• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Purattasi Sani

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Today is Purattasi Sani. Can anyone tell me the significance of Purattasi Sani? How many times a year does it occur and what is the big deal about it?

In my own family, i doubt my mother is aware of it. Maybe looking at the tamil calendar it will say but other than that its just another day for us. My landlady however is pure vegetarian (she is SL tamil and hence not tb) today, cleaned the house prayed and it seems to be a big deal.

Also is this Purattasi Sani acknowledged by other non-tamil communities? What is it called in Hindi for example?

Thanks.

Hi,

Today is Purattasi Sani. Can anyone tell me the significance of Purattasi Sani? How many times a year does it occur and what is the big deal about it?

In my own family, i doubt my mother is aware of it. Maybe looking at the tamil calendar it will say but other than that its just another day for us. My landlady however is pure vegetarian (she is SL tamil and hence not tb) today, cleaned the house prayed and it seems to be a big deal.

Also is this Purattasi Sani acknowledged by other non-tamil communities? What is it called in Hindi for example?

Thanks.

Dear Amala,

Purattasi is the name of a month in Tamil Callender that falls after Aavani. AFAI know, today is the last day of Aavani and Purattasi month begins from tomorrow. If I am right today is not the first day of Purattasi.

Purattasi month similar to Maazhgazhi (Mid December to Mid January), is the month for Special Poojas/Aaradhanas in temples. Especially to Vishnu. This is the month when Special Aaradhana's/Maha Utsavams are done for Tirupathi Balaji.

As well, the day of Saturday would be considered the most Auspecious in this month of Purattasi as the day is associated with Mahavishnu. Worship of Mahavishnu and Anjaneyar is generally done in this day in any month. This Purattasi month been dedicated in reverence of Mahavishnu, special care been taken towards cleaniliness of house, avoiding non.veg food (by nv. eaters) etc..etc..in dedication of God. During this month on Saturdays many keep Vratham for Saneeswarar as the ruler of Saturday.

Purattasi month is called as Ashwin Month by North Indians. I am not sure if they too consider this Ashwin month something special to dedicate to any specific God, expressign their reverence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back