Tamil Brahmins
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Poonal

Level
    Downloads
    Uploads

Poonal

Can a Chettiyar Bachelors wear Poonal?
    Is there any 'Upanayanam' for Chettiyars?
    Level
    Downloads
    Uploads
    hi hello,

can you please tell us a bit about yourself. you are approaching a subject with various possible viewpoints, judging from the philosphical outlook of folks from here.

it might be of use to you, to tell us what you are, and what you wish to be, why you want this question to be answered in this forum and what you intent to make of it.

i can ofcourse understand that this query might be one of esoteric curiosity. just like imagining what would have happened to this world, had not the apple not fallen on newton's head but on his shoulders!!

there may be some members here, who feel ownership to the process of upanayanam and consider it a sole prerogative of the brahmins. others may look at this cross belt more eclectically, and desire it to be worn, on anyone who is of sincere thought to study the adages of hinduism with seriousness and with effort. which is why, i wish you to let us know of your own antecedents and expectations.

i am quite sure, that you are not one of those 'one time visitors', provoking the crowd here with a tantalising question, sitting aside and watching the ensuing fish-market quarrel.

please let us know..thanks.
    Last edited by kunjuppu; 16-08-2010 at 04:53 AM.
  3. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    If you are having a problem with a particular thread or user, please use the "REPORT POST" button beside the offending post to inform us or raise a complaint.
    Level
    Downloads
    Uploads
    hi kunjuppu sir,
    nalla nethhi adi....in fact i thought the same....this is coincidence....exact my thought was the same...i think u read my mind....

its called may be different body...but the soul is one....somebody provoke and others make quarrels in a fish market situation...but

i can give some answers to enquiry...according manu brahmin,kshatriya,vaishyas are allowed to wear poonal....so which category

chettiar?

regards
    tbs
    Last edited by tbs; 16-08-2010 at 05:51 AM.
    asato maa sadh gamayaa, tamaso maa jyotir
    gamayaa, mrityor maa amritham gamayaaa..
    om shanti, om shanti, om shanti...upanishad
  5. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    If you are having a problem with a particular thread or user, please use the "REPORT POST" button beside the offending post to inform us or raise a complaint.
    Level
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tbs View Post
    hi kunjuppu sir,
    nalla nethhi adi....in fact i thought the same....this is coincidence....exact my thought was the same...i think u read my mind....

its called may be different body...but the soul is one....somebody provoke and others make quarrels in a fish market situation...but

i can give some answers to enquiry...according manu brahmin,kshatriya,vaishyas are allowed to wear poonal....so which category

chettiar?

regards
    tbs
    Hello tbs,
    Thanks for your valuable comment.
    I just had a doubt. Thought the scholars of this forum would clear it. I didn't really thought in such a crucial way. Actually Chettiayars falls under 'kshatriya'.
    Could you pls tell me why should this situation provoke to a quarrel?
    Is there any wrong in my query? could you pls clear it?
  7. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Level
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi kunjuppu,
    Thanks for your valuable comment.
    I just want to clarify my doubt thats all I have in my mind.
    I didn't thought abt quarrel or something else.

My intention is to know whether Chettiyar Bachelors can wear Poonal.
    Why asked because many Chettiyars are strict veg and they do follow all the rituals as like brahmins.
    Also I saw some ppl wearning Poonal after marriage. But I didnt heared abt the Upanyanam for them. Thats
    why I asked this question.

Could you pls tell me whats wrong with my question?
  9. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Level
    Downloads
    Uploads
    hi hello,

thank you for your clarification. hopefully you will get a reply from the learned ones here and have your curiosity quenched.
  11. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It will be better if you approach some elder members of the community you are referring to, to get your doubt clarified. Why should someone here speak on their behalf?
  13. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hello Hello,

Sri.Pannvalan is right. I too think, you should direct your enquiry to the elders of the Chettiar community. They would know the traditions much better than any of the caste brahmin members here. Wish you all the best.

Cheers!
  15. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Level
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Sir, I have received poonal invitation from one chettiar who is A JWELLARY SHOP OWNER HERE; BUT I COULD NOT ATTEND IT; IF YOU WANT I WILL GO THERE ONLY AFTER TWO MONTHS; I WILL GIVE YOU ALL THE DETAILS ABOUT THIS;PLEASE WaIT.
  17. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Level
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by kgopalan View Post
    Sir, I have received poonal invitation from one chettiar who is A JWELLARY SHOP OWNER HERE; BUT I COULD NOT ATTEND IT; IF YOU WANT I WILL GO THERE ONLY AFTER TWO MONTHS; I WILL GIVE YOU ALL THE DETAILS ABOUT THIS;PLEASE WaIT.
    Hi Gopalan Sir, thank you very much. Take your time and text me that information. I amd waiting for it. Early response would be appreciated.
  19. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast