• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

English Translation of Telugu/Hindi/Sanskrit Devotional Songs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bhakthi Saints like Saint Thyagaraja, Annamacharya, Sri Ramadasu, Sri Purandaradasu and their ilk have done yeoman service to the society by radiating pure love in all directions; propagating Bhakthi(selfless love towards Universal Mother and Self-Surrender) and most rational philosophies like Vedanta in a language understandable to common man.

Sri Jagadguru Adi Shankara Bhagawad Pada, who gave life-breath to Vedic Religion, when it was on the brink of Extinction; though proposed 'Jnana Marga'(Path of Knowledge), is also credited for laying a strong foundation for Bhakthi(Devotion).

Sri Ramanujacharya is regarded as the first notable Bhakthi Saint by Historians. His work later spread through out India and was taken up by many great Saints like Guru Nanak, Namdev, Sri Chaitanya, Tulsidas, - - - For many years, Pandaripur became the nerve center of Bhakthi Movement during Medieval period.

" - - - of the Vedas, I am the Sama Veda (Knowledge of Music) - - - " - Bhagawad Gita​

“Naham Vasami Vaikunthe, Na Yogi Hridayeravau, Madbhakta Yatra Gayanti, Tatra Tistami Narada”- Padma Purana

“Narada, I am not in my abode Vaikuntam, nor in the hearts of the Yogis.
But, wherever My devotees gather to sing my glories with utmost yearning/longing, there i will be, seated”​

"Whatever thing is glorious, excellent or preeminent, verily, know that is born of a portion of My splendor." - Bhagawad Gita

P.S: Classical Music (Indian/Western) has got such a soothing effect on the mind; at once the person forgets all his/her worries/problems and finds himself/herself at Peace. Even a person bent on committing suicide/murder will reconsider his/her decision.

Last edited:
BrOchevaarevaruraa - Sri Thyagaraja Kirtana

Who else, but you, is my saviour, O descendent of Raghu.

I cannot leave your lotus like feet, O treasure of mercy.

The one worshipped by great ones like Brahma, why are you so aloof?

You are the one who can save me.

If you yourself show aloofness, what can I do?

My diction is inadequate to praise and sing your glory, I am in such a poor state.

Please clear my worries and grant my wishes and save me.

O Lord of Sita, don't you have any affection towards me?

O the one whose feet are worshipped by Hanuman, why don't you listen to my lamentation?

Aren't you the vishNu who gloriously saved the elephant Gajendra?

Cleansing me of all my sins, holding my hand firmly, without leaving it, who else will save me, other than you?

- Sri Thyagaraja ( 18th Century)

Saint Thyagaraja Aradhana Festival - Thiruvayaru

"Bhakti, love of God, is the essence of all spiritual discipline. Through love one acquires renunciation and discrimination naturally." - Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa

Last edited:
Enta matramuna - Sri Annamacharya Kirtana

O Lord! You are to different people as to what they think you are. However, the deeper one's heart envisions You, the more Your grace is felt!

Vaishnavas pray with much devotion believing You profoundly to be Lord Vishnu;

Those who follow Vedanta say that you are the parabrahmam(Consciousness - brahman);

Shaivites and some others deem You as Lord Shiva;

Kapalikas pray and revere You as Adibhairava;

Shakthites presume You to be the incarnation of Shakthi;

And many others view you in many different forms

You bless all of them in the form they desire You to be in!!

In this way, Your devotees revere and prostrate before You, giving you the form and shape they wish to see You in.

To those devotees who pray for worldly things, you bestow those to them;

Likewise, those who revere you with high esteem, You are the greatest and all-in-all (Omnipresent, Omnipotent, Omniscient) for them.

There is no dearth of anything if You are beside me!

Just as a lotus plant creeps all over the span of water (in a pond/lake/river) leaving no space for anything else, Just as the wells around the great Bhagirathi (Sacred Ganga) river never dry up (because the wells are always fed with water from this river beside);
(I pray to You, O Lord! Please be beside me!)

If YOU are the Lord incarnated on the Venkatadri mount, YOU are bound to be by my side!

It is You, O Lord, who have made me to become Your devotee;

It is You, O Lord, who have knocked my doors only to grant me the Protective Asylum under Your Lotus Feet;

You are the ONE who enlightened me;

This is the eternal bliss for me!

This is the Para-Tattvam for me!

This is my moksha-marga (path to salvation)!​

- Sri Annamayya (15th Century)

P.S: Sri Annamacharya composed about 32,000 songs on Lord Venkateshwara, out of which only 12,500 are available to this day.

Willing to share audio tracks along with meaning; all those interested can mail me at [email protected]

Last edited:
Sri Gananatham - Sri Thyagaraja Kirtana

I worship Lord Ganesha, who bestows prosperity and the results of the desired goals removing all obstacles.||

I worship Lord Ganesha, who is elder brother to Lord SubrahmaNya;
who is always worshipped at the invocation of any ceremony;
who is the beloved son of Lord Shiva – the poison throated;
who is the bestower of all auspiciousness to those devoted to Him.||

I worship Lord Ganesha, who is the enjoyer of the music;
who wears tinkling ornaments of gem stones;
who is as great as AnjanEya;
who speaks sweetly;
who has face of an elephant;
who looks after this ThyagarAja.||

- Sri Thyagaraja (18th Century)

Last edited:
student of vihe,

If you translate Thiagaraja Keertanas in to English and post it here, it will be nice. I don't know Telugu but I enjoy the songs very much. You can even think of uploading a PDF file, it will be nice.

All the best

Darshan Do Ghanshyam - - - - Written by Sri Gopal Singh Nepali

O Lord Ghanashyama (one dark as a raincloud - Lord Krishna)!

Please give Thy vision (as) my eyes are thirsty.

Light the temple of my heart, O Thou who are in every Ghata (pot(body) - Omnipresent).

Thy idols are found in every temple, yet Thy (actual) face is not seen anywhere.

Ages have gone by, yet the full-moon (night) of (our) meeting has not come yet.

When Thou openest the doors of (Thy) Compassion, the dumb sing the loudest of the seven notes, the blind see, and the lame walk all the way to Kashi (Varanasi)!

(I) drink water to slake my (physical) thirst, but how to explain to my eyes! (how to quench their thirst to see you).

Give up this hide-and-seek now, O dweller of (everyone's) heart!

O Lord Ghanashyama! Please give Thy vision....​

- Sri Gopal Singh Nepali

"One must have childlike-faith and the intense yearning that a child feels to see its mother. That yearning is like the red sky in the east at dawn.. After such a sky the sun must rise. Immediately after that yearning one sees God.

Let me tell you the story of a boy named Jatila. He used to walk to school through the woods, and the journey frightened him; One day he told his mother of his fear. She replied: 'Why should you be afraid? Call Madhusudana.' 'Mother,' asked the boy, 'who is Madhusudana?' The mother said, 'He is your Elder Brother.' One day after this, when the boy again felt afraid in the woods, he cried out, 'O Brother Madhusudana!' But there was no response. He began to weep aloud: 'Where are You, Brother Madhusudana? Come to me. I am afraid.' Then God could no longer stay away.. He appeared before the boy and said: 'Here I am. Why are you frightened?' And so, saying He took the boy out of the woods and showed him the way to school. When He took leave of the boy, God said: 'I will come whenever you call Me. Do not be afraid.' One must have this faith of a child, this yearning.” - Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
darashan do ghanashyam naath mori, ankhiyan pyaasi re
mann mandir ki jyoti jagaado, ghat ghat basi re

mandir mandir murat teri
phir bhi naa dikhe surat teri
yug bite naa aai milan ki
puranamasi re

dwaar dayaa kaa jab tu khole
pancham sur mein gungaa bole
andhaa dekhe langadaa chal kar
pahunche kasi re

paani pi kar pyaas bujhaun
nainon ko kaise samajhaaun
aankh michauli chhodo ab
man ke basi re

nibarl ke bal dhaan nidharn ke
tum rakhwaale bhakt janon ke
tere bhajan mein sab sukh paun
mite udasi re

naam jape par tujhe naa jaane
unako bhi tu apanaa maane
teri dayaa kaa ant nahin hai
he dukh nashi re

aaj phaisalaa tere dwaar par
meri jit hai teri haar par
har jit hai teri main to
charan upaasi re

dwaar khadaa kab se matavaalaa
maange tum se har tumhaari
narasi ki ye binati sunalo
bhakt vilaasi re

laj naa lut jaaye prabhu teri
naath karo naa dayaa mein deri
tin lok chhod kar aao
gangaa nivasi re​

Last edited:
Shri RVRji

I have translated some of the Saint Thyagaraja's Kirtanas into English in the past two years; along with other Telugu Bhakthi saints like Annamacharya, Sri Ramadasu etc. I have translated some of the sanskrit kirtanas using online Sanskrit dictionary, however in that process have gone for corroboration with some other already existing translations.

Pranams
Rajasekhar

student of vihe,

If you translate Thiagaraja Keertanas in to English and post it here, it will be nice. I don't know Telugu but I enjoy the songs very much. You can even think of uploading a PDF file, it will be nice.

All the best

Last edited:
Sri Rajasekar,

Do you have full translation of `Nidhi saala sugama' of Tyagayya

All the best

Devadi Deva Sada Shiva - Sri Thyagaraja Kirtana

O Supreme God. O God of Gods. O Lord Shiva.
O Protector of the Universe.
Mine of nectar (divine bliss).
One with omnipotent third eye, when opened, reduces everything to ashes.||

O Lord of Lords! O Father of all!
The Highest goal to be aimed at..
One who is always in the state of equality and mental tranquility.
Embodiment of qualities: Saguna(with form) and Nirguna (without form).
O Lord of Gauri (Parvathi).||

The Source of all. One with a crescent moon as ornament.
Black throated one(one who saved the beings by storing the deadly poison in his throat).
With the radiance of crores of Suns appearing together.
One praised by Lord Vishnu..
I beg for single pointed devotion at your feet, O Friend of the poor and the helpless (Dinabandho).
One with a smiling face.
O Lord, praised by Thyagaraja||

YouTube - DEVADHI DEVA- M S SUBBULAKSHMI

"The Eternal Religion, the religion of the rishis, has been in existence from time out of mind and will exist eternally. There exist in this Sanatana Dharma all forms of worship-worship of God with form and worship of the Impersonal Deity as well. It contains all paths-the path of knowledge, the path of devotion, and so on.” - Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa

P.S: Lord Shiva’s worship dates back to 5000years ago and beyond. The Lord of Renunciation-The King of Yogis fondly called as "Bhole Nath" - Kind hearted one, who is ever eager to bestow boons.

Shivaya Vishnurupaya
Shivarupaya Vishnave
Shivashya Hrudayam Vishnu
Vishushya Hrudayam Shivaha

Shiva is none other than Vishnu
Vishnu is no other than Shiva
Shiva resides in the heart of Vishnu
Vishnu resides in the heart of Shiva
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Devadi Deva Sadashiva
Dinanatha Sudhakara Dahana Nayana||
Devesha Pita maha MrIgya Shama
Digunabharana Gauri Ramanna||
Bhava Candrakaladhara Nilagala
Bhanukoti Shankasha Shrisha-Nuta
Tava Pada Bhaktim Dehi Dinabandho
Darahasa Vadana Tyagaraja-Nuta||​

Last edited:
Sorry sir. I don't have it.

Sri Thyagaraja is a vast ocean. Drinking just one sip of that ocean took me to ecstasy. My all time favourite kirtana is 'Jagadanandakara' which i think have listened more than thousand times. I simply left for Tiruvayaru/Tiruvarur myself all alone three years back, to pay homage to such a great Composer.

It's really sad to know that most of the younger generation are not aware of these songs. I myself, came to know about them five years back when my sister(learning Carnatic classical) introduced them to me.

Will try to understand the song and post the meaning soon.

May Saint Thyagaraja and Mother Saraswathi bless me with Wisdom.

With Respect and Regards
Rajasekhar

P.S: I am very younger to you in age, you can address me only by name.

Sri Rajasekar,

Do you have full translation of `Nidhi saala sugama' of Tyagayya

All the best

Last edited:
Rajasekhar,

It is a coincidence, I am native to Thiruvarur were all the three music trinity were born. My wife is a native of Thiruvayyaru were Thiagayya attained Mukthi.

When I saw the statue of Thiagayya in the banks of Hussain Saagar lake at Hyderabad, I was really thrilled.

All the best
Sorry sir. I don't have it.

Sri Thyagaraja is a vast ocean. Drinking just one sip of that ocean took me to ecstasy. My all time favourite kirtana is 'Jagadanandakara' which i think have listened more than thousand times. I simply left for Tiruvayaru/Tiruvarur myself all alone to pay homage to such a great Composer.

It's really sad to know that most of the younger generation are not aware of these songs. I myself, came to know about them five years back when my sister(learning Carnatic classical) introduced them to me.

Will try to understand the song and post the meaning soon.

May Saint Thyagaraja and Mother Saraswathi bless me with Wisdom.

With Respect and Regards
Rajasekhar

P.S: I am very younger to you in age, you can address me only by name.

Student of Vihe:-(qoute) "BrOchevaarevaruraa - Sri Thyagaraja Kirtana"

BrOchevaarevaruraa - was composed by Mysore sri.Vaasudevaachaar(a Mandayam Iyengar who was proficient in Kkannada,Telugu and Tamil---NOT Sri Thyagaraja Kirtana.

"Aathura Muga Kari Raajuni Brochina Vaasudevadavu Nivo Kadhaa" -He talks about "Gajendra Moksham in Srimath Bhaagavatham"-Vaasudevadavu is Mysore sri.Vasudevaachaar Mudra=seal---just as Thyaagaraajanutha is saint sri.Thyaagayya's Mudra=seal

Last edited by a moderator:
Sri Somayaji

Thanks for throwing light.

There is no option available to edit the title of the post. Want to leave it to the Moderators discretion.

With Respect and Regards,
Rajasekhar

Student of Vihe:-(qoute) "BrOchevaarevaruraa - Sri Thyagaraja Kirtana"

BrOchevaarevaruraa - was composed by Mysore sri.Vaasudevaachaar(a Mandayam Iyengar who was proficient in Kkannada,Telugu and Tamil---NOT Sri Thyagaraja Kirtana.

"Aathura Muga Kari Raajuni Brochina Vaasudevadavu Nivo Kadhaa" -He talks about "Gajendra Moksham in Srimath Bhaagavatham"-Vaasudevadavu is Mysore sri.Vasudevaachaar Mudra=seal---just as Thyaagaraajanutha is saint sri.Thyaagayya's Mudra=seal

I think the correct rendition is:

bhAsuramuga kari rAjunu brOcina vAsudEvuDavu neevu kadA ?

bhAsuramuga (gloriously)
kari rAjunu (elephant king)
brOcina (saved)
vAsudEvuDavu (vishNu)
neevu kadA (aren't you)

Aren't you the vishNu who gloriously saved the elephant kind?

'Aturamuga' will not fit in here because what is described is the saving and not the yelling of gajendra, which could probably be "Aturamuga".

Sri Sangamji,

You have mentioned the correct rendition.

Please find below the entire script of the song:

Brochevaarevaruraa
ninu vina..ninu vina
raghuvaraa ..raghuvaraa nanu
nee charanaam bhujamulune nee charanaam bhujamulune
vidajaala karunaala vaala

Brochevaarevaruraa.......

O chaturaa nanaadi vandita neeku paraakelanayya
nee charitamu pogadaleni naa chinta teerchi varamulicchi vegame
nee charitamu pogadaleni naa chinta teerchi varamulicchi vegame
saa sanidapada nisa ninidadapama
paadama gaa maa paadaani saaneedapama needaapama
gamapada magarisa samaa gamapada maapadani
sasarini ninisadaa dadanipaada mapadani
saanidapa magamanidani padamaapadani
samaa garisa risaanidapa saaneedapama gaamapadani

Brochevaarevaruraa........

Seetaapate naapai neekabhimaanamu ledaa
seetaapate naapai neekabhimaanamu ledaa
vaataatmajaarchita paada naa moralanu vinaraadaa
bhaasuramuga kariraajunu brochina vaasudevudavu neevu kadaa

naa paatakamella pogotti gattiga naa cheyi patti viduvaka
Saa sanidapada nisa ninidadapama
paadama gaa maa paadaani saaneedapama needaapama
gamapada magarisa samaa gamapada maapadani
sasarini ninisadaa dadanipaada mapadani
saanidapa magamanidani padamaapadani
samaa garisa risaanidapa saaneedapama gaamapadani

Brochevaarevaruraa......

I think the correct rendition is:

bhAsuramuga kari rAjunu brOcina vAsudEvuDavu neevu kadA ?

bhAsuramuga (gloriously)
kari rAjunu (elephant king)
brOcina (saved)
vAsudEvuDavu (vishNu)
neevu kadA (aren't you)

Aren't you the vishNu who gloriously saved the elephant kind?

'Aturamuga' will not fit in here because what is described is the saving and not the yelling of gajendra, which could probably be "Aturamuga".

Brochevarevarura – Kamas

Song: Brochevarevarura
Ragam: Kamas
Aa: S M1 G3 M1 P D2 N2 S
Av: S N2 D2 P M1 G3 R2 S
Parent Ragam: Harikamboji (28th Melakartha)
Thalam: Aadi
Composer: Mysore Vasudevachar
Language: Telgu

I have written a blog on Sitapathe naa manasuna which is also from the same ragam
Lyrics (Taken from karnatik.com)
pallavi
brOcEvArevarurA ninnu vina raghuvarA nanu nI caraNAmbujamunu nE viDajAla karuNAlavAla
anupallavi
O caturananAdi vandita nIdu parAkElanayya nI caritamulu
pogaDa lEdu cinta dIrccavaramulicci vEgamE nanu

caraNam
sItApatE nApai nIkabhimAnamu lEdA vAtAtmajArcita pAda nAmoralanu vinarAdA
Aturamuga karirAjuni brOcina vAsudEvuDE nIvu gadA pAdakamella pOgoTTi gaTTiga cei baTTi viDuvaga nanu

Chittaswaram:(not found on Karnatik.com…so typed it out myself)
S, s n d p d n s n n d d p m|
P, d M, g|, M P D n||
s N d p m n D p m g m p d m|
, g r s M g| m p d M p d n||
s s r N n n s D d d n P d|
m p d n s n d p m g m n d n p d |
M p d n s M g r s R S n|
d p S N d p | m G M p d n||

I think this BhAsuramuga started only after the film Sankaraabharanam.---"Aathura" is a Sanskrit word(one can refer Mmonier Williams) meaning "Troubled with pain"---it is NOT muga---it is "Mukha"(2nd Kha)--"are you not the Vasudeva who saved the king elephant with the face troubled with pain".The Elephant was "Crying" Naraayana for 10,000 years.In all the puraanas sarva sri.Vishnu and Bbrahma have appeared in person only after 10.000 years of penance.As "Anna"sri.Krishna Premi Swami use to say only in case sri.Prahlaadha-sri Nrsimha murthy appeared immediately after "Smasthambam Charitha Karavaalo" by Hiranya Kasipu--as sri Sridhara Ayyaavaal says"Lord Siva only has appeared within a Nano/Pico/Femto-secondeven somebody has uttered a word closely resembling His name(Aasu Thoshar)--sri.Ayyaaval says "when the Rober shouted "Hara-Haraa-Praharaa"=kill-kill-kill till the life goes-(Sanskrit is an Excellent language with 2 or 3 meanings)-Lord Siva thought some devotee is calling Him and ran to his rescue".sri.Ayyaavaal was a great devotee of Lord Siva and many a time he has commanded Lord's help for him

Sri Somayaji,

Thanks for the enlightening post. i came to know about this soul-stirring song from 'Shankarabharanam' film.

Some of the words used by 'Saint Thyagaraja' are not in use now in present form of 'Telugu'. These words probably got modified into other forms with same meaning. To the present day Telugu generation, The words used by Sri Annamacharya(15th Century) are much easier to understand than that of 'Saint Thyagaraja'(18 Century) as the former has got more native words. Telugu like other Indian languages is much influenced by Sanskrit. Many of the sanskrit words are absorbed into Telugu but in the current form of Telugu, the sanskrit words are increasingly being replaced by many words from native regional dialects like Andhra, Telangana and Rayalaseeema etc. . .

My objective behind these posts is to appreciate the kind of intimacy these Bhakthi Saints enjoyed with the God in their imagination, their Supreme love, intoxicated state, complete self-surrender of one's self before the Universal Mother - - -

With Respect and Regards,
Rajasekhar

Brochevarevarura – Kamas

Song: Brochevarevarura
Ragam: Kamas
Aa: S M1 G3 M1 P D2 N2 S
Av: S N2 D2 P M1 G3 R2 S
Parent Ragam: Harikamboji (28th Melakartha)
Thalam: Aadi
Composer: Mysore Vasudevachar
Language: Telgu

I have written a blog on Sitapathe naa manasuna which is also from the same ragam
Lyrics (Taken from karnatik.com)
pallavi
brOcEvArevarurA ninnu vina raghuvarA nanu nI caraNAmbujamunu nE viDajAla karuNAlavAla
anupallavi
O caturananAdi vandita nIdu parAkElanayya nI caritamulu
pogaDa lEdu cinta dIrccavaramulicci vEgamE nanu

caraNam
sItApatE nApai nIkabhimAnamu lEdA vAtAtmajArcita pAda nAmoralanu vinarAdA
Aturamuga karirAjuni brOcina vAsudEvuDE nIvu gadA pAdakamella pOgoTTi gaTTiga cei baTTi viDuvaga nanu

Chittaswaram:(not found on Karnatik.com…so typed it out myself)
S, s n d p d n s n n d d p m|
P, d M, g|, M P D n||
s N d p m n D p m g m p d m|
, g r s M g| m p d M p d n||
s s r N n n s D d d n P d|
m p d n s n d p m g m n d n p d |
M p d n s M g r s R S n|
d p S N d p | m G M p d n||

I think this BhAsuramuga started only after the film Sankaraabharanam.---"Aathura" is a Sanskrit word(one can refer Mmonier Williams) meaning "Troubled with pain"---it is NOT muga---it is "Mukha"(2nd Kha)--"are you not the Vasudeva who saved the king elephant with the face troubled with pain".The Elephant was "Crying" Naraayana for 10,000 years.In all the puraanas sarva sri.Vishnu and Bbrahma have appeared in person only after 10.000 years of penance.As "Anna"sri.Krishna Premi Swami use to say only in case sri.Prahlaadha-sri Nrsimha murthy appeared immediately after "Smasthambam Charitha Karavaalo" by Hiranya Kasipu--as sri Sridhara Ayyaavaal says"Lord Siva only has appeared within a Nano/Pico/Femto-secondeven somebody has uttered a word closely resembling His name(Aasu Thoshar)--sri.Ayyaaval says "when the Rober shouted "Hara-Haraa-Praharaa"=kill-kill-kill till the life goes-(Sanskrit is an Excellent language with 2 or 3 meanings)-Lord Siva thought some devotee is calling Him and ran to his rescue".sri.Ayyaavaal was a great devotee of Lord Siva and many a time he has commanded Lord's help for him

Last edited:
banTureeti koluvu - Sri Thyagaraja Kirtana

O Rama, Give me the job of being a servant to You||

Your service destroys all the pride and ego in my mind||

Bless me with this boon, let me enjoy the Hair-Raising thrill of being at your service

With an Identification Badge as Rama’s Devotee, with your name as the sword to destroy the delusion(Maya)

Let me serve you being your servant, O Lord of Thyagaraja||

YouTube - Bantu Reethi ms subbulakshmi

"Bhakti is the one essential thing. To be sure, God exists in all beings. Who, then, is a devotee? He whose mind dwells on God. But this is not possible as long as one has egotism and vanity. The water of God's grace cannot collect on the high mound of egotism. It runs down.” – Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
banTu reeti kolu veeya vayya rAma||

tunTa vinTi vAni modalaina madA
dula baTTi nEla goola jEyu nija ||

rOmAncha manE vara kanchukamu
rAma bhaktuDanE mudra biLLayu
rAma nAma manE vara khadga michchi
rAjillu naTlu tyAgarAjuniki ||

Last edited:
Chalada Hari NamasmaraNamrutamu - Annamacharya Kirtana

What else is needed! When the divine elixir of Lord Hari's name is with us.

It bestows the nectar of happiness and all auspiciousness. Is it not enough?||

What else is needed! When we have the Lord Hari's name to liberate us from the bondage of 'births and deaths' cycle.

Meditating on Sri Hari's name always, relives us from the agony of passing through thousand hells. Is it not enough?||

What else is needed! When we have Lord Hari's name like a mountain of 'Gold'. It drives away all 'evils of poverty'.

Like a Lamp in Darkness, Sri Hari's name dispels all 'evils of bitter darkness(ignorance)'. Is it not enough?||

What else is needed! When we have a kirtana (song) in praise of Lord Venkateshwara; it is like a Kalpataru (wish fulfilling tree) in this world.

When the Lord's Grace is there is for us.

What else is needed?||

Jaya Govinda Hare

Bhaja Govinda Hare

Jaya Govinda Hare

Bhaja Govinda Hare

Jaya Govinda Hare

Bhaja Govinda Hare

Govinda Hari Jaya

Gopala Hari Jaya

- Sri Tallapaka Annamacharya (15th Century)

“You need to have faith, love and devotion for the Lord. Listen to this – how powerful is faith! A person wanted to go across the sea from Ceylon. Bibhishana said, ‘Take this and take care that it is tied to the end of your cloth. This will enable you to walk across the ocean in safety. But mind, never try to open it to look at it, for you will go under the water the moment you open it.’ This fellow walked the ocean for some time in perfect safety. Such is the omnipotence of faith. However, after crossing a part of the way, he began to wonder what precious thing Bibhishana had tied to the end of his cloth that could take him across the water. Thinking this, he opened the knot of cloth and found only the name of ‘Rama’ written on a leaf. He said to himself: Oh, just this! Thinking this, he sank into the water."

“Rama, who was God Himself - the embodiment of Absolute Brahman - had to build a bridge to cross the sea to Ceylon. But Hanuman, trusting in Rama's name, cleared the sea in one jump and reached the other side. He had no need of a bridge."

- Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa​
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
chAladA hari nAma smara Namrutamu tamaku
chAladA hita vaina chavu lella nosaga ||

idi yokaTi hari nAma mintaina chAladA
chedarakee janmamula cheralu viDi pincha
madi nokaTe harinAma mintaina chAladA
padi vEla naraka koopamula veDalincha ||

kala dokaTi hari nAma kanakAdri chAladA
tolagu mani dAridrya dOshambu cheracha
teli vokaTi hari nama deepa madi chAladA
kalushampu kaThina cheekaTi pAra drOla ||

tagu vEnkatESu keertana mokaTi chAladA
jagamulO kalpa bhoojambu vale nunDa
sogasi ee vibhuni dAsula karuNa chAladA
nagavu choopulanu vunnata mepuDu joopa ||​

Last edited:
Rajasekar:-(quote)Some of the words used by 'Saint Thyagaraja' are not in use now in present form of 'Telugu'. These words probably got modified into other forms with same meaning. To the present day Telugu generation, The words used by Sri Annamacharya(15th Century) are much easier to understand than that of 'Saint Thyagaraja'(18 Century) as the former has got more native words. Telugu like other [COLOR=#da7911 !important][COLOR=#da7911 !important]Indian[/COLOR][/COLOR] languages is much influenced by Sanskrit. Many of the sanskrit words are absorbed into Telugu but in the current form of Telugu, the sanskrit words are increasingly being replaced by many words from native regional dialects like Andhra, Telangana and Rayalaseeema etc. . . (en-quote)

sri.Rajasekar,You are 100 percent right.My thoughts are also the same as that of yours.Many of saint sri.Thyagaiyya's lyrics were of 15 th and 16th Century Telugu as can be corroborated frm the Telugu Palm leaves in King Sarfoji Library in Tanjavoor.There was a criticism that some Super Excellent Tamil Nadu musicians like Sarva sri.Madurai Mani Iyer,M.D.Ramanathan etc were Not paying enough attention to Lyrics.Even Kanchi Parama Acharya Swami(he was Kannada Smaarthaa from Tamil Nadu,but adept in Kannada,Telugu and Tamil apart from Sanskrit.) mildly admonished the musicians that they should give equal attention to lyrics also,because the Vaaggeyakaaras were interested to spread the Bhakthi Yogam.When a number of Telugu musicians like sarva sri.Voloti Venkateswarulu,Balamuarali krishna etc came to lime-light,the telugu carnatic music admirers,felt that the telugu lyrics needed a kind of "purification"--without realising that 17-18 th century Telugu is different from the so called "Modern Telugu",they even tampered a little with sri.Thagayya's original lyrics. --You are right--Tamil,Telugu,Kkannadam ,Malayaalam--for that matter any Indian language has borrowed a large number of Sanskrit words.There was a time ,when Kannada,Telugu,and Malayalam people accepted it and they were proud of that also.This Modern Telugu fad has come to Teluguvaadus from their "Kodum Tamil" counterparts. I hope Kannadas and Malayalees do not fall into this fad.

Sangeeta Sahitya - Written by Dr C. Narayana Reddy

O Mother Saraswati/Sharada! Personification of Knowledge, Music and Arts; with swara, raaga, tala as ornaments. O Consort of Lord Brahma (Bharathi), I meditate upon You, offer Pranams(Salutations) to your Lotus Feet with all respect.||

O Embodiment of pure knowledge in Vedas and Vedanta, Encyclopedia of all Music, sound of Atman (‘OM’). Source of Jnana, the driving force/thrust/wisdom/sweetness behind the writings of Great Sages: Valmiki and Vyaasa.||

O Consort of Brahma, who has taken seat at the tip of the tongue (rasanagra), source of all words of wisdom, bestower of auspiciousness; effulgent, the radiance of Supreme Knowledge emanating from Supreme Consciousness(The Truth). Bestower of all Skills (sukala), lighting our path(sandeepini) with sense of divine elixir(music).||

YouTube - Sangeeta Sahitya(Swathi Kiranam) - CiNaRe Sahityam

sangeeta saahitya samalankRutE sangeeta saahitya samalankRutE
swara raaga padayOga samabhooshitE
E bhaarati manasaasmaraami E bhaarati manasaasmaraami
SRi bhaarati shirasaanamaami SRi bhaarati shirasaanamaami||

vEda vEdaanta vanavaasini poorna SaSihaasini
naada naadaanta parivESini aatma sambhaaSini
vEda vEdaanta vanavaasini poorna SaSihaasini
naada naadaanta parivESini aatma sambhaaSini
vyaasa vaalmiiki vaagdaayini
vyaasa vaalmiiki vaagdaayini jnyaanavalli savullaasini||

bRahma rasanaagRa sanchaariNi
bhavya bhalakaariNi
nitya chaitanya nijaroopiNi satya sangdeepiNi
bhavya bhalakaariNi
nitya chaitanya nijaroopiNi satya sangdeepiNi
sakala sukaLaasamunvEShiNi
sakala sukaLaasamunvEShiNi sarva rasa bhaava sandeepiNi||

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​
"I know no Mantra, Yantra or Stotra; I know no invocation or contemplation, I know no stories in your praise; I know not Mudras, not even how to cry out; I simply know that to run to you, Mother, destroys all distress.

By a mistake of fate, poverty, laziness or the impossibility of becoming your devotee, I have been dropped from your feet. Auspicious Mother! Saviour of all man-kind! Forgive my sin. A wicked son is sometimes born, but an unkind Mother never.

Oh! Goddess Durga, Ocean of compassion! I think of you only when I am immersed in calamities. Do not part it as insincerity on my part. A child who is seized with hunger or thirst, thinks of his mother only.

Ignorant of the commands of scripture, utterly devoid of wealth, shiftless, indolent am I, unable to do as I ought to do. Mother, Saviour of all man-kind! kindly forgive my sins.

Here in this world of Yours, O Mother! many are Your guiltless children; but restless am I among them all, and so it is nothing very strange that I should turn myself from You. Yet, surely, it were impossible that You should ever turn away from me.

I do not ask of You, O Mother! riches, good fortune, or salvation; I seek no happiness, no knowledge. This is my only prayer to You, that as the breath of life forsakes me, still I may chant Your holy name."

- Sri Jagadguru Adi Shankaracharya
"However great and infinite God may be, His Essence can and does manifest itself through man by His mere will. God's Incarnation as a man cannot be explained by analogy. One must feel it for oneself and realize it by direct perception. An analogy can give us only a little glimpse. By touching the horns, legs, or tail of a cow, we in fact touch the cow herself; but for us the essential thing about a cow is her milk, which comes through the udder. The Divine Incarnation is like the udder.

God incarnates Himself as man from time to time in order to teach people devotion and divine love."​

- Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa​

Last edited:
IkshvAkukula tilaka - - Sri Bhadhrachala Ramadasu Kirtana

O Ramachandra, the noblest person of Ikshvaku dynasty, if you don't come to my rescue, who else is there for me? ||

Got the ramparts around the temple built, spending ten thousand varahaaalu (coins), O Ramachandra. ||

Got the pavilions built in the towers. please don't treat me as a stranger.. come to my rescue, O Ramachandra. ||

Offered an emerald medallion to Bharatha, spending ten thousand coins, O Ramachandra. ||

Presented a gold belt to Satrughna, spending ten thousand moharilu (coins), O Lord Rama. ||

Presented a beautiful pearl medallion to Lakshmana spending ten thousand varahaalu, O Ramachandra. ||

Offered a valuable ornament to Mother Sita, costing ten thousand varahaalu, O Ramachandra. ||

Presented chariots to each one of you, but my legs are chained, O Lord of the whole Universe. ||

Presented you a pretty and glittering plume with which you go about in all pride. ||

Did emperor Dasaratha, your father, presented you with all these ornaments?

Or, did emperor Janaka, your father-in-law send them to you, O Ramachandra? ||

Pardon me, blamed you as i am not able to bear the torture, O Ramachandra. ||

My life has become useless like the water sprinkled on a river.

I became worse than the most downtrodden, O Sri Ramachandra. ||

I didn't consider that the government money was so precious, while spending it for you.

Now, I cannot bear the lashes any more. Redeem me from this debt, O Ramachandra. ||

O son of Dasaratha and Kausalya, you established yourself well in Bhadrachalam.

please save me. ||

O Ramachandra, you are the saviour of all devotees.

Please rescue and take care of Ramadasu. ||

- Sri Bhadhrachala Ramadasu (17th century)

"The iron must be heated several times and hammered a hundred times before it becomes fit to be made into a sharp sword and can be bent in any way you like. So man must be heated several times in the furnace of tribulations and hammered with the persecutions of the world before he becomes pure and humble." - Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa

--------------------------------------------------------------------
ikshvAku kula tilaka ika naina balukavu rAmachandra
nannu rakshimpa kunnanu rakshaku levarinka rAmachandra||

chuTTu prAkaramulu somputo gaTTisti rAma chandra
A prAkAramula ku baTTe padi vELa varahAlu rAmachandra||

gOpura manTapAlu kuduruga gaTTisti rAma chandra
nanu krottaga chooDaga ittari brOvumu rAma chadra ||

bharatunaku chEyisti pachchala patakamu rAma chandra
A patakanunaku paTTe padi vEla varahAlu rAma chandra ||

Satrujnunaku chEyisti bangAru molatAdu rAmachandra
A mola trATiki paTTe mohareelu padivElu rAmachandra ||

lakshmaNunaku mutyAla patakamu rAmachandra
A pata kamunaku padi vEla varahAlu rAmachandra ||

seetammaku chEyisti chintAku patakamu rAmachandra
A patakamunaku paTTe padi vEla varahAlu rAmachandra ||

vAhanamulu meeku varusa to chEyisti rAma chandra
jagan mOhana sankeLLu vEsiri rAma chandra

kaliki turAyi neeku merupuga chEyiste rAma chandra
neevukulu kuchu tirigedavu
yevarabba sommani rAMachandra ||

mee tanDri daSaratha mahArAju peTTenA rAmachandra
lEka nee mAma janaka mahA rAju pampena rAmachandra ||

abba tiTTiti nani AyAsa paDa vaddu rAma chandra
ee debba la kOrvaka abba tiTTiti nayya rAmachandra ||

yETi challina neeLLAye nA bratuku rAmachandra
nEnu adhamurAlu kanTe anyAya maitini rAma chandra ||

sarkAru paikamu truNamuga yenchaka rAma chandra
debbalu tinalEnu appu teerchu rAma chandra ||

kausalya putruDa daSaratha tanayuDa rAma chandra
kAvu kshEmamuga bhadradri nelakonna Sree rAma chandra ||

bhaktu landarini paripAlincheDi Sree rAma chandra
neevu kshEmamuga Sree rAma dAsuni yElumu rAma chandra ||

Last edited:
Ksheera Sagara Sayana - Sri Thyagaraja Kirtana

O Lord reclining in the Ocean of Milk! Should You keep me in distress? (by not revealing yourself)||

O Lord Rama! I heard about Your coming speedily in order to protect Gajendra (Elephant).||

I heard long ago about Your help to Draupadi;
I also heard about incarcerated Bhaktha Ramadasu, who got released by You;
I even heard about Your fame in crossing the ocean for the sake of Mother Sita;
please redeem me with compassion;
O Lord, whose name carries one across the ocean of Worldly Existence!
O Lord of Thyagaraja||

- Sri Thyagaraja (18th Century)

"Why not? Where will he go away from the world? I realize that wherever I live I am always in the Ayodhya of Rama. This whole world is Rama's Ayodhya. After receiving instruction from His teacher, Rama said that He would renounce the world. Dasaratha, worried at this, went to the sage Vasishtha and begged him to persuade Rama not to give up the world. The Sage came to Rama and found him in a gloomy mood. The Fire of intense renunciation had been raging in the Prince's mind. He said to Rama: 'First of all, reason with me, Rama; then You may leave the world. May I ask You if this world is outside, God? If that is so, then You may give it up.' Rama found that it is God alone who has become the universe and all its living beings. Everything in the world appears real on account of God's reality behind it. Thereupon Rama became silent.”

“In the country I have seen the women of the carpenter families making flattened rice with a husking-machine. With one hand one of them turns the paddy in the hole and with the other she holds a nursing child. At the same time she talks with the buyer. She says to him: 'You owe me two annas. Pay it before you go.' But seventy-five per cent of the woman's mind is on her hand lest it should be crushed by the pestle of the husking machine. A man should do his worldly duties with only twenty-five percent of his mind, devoting the rest to God."
- Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa
-------------------------------------------------------
kSheera sAgara sayana nannu
cintala peTTa valenA rAma||

vAraNa rAjunu brOvanu vEgamE
vaccinadi vinnAnurA rAma||

narI maNiki cheeralicchinadi
nADE nE vinnAnurA
dhIruDau rAma dAsuni bandhamu
thIrchinadi vinnAnurA
nIrajAkShikai nIradhi dATina

nI kIrtini vinnAnurA