to understand how various sectarian groups were formed, each owing allegiance to a primary deity. And how various groups were amalgamated over a period of time also.

I suppose you are aware that Mahabharata grew in bulk with various chapters being added over time. The period of composition of various Mahabharat chapters is crucial in understanding which sectarian cultures or cults were formed (or became dominant) at which time periods.

Contrary to what you say, Vaisampayana refers to the Sankhya, Yoga, Pancharatra, Pasupata, and also the Vedic school, to show that Narayana was the chief object of devotion in all these diverse cultures. But cults seperated out and each assigned a particular God as supreme during the Mahabharat composition period.

The history of Bhagavatism shows plenty of diversity, and absorption of people into their faith. As in the case of other beleif systems, unfortunately, this system also became classist (class conscious).

Its not a good idea to shoot off comments without atleast some amount of background study.

Regards.

This is the faulty understanding of most sects/hindu faiths regd. Sri Vaishanavism. All the vaishnava precedents-alwars/philosophers have even considered Rudra/Shiva as Sarvagnyan - omniscient (of his lOkAs). Mahabharata considers Shiva as a Vaishnava, "Vaishnavaanaam yatha shumbuh (Srimad Bhagavatam 12.13.16)".

The message of Vedas
is that Brahman is Only one, all others (selves/jivas) are His body. The jivas themselves are classified as many , according to their powers/qualities/wisdom. Thus, we have powerful jIvas called dEvatAs/gods, who rule their own universe(s)/lOkAs, obtained thru severe penances. Some of the gods, are the ruler of the lOkAs and gods and are very powerful. Thus, these gods are also Lords of many other gods/jivas/creation, like the CEOs, CIO,s etc. Thus dis-respecting/de-meaning anyone of them, is offensive to them as well as the Brahman (nArAyanA). But, the followers of those gods were criticized for showing dvEsham/offense to Perumal/nArAyanA and mocking their gods as the Supreme Person is contrary to even Maha-nArAyana Upanishad (Taittriya ShiskshAvalli/Vedic Learning), where every God is to be prayed to from the Agni (lowest) to other gods (Rudra/Ganapati/Durga/Garuda etc.) and Vishnua s the highest, to attain that Brahman/NArayanA (as their Supreme Self) . Each god has own powers to bestow for the welfare and bliss of the jivas, so the followers can progress to the next level.

'tat purushAya vidhmahE , mahAdEvAya dhEmahi | thanO rudra: prachOdhayAth||' - We meditate upon Purusha (nArAyanA), for that purpose, we meditate on MahadEvA, May Rudra prompt us for that meditation.

The above verse can be replaced with these for prayer on the other gods: (which became the 'gayathri's)
vakrathuNdAya, dhanthi: ; suvarna-pakshAya (garuda), garuda: ; durga, durghi: ,

so does varuna, agni, bhumi, vayu shower bliss on me, who am desirous of gaining ParamAtman.

In the same Upanishad and Rg.veda 9-96, Brahma devanAm pathavi (position) and hence the vibhUti/creation of the Lord. May that omniscient Rudra, who casts glances on Hiranyagarbha, the frist born, as "may this become the greatest of all" unite us with an auspicious mind, for that highest goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back