• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Reciting slokas/mantras without guru upadesam....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi
Somebody cautioned me that , we cannot recite sloka's/mantras/japam etc without proper guru upadesam
(meant invocation thru guru).

Some time we may not get guru who can do upadesam first time. Also my uncle used to say that if not
you can tell 'Dakshina moorthy slogam, Soundariya Lahri Guru Stothram, pray to God to forgive not taking
taking thru ) and the start reciting that slowly.

If we could not get 'guru upadesam', what is the best way to start ?

Please be eloborate.
thanks
Usha

USHA 2010 for slok's mantras,japam can perform with out a GURU. But it may add some good Karmas, no use, If you are a Marked soul you will get sure your Guru in appropriate Time. s.r.k.

Hi
Somebody cautioned me that , we cannot recite sloka's/mantras/japam etc without
proper guru upadesam (meant invocation thru guru).

Some time we may not get guru who can do upadesam first time. Also my uncle used to say that if not you can tell 'Dakshina moorthy slogam, Soundariya Lahri Guru Stothram, pray to God to forgive not taking taking thru ) and the start reciting that slowly.

Please be eloborate.
thanks
Usha

I have seen many people learning and reciting slokas without guru teaching them. but some secret mantras - now all secrets will be there in books and web also! - are supposed to be taught by guru. om namassivaaya is possible for even a child to say.

but i don't know why guru should tell it first. some belief or some fashion - is it not credit to say "i got upadesam from so and so" showing how big you are!

i can't understand why a broker is needed to know god? i will like to know if siddhargal also recommend guru.

To Sarma 61: Firest tell You are A TB. Secondly you dont know any thing about GURUs. They are nor Brokers(How cheap words used) they are sending by the creator and creator himself coming in the form of a Human Body. For the suffering souls a Guru is nead so that the soul will get elivated . Just read Tirumanthiram it says for reading this book itself required a Guru. Siddhars teachings should understand by pure Knowledge and total surrender to the Guru. Even the Om Namassivaya maha manthiram one should get from a perfect living Guru. Try to Understand with out go to 1 st std one cannot go to High school or college. Like that every Human Birth require a GURU. s.r.k.

sir:
In the case of mantras, Guru has attained siddhis conferred by such mantra Devtas.
As far as Mahavakyam is concerned, Guru is one who has realized the Truth.

Guru means dispelling darkness or destroying avidya. It is ordained in the Upanishads
that a Guru must teach his student all that he has learnt without holding back anything.

HE also passes on HIS anubhuthi to the student. The lessons along with HIS grace
and anubhuthi lift the student. Otherwise you will sitting and chanting 'Aham
Brahmasmi' , and nothing will happen except some pain in your knees. A Guru is a
Must. Try to read the upanishads and understand what is said therein, in stead of
deriding them as Brokers.

Hi
Somebody cautioned me that , we cannot recite sloka's/mantras/japam etc without proper guru upadesam
(meant invocation thru guru).

Some time we may not get guru who can do upadesam first time. Also my uncle used to say that if not
you can tell 'Dakshina moorthy slogam, Soundariya Lahri Guru Stothram, pray to God to forgive not taking
taking thru ) and the start reciting that slowly.

Please be eloborate.
thanks
Usha

You have to distinguish between Slokas, Sthudhis and Mantras. Slokas and Sthudhis which are in praise of a Deity do not need a Guru.

These are said with Bhakti. Bhakthi and Shraddha are important here.

The first words I learnt was "Gajananam Bhudhaganathi Sevidham ...."

I was taught and learnt Acchudhashtakam, Kalabhairava Ashtakam, Annapurani Sthothra and Lingashtakam before I learnt any alphabets. I recited them in the temples at Varanasi when I was not yet 6 years old. I have also taught my children that way.

You need a Guru only for Mantras. Even here not all mantras need a Guru or Mantra Upadeasm.

So it depends on what you want to recite.

Remember GOD is pleased when you recite Slokas and Sthudhis. Even if you commit mistakes, it is beneficial.

Unfortunately our religion has degenerated into a set of Do Not do this, do not do that (injunctions) rather than telling you what you should do.

Please advise the specific Sloka or Mantra so that the advice could also be specific.

Last edited:
Your approach is right, regarding approaching Guru. I envy you and recommend it.
Ideally everything must be learnt from a Guru, even if he is a servant in the house or one's own parents. The purpose of a Guru is to learn the real way of reciting a shloka or a mantra and for other purposes such as understanding its import. Some mantras when received as an upadesam start an ignition process and the realization is quicker, even though methods for the mantras are available in books. You mentioned saundarya lahiri. My suggestion - Please approach anyone who has learnt it in a proper manner, be it a sastrigal or a saint or an uncle, and learn it from them. Learning from books and cassettes/cds alone, is not recommended, it only inflates the ego of the devotee. At the minimum learning from the guru, at the guru's own pace teaches humility. Once you have learnt as per guru's satisfaction practice as much as you want using other aids! Learning from books may have positive effect but 100% satisfaction will not be there.

gurus guide ours how to use mantas and sloka in right way and time
with the guideline we able to use the mantra in right way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back