• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Poonal

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi hello,

can you please tell us a bit about yourself. you are approaching a subject with various possible viewpoints, judging from the philosphical outlook of folks from here.

it might be of use to you, to tell us what you are, and what you wish to be, why you want this question to be answered in this forum and what you intent to make of it.

i can ofcourse understand that this query might be one of esoteric curiosity. just like imagining what would have happened to this world, had not the apple not fallen on newton's head but on his shoulders!!

there may be some members here, who feel ownership to the process of upanayanam and consider it a sole prerogative of the brahmins. others may look at this cross belt more eclectically, and desire it to be worn, on anyone who is of sincere thought to study the adages of hinduism with seriousness and with effort. which is why, i wish you to let us know of your own antecedents and expectations.

i am quite sure, that you are not one of those 'one time visitors', provoking the crowd here with a tantalising question, sitting aside and watching the ensuing fish-market quarrel. :)

please let us know..thanks.

Last edited:
hi kunjuppu sir,
nalla nethhi adi....in fact i thought the same....this is coincidence....exact my thought was the same...i think u read my mind....

its called may be different body...but the soul is one....somebody provoke and others make quarrels in a fish market situation...but

i can give some answers to enquiry...according manu brahmin,kshatriya,vaishyas are allowed to wear poonal....so which category

chettiar?

regards
tbs

Last edited:
hi kunjuppu sir,
nalla nethhi adi....in fact i thought the same....this is coincidence....exact my thought was the same...i think u read my mind....

its called may be different body...but the soul is one....somebody provoke and others make quarrels in a fish market situation...but

i can give some answers to enquiry...according manu brahmin,kshatriya,vaishyas are allowed to wear poonal....so which category

chettiar?

regards
tbs

Hello tbs,
Thanks for your valuable comment.
I just had a doubt. Thought the scholars of this forum would clear it. I didn't really thought in such a crucial way. Actually Chettiayars falls under 'kshatriya'.
Could you pls tell me why should this situation provoke to a quarrel?
Is there any wrong in my query? could you pls clear it?

Hi kunjuppu,
Thanks for your valuable comment.
I just want to clarify my doubt thats all I have in my mind.
I didn't thought abt quarrel or something else.

My intention is to know whether Chettiyar Bachelors can wear Poonal.
Why asked because many Chettiyars are strict veg and they do follow all the rituals as like brahmins.
Also I saw some ppl wearning Poonal after marriage. But I didnt heared abt the Upanyanam for them. Thats
why I asked this question.

Could you pls tell me whats wrong with my question?

hi hello,

thank you for your clarification. hopefully you will get a reply from the learned ones here and have your curiosity quenched.

It will be better if you approach some elder members of the community you are referring to, to get your doubt clarified. Why should someone here speak on their behalf?

Hello Hello,

Sri.Pannvalan is right. I too think, you should direct your enquiry to the elders of the Chettiar community. They would know the traditions much better than any of the caste brahmin members here. Wish you all the best.

Cheers!

Sir, I have received poonal invitation from one chettiar who is A JWELLARY SHOP OWNER HERE; BUT I COULD NOT ATTEND IT; IF YOU WANT I WILL GO THERE ONLY AFTER TWO MONTHS; I WILL GIVE YOU ALL THE DETAILS ABOUT THIS;PLEASE WaIT.

Sir, I have received poonal invitation from one chettiar who is A JWELLARY SHOP OWNER HERE; BUT I COULD NOT ATTEND IT; IF YOU WANT I WILL GO THERE ONLY AFTER TWO MONTHS; I WILL GIVE YOU ALL THE DETAILS ABOUT THIS;PLEASE WaIT.

Hi Gopalan Sir, thank you very much. Take your time and text me that information. I amd waiting for it. Early response would be appreciated.

Can a Chettiyar Bachelors wear Poonal?
Is there any 'Upanayanam' for Chettiyars?
There are many castes or groups who use the surname chettiar. Some 60 years ago I have seen goldsmiths working in my native village wearing poonal. They used to be denoted by the word "tattaan" தட்டான் in the local Malayalam dialect (may be because all the time they will go on beating gold !). I was also given to understand that they were vegetarians.

Later, wearing of poonal went out of fashion and I found the younger goldsmiths not weraing it, though the elderly still sported it. But when they did some work for temples they - including the youngsters - used to wear poonal and were also expected to follow விரதம் till the temple job was completed.

(As an aside, a very competent and much sought-after artisan who now can do gold covering of "kodimarams" of temples and who goes to all hindu temples in India for such work is a Keralite Muslim!!)

Since many groups use the "Chettiar", "Chetty" surname, some of them may have the custom of upanayanam also. BTW, brahmin upanayanam itself was a very very simple and solemn function many decades ago and invitation was given only to few people and close relatives; even in a middle-class household the crowd would not be more than fifty or sixty people. But now with the inputs from TV and cinema, every function is becoming an extravaganza with very costly gifts and counter-gifts ruling the day!

Anyway I find there is no harm in any one desiring to perform upanayanam for his child.

Sri.Sangom Sir,

Greetings. I thought thattaan or 'goldsmith' came under 'Achaary'. All the artisans came under 'Achaary' group and all of them I knew wore Poonool. Acharys were known as 'Viswakarma' too. (Many sub-divisions under Chettiar group also wore poonool).

Source - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vishwakarma_(caste)

Cheers!

Last edited:
Poonool

Certain opportunistic Brahmins claim to be in SC/ST groups to receive favours under law. Similarly, a few people are also trying to become Brahmins fearing in the next cycle of events that group would be on the top rung! (and of course by words and deeds). A few members of this Forum would like to do away with Brahminism. It is an irony of fate or 'prakriti'. Good number of people would avoid the ritualistic procedures even if they would be happy to call themselves Brahmins.

In some petty discussions years before amongst Hindus and non-Hindus, there was an opinion that all 'low caste' gullible people were easily converted into other religion. Hurt by the mention, a christian jumped up and said "we were Brahmins and as the other man showed some magic we changed our faith in awe.

Be that as it may, one set of Poonool of 3 strands, represent a veshti (for Brahmachari), second set an Angavastram (perhaps for receiving aashirvadam by married) and third set a just 'kaipidi thuni'. The practice must have existed when there was no woven fabric. This was the explanation by Vaadhyars. Now because of the leaps of textile industry, does the poonool becomes redundant? You have a set of multi-wear - in the form of brief, veshti, banian, thundu, napkin or a pant and shirt. I think one is a Brahmin only by heart and acts not by wearing a poonool.

Let me add, Chettiyars are actually business people and even the so called 'shudra' is supposed to wear poonool. Thattaan is an oxymoronic name because he actually strikes at your gold!

Normally Chettiars are come under Vysya varnam - business peoploe. They wear poonal on the day before their marriage and some people continue to wear it and some hang it after the marriage. Shudras and Paraiyas are not supposed to wear poonal.

வைஷ்ணவத்தில் முதல் ரகசியமெனப்படுவது திருவஷ்டாக்ஷர மந்திரமான (எட்டெழுத்து மந்திரம்) ‘ஓம் நமோ நாராயணாய’. இதில் முதல் சப்தமான ‘ஓம்’ என்பது ஓரெழுத்தாக கொள்ளப்படும். இதன் பொருள் மிகவும் ரகசியமாக வைக்கப்பட்டிருந்தது. இம்மந்திரம் உடையவர் மூலமாக உபதேசமாக அருளப்பட்டது குறித்து நெகிழ்ச்சியான வரலாறு சொல்வார்கள்.

எம்பெருமானார் ஸ்ரீ இராமானுஜர் திருக்கோட்டியூர் நம்பிகளிடத்தே இதை உபதேசமாகப் பெற்றார். ஒரு தடவை அல்ல, இரு தடவை அல்ல, 18 முறை உடையவர் திருவரங்கத்திலிருந்து திருக்கோட்டியூருக்கு நடந்து இந்த உபதேசத்தை யாசித்தார். ஒவ்வொரு முறையும் திருக்கோட்டியூர் நம்பிகள் ஏதாவதொரு காரணம் சொல்லி, இந்த திருமந்திர உபதேசத்தை தள்ளிப் போட்டுக் கொண்டே வந்தார். கடைசியாக 18வது முறை இந்த உபதேசத்தை தந்தருளி, இவ்வுபதேசத்தை எளிதில் யாருக்கும் தந்துவிடலாகாது என்று சொன்னார். ஆனால் இவ்வுலக மக்களின் மேல் உள்ள கருணையினால், உடையவர் அங்கிருந்த கோவில் கோபுரத்தின் மேலேறி, ‘யாருக்கெல்லாம் ஸ்ரீ வைகுண்டம் போகவேணுமென்ற ஆசையிருக்கிறதோ அவர்களெல்லாம் கேட்டுக் கொள்ளுங்கள். ஸ்ரீ வைகுண்டத்தை அடைய வழி இந்த மந்திரமே’ என்று சொல்லி இந்த மந்திர உபதேசத்தை ஊருக்கெல்லாம் வழங்கினார்.

திருக்கோட்டியூர் நம்பிகள் இதை கேள்விப்பட்டவுடன் கோபமடைந்து உடையவரிடம், ‘நான் இம்மந்திரோபசத்தை யாருக்கும் எளிதில் கொடுக்கக்கூடாது என்று சொல்லியிருந்தேனே. என் பேச்சை எப்படி மீறினாய்? ஆச்சார்யன் பேச்சை மீறினால் நீ நரகத்துக்கல்லவோ செல்வாய்?’ என்று கேட்டார். அதற்கு உடையவர், ‘இம்மந்திரத்தை கேட்டதனால் இந்த ஊரிலிருக்கும் இத்தனை பேரும் ஸ்ரீ வைகுண்டம் போவார்களேயானால், அதன் பொருட்டு நான் நரகத்திற்கு செல்லவும் தயாராக இருக்கிறேன்’ என்று சொல்ல, திருக்கோட்டியூர் நம்பிகள் உடையவரின் கருணையைப் பார்த்து மிகவும் ஆச்சர்யப்பட்டு மகிழ்ந்தார் என்று சொல்வார்கள்.

மேலெழுந்தவாரியான பொருள்:

ஸ்ரீநாராயணனை சரணடைகிறேன்.

உட்பொருள்:

ஓம்

‘அ’காரம் + ‘உ’காரம் + ‘ம’காரம் (அ+உ+ம் = ஓம்)

’அ’ என்னும் எழுத்து இங்கு விஷ்ணுவைக் குறிக்கிறது. (இங்கு ப்ரம்மம், விஷ்ணு, நாராயணன் என்ற எல்லா சொற்களும் சுட்டுவது ஒரே பொருளையே என்று கொள்ள வேண்டும்)

1) சமஸ்கிருத இலக்கணப்படி ‘அ’ என்னும் சப்தம் ப்ரம்மத்தைக் (விஷ்ணு) குறிக்கும்.

2) அனைத்து மொழிகளிலும் (அடியேன் அறிந்தவரை) ‘அ’ என்னும் சப்தமே முதலெழுத்தாக அமையும். அதுபோலவே ப்ரம்மமே எல்லாவற்றிற்கும் தொடக்கம். அதனால் இந்த ‘அ’ சப்தம் ப்ரம்மத்தை குறிக்கிறது.

3) ‘அ’ என்பது ‘அவா’ என்னும் வினைச்சொல்லின் சுருக்கமே. அவா என்பதற்கு ’காப்பாற்று / இரட்ச்சி’ என்று பொருள். விஷ்ணு எல்லாவற்றையும் இரட்சிப்பதால் ‘அ’ என்பது விஷ்ணுவைக் குறிக்கும்.

’உ’ என்னும் எழுத்து இங்கு பிராட்டியை (ஸ்ரீ மகாலஷ்மி தாயாரை) குறிக்கும். இன்னொரு பொருளாக ‘மட்டுமே’ என்றும் நிற்கும்.

’ம்’ என்னும் எழுத்து ஜீவாத்மாவை குறிக்கிறது.

சமஸ்கிருதத்தில் ’ம’ எழுத்து 25வது மெய்யெழுத்தாகும். அதேபோல ஜீவாத்மா 25வது தத்வமாக தோன்றியவர் என்று கொள்வார்கள்.
முதல் தத்வம் – ப்ரகிருதி (matter)
2வது தத்வம் – மகான்
3வது தத்வம் – அகங்காரம்
பஞ்ச சூட்சும பூதங்கள் (ஒலி, தொடு உணர்வு, நிறம் அல்லது உருவம், ருசி, வாசனை)
பஞ்ச ஸ்தூல (அல்லது) மகா பூதங்கள் (ஆகாயம், காற்று, அக்னி, நீர், பூமி)
பஞ்ச கர்மேந்திரியங்கள்
பஞ்ச ஞானேந்திரியங்கள்
மனசு

ஆக இவற்றிற்கு பிறகு 25வது தத்வமாக ஜீவாத்மா தோன்றினார்.

’ம’ எழுத்து ‘அறிய’ என்னும் வினைச்சொல்லின் சுருக்கமாக சொல்லப்படும். ஜீவாத்மா அறிந்து கொள்பவர். எனவே இந்த ம சப்தம் ஜீவாத்மாவை சொல்லுகிறது.

’ம’ எழுத்து ’அளவு’ என்னும் வினைச்சொல்லின் சுருக்கமாகவும் சொல்லப்படும். ஜீவாத்மா அணுவைப் போன்ற ஒரு குறிப்பிட்ட அளவிலிருப்பதால், இந்த ம் சப்தம் ஜீவாத்மாவை சொல்லுகிறது.
மேற்கூறியது போல, ‘அ’ என்பது விஷ்ணுவையும், ‘உ’ என்பது பிராட்டியையும் குறிப்பதாகக் கொண்டால், ஜீவாத்மா இவர்களுக்கு சேவை புரிபவர், அடிமை என்னும் பொருள் கிடைக்கும். ’உ’ என்பதை ‘மட்டுமே’ என்று அர்த்தப்படுத்தினால், ஜீவாத்மா விஷ்ணுவுக்கு மட்டுமே அடிமை செய்பவர்; ஜீவாத்மா ஜீவாத்மாவுக்கே கூட அடிமை அல்லர், என்ற பொருள் கிடைக்கும். இங்கு பிராட்டி விஷ்ணுவிடமிருந்து பிரிக்கும் தன்மையில்லாமலிருப்பதால் (எவ்வாறு என்பது பிறகு விளக்கப்படும்) ‘அ’ சப்தமே விஷ்ணு, பிராட்டி இருவரையும் குறிக்கும். ஆக முடிவில், ஜீவாத்மா சுதந்திரன் அல்லர்; அவர் ‘சேஷ பூதர்’. ப்ரம்மமே ‘சேஷி’. ப்ரம்மத்துக்கு சேவை செய்வதே ஜீவாத்மாவின் நோக்கம் என்பது சொல்லப்படுகிறது.

நமக

பொருள் 1: தொழுகிறேன், வணங்குகிறேன்.

பொருள் 2:

நமக = ந + மக => என்னுடையதில்லை. எது என்னுடையதில்லை? இங்கு ஜீவாத்மாவை சேர்த்து பொருள் கொள்ள வேண்டும். அப்படிக் கொண்டால்,

நான் என்னுடையவனில்லை. நான் பரமாத்மாவிற்கு அடியவன், உரியவன்.
எதுவுமே என்னுடையதில்லை. எல்லாமே பரமாத்மாவிற்கு உரியது. அவன் சொத்து.
சுதந்திரம் என்னுடையதில்லை. ஜீவாத்மா சுதந்திரமானவனில்லை. ஜீவாத்மா பரமாத்மாவைச் சார்ந்தே இருப்பவன்.
முதலாளித்துவம் என்னுடையதில்லை. நான் யாருக்கும் எஜமானில்லை, நான் உட்பட. நாராயணனே எல்லோருக்கும் எஜமான்.
இதன் மூலமாக, என்னை இரட்சித்துக் கொள்ளும் பொறுப்பு என்னுடையதில்லை. பெருமானுடையது என்பது தெளிவாகிறது.

நாராயணாய

நாரா + அயனம்

நாரா:

ர = அசிது - அழியக்கூடிய வஸ்துக்கள். (ஜீவாத்மாவை தவிர மற்ற எல்லாமும் அழிபவையே).

நர = சிது = அழியாத வஸ்து; ஜீவாத்மா, சேதனன். இதில் மற்றொரு பொருளும் உண்டு. இந்த நர என்னும் சொல் பரமாத்மாவையும், அவரது கல்யாண குணங்களையும், அவருடையதான திருவாபரணங்கள், திருஆயுதங்கள் முதலிய அசேதனங்களையும் கூட குறிக்கும். ஏனெனில் இவையும் அழியாதவையே.

நார = ஜீவாத்மாக்களின் குழு.

நாரா = குழு, குழுவான ஜீவாத்மாக்களின் திரள்.

அயனம்: இந்த சொல்லுக்கு கீழ்க்கண்டவாறு மூன்று விதமாக பொருள் கொள்ளலாம்.

1. உறையும் இடம்.

இதனாலே,

இந்த நாரங்கள் உறையுமிடம் பரமாத்மா என்று பொருள் வரும். நாரங்கள் குழு, குழுவாக, திரள் திரளாக ப்ரம்மத்திடம் உறைகின்றன என்று அறியப்படும். இதனால் இந்த சேதன, அசேதனங்கள் அனைத்தும் ப்ரம்மத்திடம் அடங்குகின்றன. எனவே நாராயணன் மிகப்பெரியவன், அனைத்திற்கும் அப்பாற்ப்பட்டவன், அளவிட முடியாதவன், ஆதியிலிருந்தே இருப்பவன் என்ற பொருள்களெல்லாம் புரிய வருகின்றன. பரம்பொருளின் இந்த குணாதிசயம், ’ஃபாகிர்வியாப்தி’ என்று கூறப்படுகிறது.
‘ஃபாகிர்வியாப்தி’ குணம், சேதன அசேதனங்கள் இருக்குமிடத்திலும், இல்லாமிடத்திலும் ஆகிய எல்லா இடங்களிலும் ப்ரம்மம் இருக்கிறான் என்று அறிவிக்கிறது.

இன்னொரு விதமாக பார்த்தால், பரமாத்மா இந்த நாரங்களில் உறைகிறான் என்றும் தெரியும். ஒவ்வொரு ஜீவாத்மாவினுக்குள்ளும் அந்தர்மியாமியாய் பரமாத்மா இருக்கிறான் எனப் பொருள். எனவே அவன் அணுவுக்குள்ளும் அணுவாய், மிகச்சிறியவானகவும் இருக்க முடியும் என்று புரிகிறது. இந்த குணாதிசயம், ‘அந்தர்வியாப்தி’ என்று கூறப்படுகிறது.
‘அந்தர்வியாப்தி’ குணம், சேதன, அசேதனங்கள் எங்கெங்கெல்லாம் இருக்கின்றனவோ அங்கெல்லாம் ப்ரம்மம் இருக்கின்றான் என்று காட்டுகிறது.

2. உபாயம்.

இதனாலே, ஜீவாத்மாக்கள் ஸ்ரீவைகுண்டத்தை அடைய விஷ்ணுவே உபாயம் என்று பொருள்.

3. குறிக்கோள்.

இதனாலே, ஜீவாத்மாக்களின் குறிக்கோள் விஷ்ணுவே என்று பொருள். அவனை அடைவதே குறிக்கோள்.

இப்பொழுது மேற்சொன்ன அர்த்தங்களை சேர்த்துப் பார்க்கும் பொழுது, கீழ்க்கண்டவாறு மிக ஆச்சரியமான அர்த்தங்கள் கிடைக்கின்றன.

ஸ்ரீமந் நாராயணனுக்கு வணக்கங்கள்.
ஸ்ரீமந் நாராயணனை நான் சரணைடைகிறேன். என்னுடைய இருப்பு என்பது நாராயணனை சந்தோசப்படுத்துவதற்கே. என்னை இரட்சிக்கும் பொறுப்பும் என்னுடையதல்ல, அது நாராயணனுடையது. இந்த சரணாகதியினால் ஏற்படும் பலனும் அந்த நாராயணனுக்கே, எனக்கல்ல.
பிராட்டியுடன் கூடிய நாராயணனுக்கே நான் அடிமை செய்பவன். மற்ற யாருக்குமல்ல. எனக்கு கூட இல்லை. எனக்கு சுதந்திரம் என்பது கிடையாது. நான் எப்போதும் நாராயணனையே சார்ந்திருக்கிறேன்.
ஸ்ரீமந் நாராயணனுக்கு நான் என்னைச் சமர்ப்பிக்கிறேன். இந்த அர்ப்பணமும் அவனது கருணையினால் விளைந்ததே தவிர வேறு தனி முயற்சியில்லை. அவன் மட்டுமே என்னை இரட்சிக்க முடியும். வேறு எவரும் என்னை இரட்சிக்க முடியாது. என்னாலே கூட என்னை இரட்சித்துக் கொள்ள முடியாது.
பிராட்டிக்கும், நாராயணனுக்கும், அவர்களது அடியார்களுக்கும் மட்டுமே நான் கைங்கர்யம் பண்ணுவேன். என்னுடைய தனிப்பட்ட சந்தோசத்திற்காக எதுவும் செய்ய மாட்டேன். என்னுடைய செயல்கள் அனைத்தும் ப்ரம்மத்தை சந்தோசப்படுத்துவதற்காகவே அமையும்.
பிராட்டிக்கும், நாராயணனுக்கும் மற்றும் அவர்களது அடியார்களுக்கும் நான் எப்போதும் தொண்டு செய்வேன்.
நான் எனக்கு சொந்தமில்லை. எனக்கு எதுவும் சொந்தமில்லை, எதுவும் என்னுடையதில்லை. நான் உட்பட, எல்லாமும் நாராயணனின் சொத்து.
ப்ரபத்தியைத் (சரணாகதி) தவிர எனக்கு வேறு உபாயமில்லை. என்னால் வேறெந்த உபாயமும் (ஞான யோகம், கர்ம யோகம், பக்தி யோகம்) செய்ய முடியாது. விஷ்ணுவே உபாயம். அவர் என்னை ஆசீர்வதித்து, பகவத் அனுபவத்தையும், பாகவத அனுபவத்தையும், பகவத்-பாகவத கைங்கர்யத்தையும் அளிப்பார்.
என்னுடைய இரட்சகம் பகவானின் பொறுப்பு. பகவான் என்னுடைய பாவங்களை மன்னிப்பார். பகவான் என்னை ஆசீர்வதித்து அவருக்கு தொண்டு செய்ய அருள் புரிவார்.
நாராயணனுக்கு மட்டுமே நான் சொந்தமானவன். அவனிடம் நான் சரணாகதி, ப்ரபத்தி பண்ணுகிறேன். அவனுக்கு நான் எல்லா காலத்திலும் தொண்டு செய்வேன்.

Hi all,
I am new to this website and to this forum. Out of curiosity, this is a forum, where people are to discuss and get answers to their questions. Somehow, here, i dont see it, there was a simple question (For which i am not capable of answering) but instead of answering, everyone was asking about the intention and whether he was a chettiyar or get your answer from elders of the family members? surprised!!! as to why its a big problem. If this topic goes into a critical point, the moderators are to be blocking the same and that too, not blocking the person who posed the question, but others, as instead of answering, here i saw them posting questions.....

Sorry i was a little agitated. ( i expect someone to ask me my caste, for those, i am born to the families of "Thirumalai Madapusi" a tag given in those days by the King to my elderly in the family" and i hail from Kancheepuram).

sameera,

many of us have been here for a while, and we know, understand, appreciate and treat with respect their moniker and stylus.

however, many a times in the past, there have been individuals, who popped in and pooped. out came queries which were senseless, or with an effort to sow dissension or a trail of red herrings to nowhere.

so, in that context, if someone challenges you or someone else, please treat this as a query in the interest of maintaining the quality of the forum and protecting it from waywards. hope this is ok with you. thanks.

Dear Sir,
Thank you and my intention is not to point out fingers, and i totally understand your reasons. Thank you very much for the response.

to TN Keshavan sir The meaning for Narayana is NARA= Water yanan=living lord narayana lives in heart(Kamal). s.r.k.
OM also having different meaing such as A U M is as just open your mouth this letter will come out,next letter just both the lips touched eachother will come and end letter will come by close the lips and firest Two letters denotes Lord Siva and Sakthi and last ward born along with other two by self and all is SIVAM. s.rk.

.... ஆனால் இவ்வுலக மக்களின் மேல் உள்ள கருணையினால், உடையவர் அங்கிருந்த கோவில் கோபுரத்தின் மேலேறி, ‘யாருக்கெல்லாம் ஸ்ரீ வைகுண்டம் போகவேணுமென்ற ஆசையிருக்கிறதோ அவர்களெல்லாம் கேட்டுக் கொள்ளுங்கள். ஸ்ரீ வைகுண்டத்தை அடைய வழி இந்த மந்திரமே’ என்று சொல்லி இந்த மந்திர உபதேசத்தை ஊருக்கெல்லாம் வழங்கினார்.

This story has entered the popular psyche of all SVs and even the general public. Some have installed two Ramanuja busts on top of the temple gopuram and the temple care-taker insists that was the very spot from which Ramanuja gave away upadesam of moola mandram.

But, if you visit the spot you would immediately see how very unlikely this story is. The day was supposed to have been an utsavam day. Anyone who has visited a temple on an utsavam day knows very well how crowded and noisy it is. In this general setting, it is hard to imagine Ramanuja making any sense at all even if he was shouting at the top of his voice from the top of the gopuram. (Aside: I am reminded of the Monty Python movie Life of Brian, a group of people standing in the crowd listening to Jesus Christ giving his sermon on the mount, unable to hear him properly, mishears "blessed are the peace makers" as "blessed are the bread makers").

The earliest SV text mentions this incident, but some important points to note are, (i) he did not go to the top of the Gopuram, but only to Nrisimhar Sannidhi, (ii) he did not address the general public, only what the text calls திருவோலக்கம், which means கோஷ்டி, i.e. a formal group of sishyas, and (iii) he only explained the esoteric meaning of Thiruvashtaksham, he did not initiate the mandram to anyone.

Shri sangom is providing a gripping account of how extraneous texts are surreptitiously inserted as works of well known acharyas. This happened with Ramanuja as well. For one thing, the biography of Ramanuja has gotten embellished like this gopuram episode. Further, Ramanuja says nothing about Saranagathi as an upaya for moksham in his Sri Bhashyam. Only in one place Ramanuja is supposed to have mentioned Saranagathy, and it is about invoking Lord's compassion. But Saranagathy is the central SV concept for moksha and they point to Gadya Thriyam of Ramanuja where Saranagathy is extolled as mokshopaya. This is very suspicious. This text -- quite a beautiful composition -- may have been put into Ramanuja's mouth to authenticate Saranagathi.

best ...

This story has entered the popular psyche of all SVs and even the general public. Some have installed two Ramanuja busts on top of the temple gopuram and the temple care-taker insists that was the very spot from which Ramanuja gave away upadesam of moola mandram.
Shri Nara,

It is also the usual belief that Shri Ramanuja's guru was angry at this act, etc., as written by Shri Kesavan. Was it for just explaining to the ghoshti only, or, is that part of the story also an interpolation?

I think there is also a feeling, at least among some Vaishnavas, that the NBs so initiated by Ramanuja eventually became the Tenkalai; is that also an imaginary story?

....It is also the usual belief that Shri Ramanuja's guru was angry at this act, etc., as written by Shri Kesavan. Was it for just explaining to the ghoshti only, or, is that part of the story also an interpolation?
Yes, the text does say his acharya got angry, here is the reason, as given by the text. Thirukkoshtiyur Nambi, the acharya, made Ramanuja go back some 17 times without giving him upadesham and explaining the hidden inner meaning of the rahasya mantram. Finally, he made Ramanuja do penance for 30 days before fulfilling his request. The idea was to make sure the recipient is worthy and truly interested. Then, the acharya instructed Ramanuja that he also must test the his pupils before imparting this knowledge. But, Ramanuja freely gave it away to his goshti the very next day. This is why the acharya was angry.

Then the acharya asked Ramanuja what the punishment is for breaking a promise made to acharya. For this, Ramanuja replied "narakam" and explained further that only he will suffer narakam, but all these people will attain mukthi. It is at this point the acharya realized the infinite compassion of Ramanuja (காரேய் கருணை இராமானுசா) and said to have exclaimed his compassion is equal to that of the Lord எம்பெருமான் and called him எம்பெருமானார். From this point onwards, Ramanuja was referred to as எம்பெருமானார்.

I think there is also a feeling, at least among some Vaishnavas, that the NBs so initiated by Ramanuja eventually became the Tenkalai; is that also an imaginary story?
It is indeed imagined by some ignorant Vadakalais. No Thenkalai will accept this story. In fact there is some evidence that at least some brahmins, in the true sense of what an SV is supposed to be, became what are called சாத்தாத SV, i.e. not a brahmin. Sometime back I wrote a few posts explaining the differences between Thenkalai and Vadakali, perhaps you may be interested in them.

best regards ...

... Sometime back I wrote a few posts explaining the differences between Thenkalai and Vadakali, perhaps you may be interested in them.

best regards ...
I have read that thread but do not remember whether this aspect was touched.

Can a Chettiyar Bachelors wear Poonal?
Is there any 'Upanayanam' for Chettiyars?

The answer to the question is simple Yes. There is "upanayanam" to Chettiyars who come under the category of Vysia Varna. But Nagarathar (Nattukottai Chettiars) do not follow this. Those who come under Khashtriya Varna like Naidu, Velama, Raju, Mutharayar (Muthiraja) and Vahnikula Kshathriya also wear Poonool. Many others belonging to artisan castes like Achary, Karuman, Sthapathy, Weavers (Pattunoolkarar and Jedar) also wear Poonool. Even there are some sects of Karuneegar (Kanakku Pillai), Mudaliar and Udayar wear Poonool during their Marriage. Now members of many of these Castes have left this practice.

Regards,
Brahmanyan.

I don't understand why one should be curious to know whether chettiar or some other people wear poonal or not.Do all the so called brahmins who are supposed to wear poonal till death wear it these days?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back