• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Is it OK to remove poonal for oil bath

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All,

Could someone educate, if it OK to remove the poonal for an oil bath. The poonal absorbs the oil and it becomes messy. But I am not yet convinced that it is OK to remove, can some one please confirm?

Thanks

According to orthodox custom poonal should never be removed from the body (even dead body). That being the rule, you can either do away with oil bath, change poonal after every oil bath, or, if it suits you, do away with poonal ;)

...., change poonal after every oil bath,
Pandabear, if you choose to change poonal after your oil bath, then you must change your poonal with proper procedure, not just change like changing baniyan.

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Pandabear, if you choose to change poonal after your oil bath, then you must changing poonal with proper procedure, not just change like changing baniyan.

Cheers!

Yes, that's a must. Otherwise the "Braahmanyam" is lost completely. I did not mention this because for a Brahman it is as automatic as breathing.

Or. perhaps, wear a poonal made of artificial fibres (nylon, polyester etc.) so that they wouldn't absorb oil, and oil stains can easily be washed away with soap! :) This suggestion may look blasphemous, I can see, but, the way the poonals are actually made/obtained nowadays by the present generation Vaadhyars, contrary to the correct procedure by which poonals are supposed to be made ready, starting from spinning the yarn from cotton using takli and all that, my suggestion is NOT all that blasphemous, after all! ;)

My post may be really silly. But, in my opinion, the 'poonool' gets dirty obsorbing sweat and natural oil secreted by our own body. The 'body odour' stays on the thread on the permanent basis. I always wondered about the 'hygine value' of permanent thread (sometimes only changed once per year?). It is like changing undergaments once a year. Besides, to my annoyance, I found just one thread breaking off and hanging loose; happened somany times. I used to change it every week or even at more frequent intervals. By the way, I seldom had oil bath; I did not think it did any good anyway.

Although I said there are more ways for a 'poonool' to get oily and dirty than just from an 'oil bath', here is a suggestion - complete poonool can be covered by 'cling wrap' or any such 'food wraps' before commencing the 'oil applying rituals. The wrap can be taken off after complete drying of the body at the end of the ritual. The poonool that way may not get any more oily & dirty than it was before the 'oil bath' ritual.

My sincere suggestion would be to change every week or more often; best to learn the mantras and conduct do-your-own 'poonool changing'. I see that as more practical.

Cheers!

poonal can never be removed. why can't you wash while bathing. i am sorry to say that this type of discussions araise only when we are ignorent about the importance and the basics. poonal purifies you. it never gets maligned. perform sandyavandanam regularly. feel the difference. i am in gulf . not regular in sanyavandanam while in india . here the prayer time( five times in a day) is my eye opener. really it makes wonder believe me

poonal purifies you. it never gets maligned.
Sri jbala
A simple doubt.If poonal never gets maligned, why there is a ritual for changing the it.The mantram for changing poonal itself says "upaveetam bhinnatantum jeerNam kashmala dUSitam.."

poonal can never be removed. why can't you wash while bathing. i am sorry to say that this type of discussions araise only when we are ignorent about the importance and the basics. poonal purifies you. it never gets maligned. perform sandyavandanam regularly. feel the difference. i am in gulf . not regular in sanyavandanam while in india . here the prayer time( five times in a day) is my eye opener. really it makes wonder believe me

Sir, with due respect to your inputs, there is no mention of removing the poonool; only changing the poonool more often. Lot of people are fortunate to live in A/C accomadations; work in A/C work place; travel in A/C bus/car etc. I used to work in a factory, summer time temperature goes up to 42 degree centigrade. I worked with lot of cutting fluids and cooling fluids while maching; the smell wouldn't leave my cloth until they are washed. Poor poonool? It would get dirty, I mean with allthe oli fumes and my sweat...I had to change it very often.

(We can't be serious all the time. We need some humour too... many posts only provided such humour).

Cheers!

Just to refresh myself. Poonool is worn "upaveedhi" whenever doing Sandhyavandanam and Poojas and Stotras, worn "pracheenaveedhi" whenever doing pitru/aparakaryam, worn "neeveedhi" when doing "Rishi" Tarpanam. I remember once having read Sri Paramaacharyaal saying that at all other times you can wear it "neeveedhi". I would like to know whether any contrary opinion is there. Please enlighten.

Weekly once while taking bath put the poonal in niveethi position apply detergent soap cake after 3 minutes wash it with water. all the dirts will go away; then change the position of the poonal to upaveethi,Rotation of the poonal will be easy in neveethi position.

Hello Sir - Even without removing the poonal and upaveedhi position you can rub hard with your palms and with the bath soap froth. It will be clean and white unless somebody comes up with saying applying soap is anaachaaram.

As Kanchi Paramacharyar had mentioned, that the Poonul has to be worn in Niveethi position during normal times, while it should be worn in Upaveethi position during Deva Kaarya and in Praacheenaveethi position during Pithru Kaaryaas. I should mention that many Brahmins in U.P wear the Yagnyobaveetham in Niveethi position even today.

Pranaam.

Dear Shri. Ramakrishnan123,

Can you please describe what is Hyper-religious and what is Hypo-religious?

Will you be able to define the Mind, Body and Soul and its combination?

Pranaam.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back