• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Sankalpam for North America

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello

I live in USA and try to follow our religious festivals and rituals as much as I can. I noticed that the sankalpam in the temple or during ceremonies are different like they dont say Baratha Kande instead Aingara Kande, missisipi Nadhi theere etc. So I would like to know what is the right way to say the sankalpam..for Peoria or Bloomington in Illinois.

Thanks a bunch in advance

Hello

I live in USA and try to follow our religious festivals and rituals as much as I can. I noticed that the sankalpam in the temple or during ceremonies are different like they dont say Baratha Kande instead Aingara Kande, missisipi Nadhi theere etc. So I would like to know what is the right way to say the sankalpam..for Peoria or Bloomington in Illinois.

hi kumar,
generally prescibed sankalpams are only for india.....not for any other than bharata kande....but we follow in USA ...america kande..

illonois pradeshe...bloomington nagaryam ....anthargathe.....my 2 cents

Hello

According to our Shastras, the moment a brahmin crosses the ocean, he becomes impure and ineligible to do any "vaideeka karma"; he is like a person ostracized from the braahmana caste.

Manusmriti (Chapter 3, verse 158) lays down clearly the rules - if a Brahmin crossed the ocean, he is to be denied a Shraaddha. Such an offender is grouped with prisoners, sellers of soma, one who eats food given by the son of an adulteress, a bard, an oilman or a perjurer.

However these rules formally applied only to the three higher castes and thus the lower ones (Shudras, Panchamas) were allowed to cross the seas.

But the Hindu religion being what it is, the maxim "தடியெடுத்தவன் தண்டக்காரன் (taṭiyeṭuttavaṉ taṇṭakkāraṉ )", meaning, one who takes (possesses) the laathi is the punishing authority, rules and since the persons earn a lot of money abroad as generally compared to those working in India, our purohits (vaadhyaars) also willingly go to US and other foreign countries and do service to people there.

If only we had authorities like mathams who could have control over our "vaideekans" the people residing abroad will have to return to Indian shores, perform the expiatory rights for having committed the sin of crossing the ocean and then only they will become "adhikāri" (eligible) for performing even sandhyaavandan.

That is the reason I am sometimes wonder-struck at the notion of some of the foreign-based TBs in posing as though they are all following the real brahman way of life, swearing by the Hindu scriptures while, at the same time, flouting the injunctions merrily, which considers such people as equal to Shudras or Panchamas.

In the light of the above the question of any "samkalpa" in a foreign land simply does not arise, imho.

It hurts but I accept the reality

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and rulings. It hurts but I accept the reality. We have for reasons and by the forces of almighty went to overseas in addition to our own career choices. Having said that we who live here have some wonderful temples in Chicago and Lemont where they perform religious services to our satisfaction and we derive peace of mind. I know nothing is like the original, its like getting a step mother who treats like her own son and take care of our welfare, still she will not be the same mother who gave birth to us. Yet one will end up doing sradha for her, right? same way we try to adopt US as the current mother land and try to perform the duties with the same fervor and mindset...As I said before the temples here give us a flavor of our culture and I know we participate with the same fervor for Pradosham, or the chanting of Rudram/Chamgam; recently in Nebraska they conducted Maha rudra japam and so many people took their personal vacation, traveled to be part of it. I think I would rather take the punishment of doing the sradha for my parents in USA than not doing it all; I have been part of it whenever I visit India and kind of wondering how sincere the sastrigals were - while chanting the mantra he keeps getting calls in his cell phone that rings - Mangalyam Thanthunane.... or the nagaswaram tone of getti melam. Again I apologize if this reply is not well received. Thanks again Sir for your time to respond

with due respects

According to our Shastras, the moment a brahmin crosses the ocean, he becomes impure and ineligible to do any "vaideeka karma"; he is like a person ostracized from the braahmana caste.

Manusmriti (Chapter 3, verse 158) lays down clearly the rules - if a Brahmin crossed the ocean, he is to be denied a Shraaddha. Such an offender is grouped with prisoners, sellers of soma, one who eats food given by the son of an adulteress, a bard, an oilman or a perjurer.

However these rules formally applied only to the three higher castes and thus the lower ones (Shudras, Panchamas) were allowed to cross the seas.

But the Hindu religion being what it is, the maxim "தடியெடுத்தவன் தண்டக்காரன் (taṭiyeṭuttavaṉ taṇṭakkāraṉ )", meaning, one who takes (possesses) the laathi is the punishing authority, rules and since the persons earn a lot of money abroad as generally compared to those working in India, our purohits (vaadhyaars) also willingly go to US and other foreign countries and do service to people there.

If only we had authorities like mathams who could have control over our "vaideekans" the people residing abroad will have to return to Indian shores, perform the expiatory rights for having committed the sin of crossing the ocean and then only they will become "adhikāri" (eligible) for performing even sandhyaavandan.

That is the reason I am sometimes wonder-struck at the notion of some of the foreign-based TBs in posing as though they are all following the real brahman way of life, swearing by the Hindu scriptures while, at the same time, flouting the injunctions merrily, which considers such people as equal to Shudras or Panchamas.

In the light of the above the question of any "samkalpa" in a foreign land simply does not arise, imho.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and rulings. It hurts but I accept the reality. We have for reasons and by the forces of almighty went to overseas in addition to our own career choices. Having said that we who live here have some wonderful temples in Chicago and Lemont where they perform religious services to our satisfaction and we derive peace of mind. I know nothing is like the original, its like getting a step mother who treats like her own son and take care of our welfare, still she will not be the same mother who gave birth to us. Yet one will end up doing sradha for her, right? same way we try to adopt US as the current mother land and try to perform the duties with the same fervor and mindset...As I said before the temples here give us a flavor of our culture and I know we participate with the same fervor for Pradosham, or the chanting of Rudram/Chamgam; recently in Nebraska they conducted Maha rudra japam and so many people took their personal vacation, traveled to be part of it. I think I would rather take the punishment of doing the sradha for my parents in USA than not doing it all; I have been part of it whenever I visit India and kind of wondering how sincere the sastrigals were - while chanting the mantra he keeps getting calls in his cell phone that rings - Mangalyam Thanthunane.... or the nagaswaram tone of getti melam. Again I apologize if this reply is not well received. Thanks again Sir for your time to respond

with due respects

Shri Kumar,

Thank you for your thoughtful and polite reply. It is not that I am against our people going abroad for a better livelihood or anything like that. But when the talk is about "vaidika" topics, don't you think it is necessary to abide by the very rules which the sources for those vaidika rites lay down, which are the dharmasastras? That was the only point which I wanted to bring home. Please do not take it otherwise.

Of course, I feel amused when people living abroad say that they are trying to live as "orthodox" brahmins in foreign countries, and also start defending religion, god etc., most vehemently in this forum, because the very concept of the "dvija" (twice-born) is inapplicable to foreign lands. It is more amusing to see some parents coming all the way from US/Europe, etc., to perform the "upanayanam" of their sons here in India in a lavish style, spending huge amounts of money. The only benefit they probably get out of this is perhaps a certain standing and recognition in their TB society here back home. Otherwise, it is tantamount to doing "poonal" for an ineligible boy (such as a Shudra, as per the Shastras).

I will be happy if this essential contradiction and hypocrisy of "brahminism" is recognised by the TBs by birth, who have gone abroad. Let us at least be honest to our conscience and admit that we are first and foremost seekers of better fortunes and our allegience to the vedas, scriptures and "brahmin" concept takes back seat when it comes to the choice of making a better life in terms of creature comforts and savings.

I also apologize if my words are unpalatable to you or to any other reader.

If I am to believe in Mahavakyas do I really care about these mundane and utterly useless (to me) vidhis.
I am Tamil Brahmin by birth only, I can identify culturally with most the members here in this site, but beyond that I live by my principles.

Thank you.... I found in another website the below sankalpam by Chandra Sekhara Bodapati:

Verbatim "Puja Sankalpam in USA.

Sri maha vishnu raagnaya, pravarta manasya, aadya brahmanaha, dwiteeya parardhe, sweta varaha kalpe, vivaswata manwantare, kaliyuge, pradhama paade, KROWNCHA (land of Eagle) dweepe, Ramanaka Varshe, Indra khande (emipre of Indra), Ramyaka Paschimadese (western country), Sapta samudrantare (w.r.t Lord Shiva on Mount Kailash in Himalayas) Samastha devata, brahmana, hari harada sannidhow, asmin vartamana, vyawaharika chandra maanena _____ samvathsare, Uttara aayane (Jan 14 - July 13) or Dakshin aayane (July 14 - Jan 13), _____ ruthow (season), _____ mase (month), Sukla (1day - amavasya) or Krishna (1day - Purnima) Pakshe, ____ Tidhow (day), subha tidhow, Vasaraha vasarastu Ravi = sun, Indu = mon, Bhrugu = Fri, Stira = Sat____ vasare (week name) Subha vaasare, ____ Nakshatre (star), subha nakshatre, subha yoge, subha karane, evam guna visheshana visishtayaam, sriman __(your name) ____ naama dheyaaham, sreemataha ___(Wife name)___ naamnyam, ____ gotrodbhavasya, mama upatta duritakshaya dwara, sri parameswara mugdhisya, sri parameswara preetyardham _________ (eg. Pratah Sandhyam, Ganapathi Pujam, Lakshmi Pujam) karishyee...

as quoted by Chandra Sekhar Bodapati "

hi kumar,
generally prescibed sankalpams are only for india.....not for any other than bharata kande....but we follow in USA ...america kande..

illonois pradeshe...bloomington nagaryam ....anthargathe.....my 2 cents

the dharma shastra says bharatha varsha meaning also as bhu-lokam.just becoz humans have divided earth as many geographical parts does not mean usa is some sort of mlecha nagaray.mlecha means one scoffs shastras and there are plenty of them every part of the world.an universal concept which got interpreted to belong to only hindusthaanam.this is my understanding and i am just a devotee of the lord.

The sankalpa mantra is just an introduction to the place you live, the time of
doing a karma - swetavaraha kalpe, vaivasths manthvare, varshe, bharathe
kante, x nakshatre, y thithiye etc., Hence you can suitably modify these to suit
the place you live. There is no harm to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back